Upgrading Parallax Conveter Charger 7300 to a Inverter/Charger for Dry Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2004CS

New to this Forum 
Looking for help in upgrading our 2004 Chateau Sport 24-T RV. We will be doing some dry camping this summer. Our RV is powered by Parallax Converter Charger Serial# 7300 Model# 7345.
Have looked at different companies on the Internet, and YouTube. We are looking at installing a Inverter/Charger without a lot of modifications on where our charger is located know. We are also upgrading our 12v flood battery to 2each 6volt AGM batteries. We will also in the future be installing Solar Panels and charge controller. Just wanting to know if anyone has done this upgrade, and which Inverter/Charger they had installed.
Thanks for any information on this upgrade. 

The inverter/charger is a fairly straightforward changeover. You essentially rip the lower part of the 7345 out, or at least bypass it, and park the new inverter/charger nearby and wire it to the power portion of the hulk that is left of the 7345. You are basically just keeping the 120v circuit breakers and 12v fuse panel. The batteries end up wired to the new unit. Get one with its own auto transfer switch built in.

Details will vary slightly depending on the make & model of inverter/charger you choose.

2004CS said:
Thanks Brian
  Intellipower makes a retrofit kit that replaces the lower portion. It's a direct replacement that can be done in under an hour. Go to bestconverter and look up a pd4600 series. They have the best prices.

http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-series-Upgrade-Kits_c_133.html

How big of an inverter are you installing, and how far is it from your present power panel to the batteries?

It's very likely the existing cables between the power panel and the batteries are too long and too thin to support an inverter larger than a couple of hundred watts.

A more practical installation would be to mount the new inverter/charger close to the batteries (but not in the same compartment)and connect it directly to the batteries using short, thick cables.  Then the existing cables to the power panel deliver power from the batteries to the 12 volt fusepanel just like they do when you're boondocking.  Leave the existing converter in place, just disconnect it's 120 volt power feed.  This way it's ready to reconnect if the inverter/charger dies.

Thanks Lou
Maybe I am overthinking this upgrade. Our RV is only 24 foot long. Right now everything works great. I am planning to install 2 6v batteries, just thought I could upgrade Inverter/Charger at the same time. I just thought I could find a company would make one that would fit in the same place as ours does now. Inside under the bed. Maybe I will just buy a 500watt Inverter that I could plug on the dash in while driving or hook up the electrical power to charge computer, phones.

Intellipower makes a retrofit kit that replaces the lower portion. It's a direct replacement that can be done in under an hour. Go to bestconverter and look up a pd4600 series.

That's an excellent choice as a replacement converter/charger, but it's not an inverter, which is what 2004CS asked about.  Not sure if 2400CS actually needs/wants in inverter, though. People often confuse inverter & converter function.

Perhaps this is a good time to ask 2400CS what he is trying to accomplish rather than what hardware to choose. Better charging system?  Longer battery life? Powering some 120v appliances?

You already have a fairly good charger, why not just add a stand alone inverter and transfer switch and keep the existing charger in place.  When I bought my motorhome the previous owner was in the middle of doing a similar upgrade, had already bought the inverter, but had not yet installed it.  In my case the new inverter was a Xantrex ProWatt SW as well as the accessory external automatic 120V transfer switch.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I just emailed 3 companies to see about upgrading to a 1500w Inverter/Charger with a auto transfer switch built in. I want to be able to use 120v items when we are dry camping. And by adding 2each 6v batteries I will be able to be able to dry camp longer and not have to charge the batteries as often with our generator.

I see someone recommended the Progressive Dynamics intella power 4600  and that is a great upgread to the 7300 but... he wanted an inverter/charger, that's just a converter(Charger).

How I did mine.. and this is the best advice I can give. though Mine got changed later. But well One big difference.

There is a wire on a circuit breaker in your distribution panel that goes back to the Electronics section of the 7300, disconnect and tape off. ..

Install a SUB PANEL, this is a 2nd distribution panel for 120 volt only, it has room for just a few breakers, no main breaker (Well optional main breaker) neutral and ground NOT bonded

Move circuits you wish to run on inverter to THIS box

Replace one of the breakers with a breaker recommended by the inverter/charger manufacturer (in my case (Xantrex Prosine 2.0, 2,000 watt true sine) that's 30 amps

Run the proper wire from there to the inverter... and back to the sub panel

Mount inverter near the batteries (As close as possible but NOT in the same compartment)

Short HEAVY (Like 0000ga) wires for a 2,000 watt inverter and tape the red and black leads side by side for as much of the run as possible.. proper fuse as well.. one pair of GC-2 Batteries (220 amp hour at 12 volt) or equivlent for each 1,000 watts is the minimum.

That's about it..

What will change

your current system
if you have the batteries DISCONNECTED and are plugged in lights fans, water pump, and all 12 volt stuff still works.. But the batteries do not charge

New system.. If battery disconnected, Nothing works,, (except the inverter) but batteries charge if plugged in.

In my case.. I disabled the inverter's charger and went back to my original, but I have an Intella Power 9180 with wizard not a 7300... I do use the inverter's charger as a "Back up" for when I accidently unplug the 9180

I looked at BestConverter.com  They have a Samlax PST 2000 Inverter, and Lifeline AGM Batteries.
I sent them a email if I needed to upgrade my Parallax converter charger 7300 to be able to charge AGM batteries? Did not want to upgrade to AGM batteries if my converter charger could not charge them.
Thanks for all the information I received hopefully I get the right answers I am looking for.

Any converter/charger can charge AGM batteries, but some are more optimal than others. AGMs like slightly different charge voltages and may charge slightly faster and last slightly longer if the charger has an AGM-specific parameter (charge profile).  Since your 7300 isn't even optimal for flooded cell batteries, an AGM isn't at its best with it.  Most any 3-stage charger will do a decent job with AGMs, but one with an AGM charge profile is still slightly better.

The advantages of an AGM-specific charge profile can be demonstrated in the lab under controlled conditions, but is much harder to pin down in the real world because there are many variables in battery life and performance and the vagaries of typical RV use make it nigh impossible to identify how any one factor may have affected it.

The Samlex 2000 you referenced is an inverter only and not a charger or converter. It would give inverter capability (12vdc-->120vac) but your 7300 would still be doing the charging and 12v to supplement the battery when on shore power. The PS 2000 also has no transfer switch, so you would have to handle the changeover manually.

In the Samlex brand you would want one of their inverter/charger models.
http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductsList.aspx?cid=S51

Also, there is little point in buying a high-watt inverter when you only have a modest battery bank. A pair of GC2 6v's can only provide 200-230 amp-hours (AH) and an inverter demand greater than around 1000W will quickly deplete it and drop the voltage to the point where the inverter shuts down. I would suggest a 1000W-1200W inverter/charger.

Thanks everyone  Received the email today. I need to upgrade my Parallax 7300 converter charger. If I want to add AGM batteries as others have said. Faster charging time, Better for batteries. Thanks Gary found out also that with just 2each 6v AGM batteries. It would be better to just have a 1000watt Inverter. Puts less load on batteries.   
Will update when I have Ordered and installed batteries, converter/charger, and Inverter.

The inverter load on the batteries is whatever the actual wattage draw may be, regardless of the inverters max capability. Buying a lower capacity inverter is a dollar cost savings, not a battery aid.

You can install an inverter that has its own charger and transfer switch built in as a single unit, or you can buy inverter, charger and switching separately.

Something like the Xantrex Freedom HF, available in 1000W and 1800W models, would probably suit your needs nicely. There are similar products from all the major brands.
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-hf-newgen.aspx

Thanks for all your help. I ordered the upgrade for my converter charger, and also 2 each 6v AGM batteries. My wife will retire next mouth and will decide on what size Inverter we will need or don't need.
Again thanks for all the information and help.

Received and installed WFCO ULTRA 3 Deck Mount Converter WF 8945 Rep 45amp Rep Kit from bestconverter.com
Took someone advice before taking any wires off my old unit was to take pictures. Also draw a diagram of size fuses, and color of wires. Had one problem had 2 sets of orange wires going to the same fuse, it was real hard to get the two wires in the same slot while trying to tighten down screw at the same time. Here is the old unit and new unit pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 15
Forgot everything worked great did not blow any fuses. I was sweating that when I hooked up old battery to test unit. Next thing when I get two sunny days in a row is to install 2 AGM battery and to install battery cut out switch. Again thanks for all the information.

To close out this question of upgrade. Just came back from a 3 weeks road trip. Converter/charger worked great. Spent a total of 10 days dry camping. Everything worked great no problems with 2 each 6v AGM batteries I installed.
Thanks again for every ones feedback. This RV Forum is the best. I convinces our RV friends to join your RV Forum because if anything happens and you want advince to fix or replace items you will get the best information from here.

Back
Top Bottom