EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: direct tv vs dish  (Read 2002 times)

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
Re: direct tv vs dish
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »
Where did u find year warranty, guy on Amazon has 90 days?
Thought I read it has the manufacturer warranty. I could be wrong, i'll look into it.
2016 Jayco TT Triple slide 33RBTS
2016 Chevy Tahoe

Sailorkane

• ---
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »
I'm also looking at this.  Have the Directv setup at home with 54 (newest) receiver.  For the motorhome, I set up a portable dish on a tripod.  I bring the receiver from home.  I don't tell Directv that I'm traveling.  My Tampa channels work in Florida, but they disappear outside of Florida, but that doesn't bother me.   It takes perhaps a half hour to set up the antenna, but is a bit tricky to get the azimuth and elevation and tilt just right.  It certainly doesn't pay to set up unless we are staying in one spot for a week or more.  And the antenna is sitting out somewhere where it can get ripped off or knocked down.  The only truly automatic way to get all 3 satellites including HD with an automatic unit appears to be the Trav'ler model for $1500, plus installation on the roof.  The problem appears to be that tilt has to be set to get 3 satellites, which is a function of location, and the older automatic units are elevation and azimuth only.  The portable can't be installed on the roof because the arm is fixed, not hinged, so you could not stow the antenna, and can't adjust tilt, so won't get all 3 satellites in any event.  So, is satellite 101 the one with the most channels?  Can the King Quest automatically get satellite 101 (SD only) with Directv receiver 54?
$1500 is too rich for my blood.  But $500 or less would be OK, even if just SD and one satellite.
Is there any way to just upgrade the older antenna that came with the motorhome (2003 Winnebago)?  Add a new SWM or something?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 02:08:46 PM by Sailorkane »
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39WD, Freightliner, Cat 3126E 330HP.  Diesel Pusher.

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »
I'm also looking at this.  Have the Directv setup at home with 54 (newest) receiver.  For the motorhome, I set up a portable dish on a tripod.  I bring the receiver from home.  I don't tell Directv that I'm traveling.  My Tampa channels work in Florida, but they disappear outside of Florida, but that doesn't bother me.   It takes perhaps a half hour to set up the antenna, but is a bit tricky to get the azimuth and elevation and tilt just right.  It certainly doesn't pay to set up unless we are staying in one spot for a week or more.  And the antenna is sitting out somewhere where it can get ripped off or knocked down.  The only truly automatic way to get all 3 satellites including HD with an automatic unit appears to be the Trav'ler model for $1500, plus installation on the roof.  The problem appears to be that tilt has to be set to get 3 satellites, which is a function of location, and the older automatic units are elevation and azimuth only.  The portable can't be installed on the roof because the arm is fixed, not hinged, so you could not stow the antenna, and can't adjust tilt, so won't get all 3 satellites in any event.  So, is satellite 101 the one with the most channels?  Can the King Quest automatically get satellite 101 (SD only) with Directv receiver 54?
$1500 is too rich for my blood.  But $500 or less would be OK, even if just SD and one satellite.
Is there any way to just upgrade the older antenna that came with the motorhome (2003 Winnebago)?  Add a new SWM or something?

Correct, the satellite 101 is what the Quest will dial in. It carries everything but the locals, the way I understood. All in SD. Here is a list of what each satellite sends. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/directv-101-110-119-channel-tp-assignment-lists-pdf.100091/

Not sure what you mean on the upgrade for the Winnebago. If it has a roof mount dish now but older one, you covered the topic in your post about a 1500.00 dish, which I think would be the answer.
2016 Chevy Tahoe

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »
UPDATE

As I sit here and enjoy a cup of coffee, my last 5 days or so have been pretty consistant with being able to watch satellite TV with my setup. I had an intermentant issue with a bad coax cable for the first day or so. After calling King, we diagnosed it and I replaced the cable. The overall setup works pretty good. I get the channels I get at home but in SD. Which I'm OK with. I ran HDMI cables to the 3 TVs I have in my TT and ran them thru a splitter which allows me to turn on the system and watch the same channel on all 3 TVs. I take the remote for the dish with me and it works no matter where I am (radio frequency). A neat option for watching the baseball game or whatever, plus it gives TV everywhere.

The dish needs itself is pretty cool, I have elected to not install it on my roof because I camp at a wooded site a few times a year. I have it on a 50 foot coax for easy movement.

Weather has not affected it yet, we have a pretty bad rainstorm and no issues.

My only real issues is that I get an error of some sort that comes on the screen every once and again that is on the bottom of the TV but goes away shortly after. I have found that if I record the channel I am watching and then play it back, the error will not come on.

Overall happiness out of 1 to 10.....   I'm at an 8 or 9, no tweeking the dish, complete flexibility, free TV, keeps myself and the kids occupied if needed.
2016 Chevy Tahoe

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 10:37:39 PM »
Getting ready to order my KQ4100 tonight from Amazon and they dropped the price... makes me wonder if something new is coming out! ha... I wish a HD one was.... anyone hear any rumors?  Donna
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

docj

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
Is this correct that some channels that are only in HD will not work... anyone with a King Quest and Direct TV answer this????? Are we talking ABC, CBS, etc.??????????????? 

I'm pretty sure that all the major channels are available in SD on the 101 satellite.  The HD-only channels that I'm aware of are some small-market local channels.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 08:57:18 AM »
Getting ready to order my KQ4100 tonight from Amazon and they dropped the price... makes me wonder if something new is coming out! ha... I wish a HD one was.... anyone hear any rumors?  Donna

It's not likely you'll see a dome style antenna for DTV that receives both HD and SD programming unless someone develops a combination KA/KU band single LNB. And with the small market for one, that's probably not going to happen.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

docj

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
It's not likely you'll see a dome style antenna for DTV that receives both HD and SD programming unless someone develops a combination KA/KU band single LNB. And with the small market for one, that's probably not going to happen.

And another point that often gets overlooked, is that a dome system can only point at one satellite at a time.  On both DTV and Dish three satellites are used for the full complement of HD channels.  If you have a DVR and want to record a channel while watching another or record multiple channels at the same time a dome system is of limited use unless all the channels you want to record are being broadcast from the same satellite.  We rarely watch TV in "real time"; we find it far too constraining to have to be available at a specific time to watch a show.  We pretty much record everything we watch from the news, to prime time shows to late-night TV.  For us (and many other full-timers) a dome system simply doesn't cut it.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
And another point that often gets overlooked, is that a dome system can only point at one satellite at a time.  On both DTV and Dish three satellites are used for the full complement of HD channels.  If you have a DVR and want to record a channel while watching another or record multiple channels at the same time a dome system is of limited use unless all the channels you want to record are being broadcast from the same satellite.  We rarely watch TV in "real time"; we find it far too constraining to have to be available at a specific time to watch a show.  We pretty much record everything we watch from the news, to prime time shows to late-night TV.  For us (and many other full-timers) a dome system simply doesn't cut it.

Exactly, Joel, and one of the reasons we prefer our triple LNB manual dish and Dish multiple tuner Hopper w/Sling receiver. There are times that we're recording 4 programs at once across multiple satellites.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Hosted by Over The Network