Refrigerator will not turn on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TBaxes

Hello, I'm in trouble and need help. I just purchased and will be living in a 2009 heartland bighorn. I got it transported to my new rv park home, yes don't have a truck, and the Dometic fridge will not turn on. Checked fuses and no go. I may have to live her without a fridge. Help!!

Any advice? Can I buy a portable fridge and put it where the washer dryer hookups are?

Don't know what to do. Can't transport it. Please help.

Welcome.

Of course you can buy a portable fridge.
Walmart is one source.  Many others exist too. Take your pick.

You didn't say if your trying to power the fridge via Electric or propane.

Is there a breaker for the fridge?  Are the batteries charged up? 
If trying propane is there enough in the tank and is the sniffer working to open the valve?

Also it takes awhile for a fridge to cool down and they are usually pretty silent while working.

If you're trying to run it off 110 Volt AC, did you check the circuit breaker. Turn it off then back on.
If you're trying to run it off propane, do you have propane?  Does your stove work OK?
What's the condition of your battery. Is it fully charged? You need 12 Volt DC for the fridge to run.
How long have you let it run. Do niot put food in it until it's cold and try and load it with food that is already chilled. It may take several hours for it to start feeling a little cool. It may take all night.

What make and model number fridge do you have?

Yes, you can put a small refrigerator any place you have room and 120VAC power.
Your Dometic requires 12VDC from battery/converter for all the control logic, etc. It then requires either 120VAC or propane to the heater to vaporize liquid ammonia to accomplish cooling.
So. Do you have 12VDC? You may need to access the back of unit and measure for it.
That is about as far as I can go...others know and can offer more.

Thanks to all that have replied. Much of this is too technical for me to understand.  I did check the breakers and all fuses tested go.  The fridge will not turn on so I can't tell if it i trying to run from anything, propane or electric.  I hit the on button, and the display light stays dark.  So, doesn't turn on at all.

Looks like I may have to have it transported to rv center to check it.  Or I may just live out of a portable fridge freezer.  I don't know.

And don't know how to check if it is running 12 vdc. It turned on when I bought, it doesn't after being transported and setup.

I did notice one thing on the outside of the trailer, right where the fridge is, it was burning hot and heat was coming out of a vent.  Could it have burned up??

Thanks again everyone.

TBaxes said:
I did notice one thing on the outside of the trailer, right where the fridge is, it was burning hot and heat was coming out of a vent.  Could it have burned up??

Thanks again everyone.
DANGER!
If it is very hot on outside of coach where the refrigerator is YOU NEED TO GET IT TURNED OFF AND CHECKED!
There are horror stories about RV refrigerator fires. Pull the breakers both 12 VDC and 120VAC until you do.

Look for an RV technician that will come to you. Because you noticed heat I suggest you do it today.

Is there a fire extinguisher by the entry door?  I carry 5 fire extinguishers and I suggest you buy at least one more.

The one that came with the RV is very little as you will notice. 

Do the smoke and CO2 detectors work?

bobsharon said:
DANGER!
If it is very hot on outside of coach where the refrigerator is YOU NEED TO GET IT TURNED OFF AND CHECKED!
There are horror stories about RV refrigerator fires. Pull the breakers both 12 VDC and 120VAC until you do.

Yeah what he said times 4. that sounds like a fire getting ready to happen

How do I turn off 12vdc and 120 vac. I'm sorry don't know. Are talking breakers, and if so which ones.

Turn off the breaker for 120v power to the fridge. Look for a fuse labeled 'refrigerator' and remove that.

However, RV fridges are indeed hot on the outside, so you may be just panicking. The cooling unit on the backside operates at 350 degrees, so it is going to be quite hot near it.

The external heat suggests that your fridge is functioning, so is it cold inside?. Does the interior light come on when you pen the door?  If so, and the display doesn't light up, chances that either the wires from the main circuit board to the "eyebrow" display got disconnected somehow, or the little circuit board that runs the display has died. A mobile RV repair tech should be able to fix either one.  Ask at the RV park if there is someone who does onsite service calls, or search the internet for a nearby 'mobile RV repair' to find somebody near you.

Ok, the fridge has 3 power sources and uses 2 of them at a time. 12 volt and either 120 volt or propane.. The latter (120v or Propane) powers the cooling unit, the 12 volt powers the control board.

If it is a dometic you likely have multiple fuses and locations

First.. There is a terminal board, on my RV it's bottom center in the outside lower fridge compartment (The upper one on my RV is the roof vent, it's just a vent, ignore it for now)

On mine I know the 120 volt goes to this board, not sure about the 12 (you can tell by looking at the wires) if 12 volt goes there check it with a meter or better yet a test light... Bright light is good

Theory has it there is a fuse inside the RV on the main fuse panel as well

Now on my Dometic off to the left also in the bottom outside is a black box. inside are more fuses, all 12 volt  This is the master control board that tells everything what to do.

Now.. At one point I had the same "no turn on" issue you have

A technician suggested finding the cable that goes from the control board to the eye-brow (That's the control panel over the top of the fridge)

I pulled and replaced the multi-pin plug a few times on the outside (control board)

Then I pulled the Eyebrow (it just pulls off) and did the same thing on that end

Then it worked

Also, don't listen for a sound when it's running. The standard household refrigerator has a compressor which you'll hear when it's running. A RV fridge does not have a compressor so you won't hear anything except maybe, if you're standing outside next to the access doors, you may hear the propane flame burning if it's on propane. If it's on electric (110 Volt AC) you won't hear anything.

TBaxes said:
Thanks to all that have replied. Much of this is too technical for me to understand.

Others have said it but I will say it again, you really need to have a knowledgeable technician look at it. If you're lucky, the technician gets your fridge working and you don't have to buy another. Or, he corrects a dangerous situation.

As helpful as everyone is here on the forum (and they really are helpful!), considering the heat you describe, your lack of technical knowledge, and even though I'm sure you're trying to save the expense of a technician, in my opinion this really isn't a do it yourself situation

Have you tried to contact the previous owner or the selling dealer?
It's only 7 or 8 years old so I'm thinking it may be something simple. These fridges should go for years without dying. The heat you're talking about may be normal but I agree, you should contact a Technician. Let us know how you make out.

You all are fantastic with your input. I hope to have a technician out here as early next week as possible. I did everything I can do which is basically checking the fuses and they all tested fine. So time for a tech. Thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart for all your input. I hope some day that I can give back.

I have a backup plan which is putting a portable fridge in the washer closet. See one for $229 at Home Depot with perfect dimensions. Will I have any issues with this? Will it be ok to plug the fridge in there and be good to go?

Thanks again everyone.
Tom

Plan A  See what the mobile tech says.  I suspect something simple for him.

Plan B  You can replace the fridge or the cooling system on the fridge you have.  Ask service tech for advise.

Plan C  Replace the fridge with a residential fridge the same size, and put it in the same place.

Plan D  Buy an apartment fridge for the washer closet and use existing fridge for storage.  The fridge will run fine on the washer receptacle.

Make sure you have "turn on" the frig. If you are on propane it may take you several tries to make it "fire up". Just be patient and keep listening for that click and burn sound when it finally cooperates.

Back
Top Bottom