1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BIG JOE said:
For any towed RV over 28 feet, a 350/3500 should/would be the "Ticket". SRW or DRW.  You'll never look back. (except to hook up, back up, or change lanes ?  ;))

I'll simply stand by the above for a "Cut to the Chase" Linda. ([Over] 28 feet ?)  :) :)

I don't Upgrade anything... to what it's not.

I'm to old to be influenced by any Media source info. I just know what has worked for me.. and many of my old friends (?) for a long time, and stay with that. My responses here are based on that.  :) ;)

Your point about Model Year is well taken however. New or Used can make a difference.

Love these Forums.. Life Is Good  ;) :)

Joe

I think the OP already made a decision according to the posts..?????

250 would be the perfect truck.  350 is overkill. Using the logic of "you will never regret a bigger truck", then just get a 550. Really? 

I pull my 25', 6500 lbs, with my 2016 150.  Pulls like a dream.

Wow, I will start off where I ended last. What a great site with extraordinary people. All of your comments and input are mice appreciated. I have decided to go with a 2017 ford 250 gas. The Diesel engines seems to be more than I need for towing and will require a expensive up keep. Just hope the 6.7 gas engine is sound.
;D

If you mean the 6.2 gas engine, I think they're great. Mine does fine for me pulling 9000#+ travel trailer. They will run a 5000 rpm all day long if that's what you need. In tow/haul or when using the manual shift feature, the engine braking works very well. I would recommend trying the manual feature when towing heavy, it's almost like a clutchless manual transmission. If you are towing in rolling hills and the transmission keeps shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th gear, and it gets on your nerves,you can lock out 6th gear so it stays in 5th. Look at some of the Ford truck forums and there have been quite a few guys that traded the 7.3 Powerstroke for the 6.2 gasser and said they wouldn't go back to the 7.3 oil burner.

Alzee said:
Wow, I will start off where I ended last. What a great site with extraordinary people. All of your comments and input are mice appreciated. I have decided to go with a 2017 ford 250 gas. The Diesel engines seems to be more than I need for towing and will require a expensive up keep. Just hope the 6.7 gas engine is sound.
;D

Seem like a good choice all around.

kdbgoat said:
If you mean the 6.2 gas engine, I think they're great. Mine does fine for me pulling 9000#+ travel trailer. They will run a 5000 rpm all day long if that's what you need. In tow/haul or when using the manual shift feature, the engine braking works very well. I would recommend trying the manual feature when towing heavy, it's almost like a clutchless manual transmission. If you are towing in rolling hills and the transmission keeps shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th gear, and it gets on your nerves,you can lock out 6th gear so it stays in 5th. Look at some of the Ford truck forums and there have been quite a few guys that traded the 7.3 Powerstroke for the 6.2 gasser and said they wouldn't go back to the 7.3 oil burner.

Sure do like my F250 6.2
Always disliked automatics.  The new transmissions are a great cross between manual/auto.  Don't know how long they will hold up, but the concept is where they need to be.

Dreamsend said:
Th.  For towing, braking, frame, and features, the F250 and F350 are the exact same in the 2017 model.  You get 1000# more payload -- and that is due to springs, which BTW you can upgrade the F250 springs to those like the F350 via the Camper Pkg.  But truck payload has nothing to do with the original issue which was using length=28 feet only to justify needing a 350 vs. a 250.

Not True, the axles are different on the 250 and 350 for2017 plus other parts also like support bearings are ligher duty also.  The 250 has smaller lighter axles.  Look at page 52....

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_F-250_F-350_F-450_SD_Pickups_-_Specs.pdf

Do the research like I have and you will find that part number for part number, the rears for F-250's and F-350's from 2011 until 2016 are exactly the same. From 2011-2016 (don't know about 2017, as I haven't researched them) an F-250 can be had without helper springs and the F-350 can't. That makes the spring rate lower for an F-250. If the F-250 has helper springs, it's exactly like an F-350 except for the sticker on the door pillar. From 2011 until (2013 I think) the F-250 had a 2" spacer between the rear axle and the spring, and the F-350 had a 4" spacer. 2013 (if I have the year correct,) until 2016 all have the 4" spacer.
Check page 18 here:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2016/16_SD_Pickups_SB_Updates.pdf

I do see that on the 2017's it lists the F-350 as Ford/Dana rear, not Ford/Sterling.

After KDBGOAT pointed out to me in a different post that the F-250 and the F-350 used the same axle and spring components, I did take the time to research parts numbers, it looks to me like they are, in fact, the same....other than the helper springs, which is also available on the F-250. That has been stated several times before by those who obviously took more time to do their homework that me. The F-350 dually's though have a bigger axle diameter (1.25" vs 1.5") and a bigger axle tube. At least I think so anyway, according to parts lists. But it takes a bit to look through all that stuff and I could be mistaken. That doesn't include 2017's which I didn't look at. Bottom line, it's pretty easy to get led astray with incorrect info, no matter how well intended, by folks that don't fully research, like me. ?

Hello all,just joined and seen the topic here, thought I would put in my 2 cents,I tow a 2017 puma 297rlss with a 2015 Ford f-150 3.5 Ecoboost,max tow package and a small jet boat behind that and it handles it great,no problems yet anyways.

I also have just joined and also tow a 29foot Jayco 5th with a Sierra 1/2 ton With Max-tow and 6.2L. I am well under specs but right on the number with cargo cap, it tows it great compared to my old TT.

Bigger is better especially with the size of TT you have, its more expensive but worth the difference, again for the size of your rig.

Back
Top Bottom