need 4 wheels down vehicle recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all for the advice.  I want to get a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd with the Quadratrac II system.  However, during my research, I came across online discusions, including older posts on this forum, that stated the Cherokee had the "death wobble" problem also.  One poster said that Jeep customer care finally said that because the 2014-15 Cherokee's electronic power steering assist wasn't powered during towing, no steering dampening was provided when being towed...thus a cause of the wobble.  Supposedly, Jeep came out with a fix in a service bulletin requiring the owner to purchase a wiring harness that takes power from the coach, and provides power to the Jeep steering system when being towed.  Anyone know if this was indeed the case or have any updates on this problem as it relates to the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I'm going to talk with the dealer today about it, but wanted to see what you guys know first.

I've read complaints about the extra cost wiring harness add-on for the Cherokee's. Then I read that some owners got it for free under warranty. Not sure what the true situation may be, but I understand there is a Jeep TSB concerning it, so a dealer ought to be able to help. Or call Jeep's Customer Service line.

I'm also told there is a section in the owner manual on Recreational Towing that gives info about a Mopar Flat Tow Kit, if required for that model.

Be aware that Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are not one and the same vehicle, so be specific about both year and model when you inquire.

There is a long, long thread on the death wobble issue on another RV website.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-wants-you-to-pay-for-a-flat-tow-harness-to-fix-the-wobble-290529-2.html

OK...I THINK that I have gotten the ground truth on this wobble when towing some Jeeps.  I visited with two Jeep dealers today, and after about 4 hours I have the following info:

First, I have a copy of the infamous service bulletin in hand that recommends a Jeep approved wiring kit that is supposed to fix Jeep shakes/bounces/wobbles that sometimes occur when towing all four down.  It is service bulletin #08-022-16, group electrical, dated February 24, 2016.  Bulletin states that it is also being released as Rapid Response Transmittal (RRT) 16-022.  Further states that all affected VINs have been loaded into their data base.  Instructs dealers to use VIP or perform a VIN search in TECHCONNECT, and that all repairs are reimbursable within the provisions of warranty.

Official subject of the service bulletin is "Accessory kit to enhance flat tow performance"

Models affected are 2014-2016 (KL) Jeep Cherokee

Note:  Bulletin states that it applies ONLY to vehicles built before 2/16/2016 (MDH 0216XX), equipped with 4X4 (sales code 514), with Jeep Active Drive II (sales code DK4) and whose VIN appears in the VIP or on the RRT VIN list.

Part required to fix problem is part # 68321424AA which is a wiring kit...total labor time allotted to fix is 1.4 hours.

Both dealers assured me that the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD with Quadra-Trac II 4WD system I'm looking at is not subject to this problem, and that I can flat tow as advertised with no problems.  Hope this info helps others that may be concerned with this issue.

The Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep GRAND Cherokee are two completely different vehicles. They are totally different chassis and drive trains.

The Jeep Cherokee has the wobble issue.

The Jeep GRAND Cherokee does not.

The Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Trac II can be towed 4-down with everything in the vehicle OFF. No battery drain, no fuses to pull, nothing to do at all.

Thanks Traveler for your added assurance.  I am aware the Grand Cherokee is a different animal from the Cherokee.  I did the extra legwork on the "death wobble" problem because I had seen other posts that implied the Grand Cherokee might also be suseptible to this wobble problem.  Just wanted to clarify for others that may have seen the same conflicting info that I ran across.

When we purchased our '16 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV in Feb '16, the wife gave up her '15 Avalon. We purchased a Subaru Forester (Manual) as a daily drive, and to be used as our TOAD (tow four wheels down) for the Greyhawk.

We towed 6000 mile plus last summer with no issues.

Towing is simple. Transmission in neutral, key on ACC, emergency brake off. No mileage tow limit. No fuses to pull. The weight of the Forester is 3300 lbs. When we arrive at our destination, driving the Forester is pure joy at 30/31 mpg. The "All-wheel drive" of Subaru has been great success for many years.

As a daily driver it seats 5 people very comfortable and great gas mileage.

I am just getting started looking for a Toad.  My wife dictates that it be an automatic.  I dictate that it does not cost more than about $6k, used. Does anybody have any recommendations?  We don't have any needs other than transportation once we get to where we are going.

Cruzincat,'
    Have a good look at a little older Honda CRV. We have a 2004 and it is a joy to tow. Highly recommended. Is my wifes' vehicle to drive when not towing and she loves it, just the right size she says. and very dependable.

Bill

I would say look at the Wrangler TJ series for the addition of a little fun when you get there - but you would really have to screen through a pile of junk to get to a reliable good one at $6K.  I just sold my 1997 TJ for $6K, but that was all my daughter could afford to pay :)

We tow a Ford Explorer -- four down -- no issues, no specific disconnect the battery every so often stuff or whatever.

We tow that because we wanted it to also tow our boat at our house, 6500 lbs.
We also needed three rows of seats for when grown kids and teen grandkids come visit us.

try that with your "You have to get a JEEP"

As Gary mentioned earlier -- people have lots of different needs for a tow vehicle.
The key to what tow vehicle you should get is understanding those needs.

thx Dale

Daleg1970 said:
We tow a Ford Explorer -- four down -- no issues, no specific disconnect the battery every so often stuff or whatever.

We tow that because we wanted it to also tow our boat at our house, 6500 lbs.
We also needed three rows of seats for when grown kids and teen grandkids come visit us.

try that with your "You have to get a JEEP"

As Gary mentioned earlier -- people have lots of different needs for a tow vehicle.
The key to what tow vehicle you should get is understanding those needs.

thx Dale
  You tow a 6500 lb boat with a 5,000 lb tow rating Explorer - plus fill the seats with grown kids and teen grandkids?!  You don't have to get a JEEP - you have to get an EXPEDITION! 

Mile High said:
  You tow a 6500 lb boat with a 5,000 lb tow rating Explorer - plus fill the seats with grown kids and teen grandkids?!  You don't have to get a JEEP - you have to get an EXPEDITION!

Where's the "like" button.  At least on the Jeep forum, they have a "like" button.  ;D

Pulling a 2015 Ford F 150  4 x 4 with a 350 HP cat in a 40'pusher.  Takes about 15 seconds to put into tow mode.  If you are looking for a larger vehicle with xtra room that can go just about anywhere it is a good choice. 

dee

A clean low mileage 2005 Wrangler set me back $14K two years ago. Wrangler (pretty much all Jeeps) hold their value. If looking for a used Jeep, find one that spent its life in the southern part of the US. They are known to rust badly in the northern states.

mickey53usa said:
A clean low mileage 2005 Wrangler set me back $14K two years ago. Wrangler (pretty much all Jeeps) hold their value. If looking for a used Jeep, find one that spent its life in the southern part of the US. They are known to rust badly in the northern states.
Ya I bought a TJ in CO that was originally sold in CO, but it spent 2 years in Ohio and it was a rust bucket.  Daughter has it now but we still fight rust on it.

I've often thought an enclosed trailer would be nice for the added benefit of a place to put other stuff too..... bikes, chairs, etc....
but the headaches of it would offset any gain
Not to mention the issue of stuff having a tendency to creep in to fill any available space
I've been thinking lately, that since my daily driver isn't the families main vehicle it would be fun to get an old jeep that could double as a toad when we take the RV out.  I like the idea of the old little ones, or maybe the newer wranglers...but I need three belts in the back for three kids so that would never work....

blw2 said:
I've often thought an enclosed trailer would be nice for the added benefit of a place to put other stuff too..... bikes, chairs, etc....
but the headaches of it would offset any gain
Not to mention the issue of stuff having a tendency to creep in to fill any available space
I've been thinking lately, that since my daily driver isn't the families main vehicle it would be fun to get an old jeep that could double as a toad when we take the RV out.  I like the idea of the old little ones, or maybe the newer wranglers...but I need three belts in the back for three kids so that would never work....
Seating capacity on the Wrangler Unlimited like mine is 5.  3 kiddos in the back should not be an issue!

Some people need to check their tow rating.

If you look at the 2004 towing guide for a Ford Explorer V8 FWD -- it is 7000 lbs

Enough said for all the JEEP lovers

Yes I LIKE it

thx Dale

We towed a Jeep wrangler for about 3 years but now have a Ford F-150 crew cab hauling a Cricket for campground transportation

Bill Hunt
2017 Newmar  Ventanna 4037
Ford F-150 crew cab
Cricket miniature golf cart

Back
Top Bottom