Allure vs Allure Ultra vs ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeepmann

I have  made the decision to do my new floor. Now I need to choose which flooring to go with.  I have read to stay clear of the allure brand but the allure ultra seems to be OK. Is the issue with the allure ultra the peel and stick part or the thickness.  All the other big box stores carry many different brands of interlocking vinyl planks that seem nice is there any better than others or any to stay away from?

Throughout all the forums there has been talk of Allure. The outcome is a crap shoot. Some have good luck with it, others have not. I don't like crap shoots.

I used about 6 boxes of it in my s&b.  Used the left over 1/2 box to do the kitchen and bathroom sink area of my old coach.  We liked it, and it worked fine.  I like the way it makes a solid, waterproof sheet as you stick the pieces together.
Somewhere in the instructions it says something about not for use in RV's, but it didn't seem to be a problem in ours.

Ernie Ekberg said:
Throughout all the forums there has been talk of Allure. The outcome is a crap shoot. Some have good luck with it, others have not. I don't like crap shoots.

Ernie, is there a brand that you recommend instead? I've been to Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards and not really impressed with how any of them lock together compared to typical laminate flooring.

Have you thought of engineered wood? Usually this material is from 3/8 to 1/2 inch in thickness. The slides will not be impacted. The material is best used with a tongue and groove construction adhere with urethane adhesive. Engineered wood, adhered , is dimensionally stable- you can cut right up against the walls and cabinets. That is what I install in 99% of the coaches that come to me with no call backs.

All the other big box stores carry many different brands of interlocking vinyl planks that seem nice is there any better than others or any to stay away from?

The Ultra product is superior in thickness and the type of interlock to the standard Allure, but other premium grade vinyl product brands are similar. They are all designed for a floating installation, but they can also be glued down with a good flooring adhesive product, available wherever flooring is sold.  They biggest concern with vinyl plank is that is expands and contract with temperature, so you MUST leave expansion room at the edges, which also means covering the edges with moldings.

Avoid any peel & stick types - the adhesive isn't good enough for any but an ideal subfloor surface, not is it adequate for the high humidity & wide temperatures ranges of an RV. And avoid the types that use a glue tab rather than tongue & groove interlocking. Because of the extremes of the RV environment, you need a solid interlock to hold the joints together.

As Ernie has already described, engineered wood is the most stable and has several advantages. It's somewhat more expensive than LVP or laminates, but RVs are relatively small and material cost isn't large to begin with.  There is a lot of labor in new flooring, so skimping on materials is being "penny wise and pound foolish".

In my opinion, failed RV flooring jobs stem from poor prep and workmanship moreso than the type of material chosen.

Back
Top Bottom