gps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susiej

Need a RV GPS. We have a back up camera on our Siesta (26 ft.). Any recommendations?

NEED?  I don't think you need a RV GPS with a TT that size.

Your weight, length, and height should be able to go on almost any roads in the USA.
Except maybe dead end ones.

Yes you can spend the extra money if you want to.

Most regular GPS units will work in my opinion.

Someone with a Class A 40-45ft towing a vehicle or a trailer would be more in need of a dedicated RV GPS unit, IMO.

But since you asked the Garmin RV760 is one of the more popular units on the market.
The RV770 is coming out - but at this time, has not been released yet and of course it costs more.

There are other units too.  Google RV GPS units  - and I'm sure you will get a lot of info.....

We just completed a 6000 tour using a regular gps. It worked fine and we were in  a 40 ft dp pulling a toad. As always you have to be aware of your height and weight. Most roads tell you well in advance of low clearances or weight restrictions.

I am getting confused. Aren't there some RV GPS units that have GoodSam mapping capabilities or extra POI's already on the unit such as campgrounds.

I think the above posts probably assumed that you were expecting to need height, width and weight information entered in your GPS, rather than campground information. There is a Garmin, a Rand McNally, and probably a couple more GPSs aimed at RVs, and yes they include some campground information (I don't have one, so don't know how much), but I use Allstay's Camp & RV app for my phone, for campground information. It includes just about all the commercial campgrounds, city, state and National parks, Forest Service, Corps of Engineers and other campgrounds, along with a list of many Wlmarts, rest areas and other such where you might spend a night.

On each campground, it lists not only how many of what type site (back in, pull thru, full hookup, electric only), amenities (pool, etc.) and much more, including phone numbers and websites (plus it'll dial the phone number for you, if you wish). It'll even display a map and guide you to the campground (if you have internet service, of course).

Someone else will have to give you more info on RV GPSs.

We used the RVPARKY app and it worked very well. I found the reviews very helpful to weed out the crappy campgrounds. I added my own reviews as well on ones we used but didnt have many reviews. It helps save others the trouble of going there to find out they are no good. Im sure my gps has a setting for larger vehicles to help direct you around low bridges and weigh restricted roads. As i stated we found these were well signed ahead and we only encountered one bridge we had to reroute around due to weight.

We have a Garmin Nuvi 2757 and love it.  No, it is not specific to RVs but lists can be downloaded from the POI (Point of Interest) Factory that include an excellent file of more than 21,925 North American campgrounds, Cracker Barrel locations, Flying J/Pilot locations, WalMarts, national parks, state parks, and numerous other categories of interest to RVers.  You download the ones you want.  It used to include a low clearance POI but the file was too difficult and time consuming to maintain so it was dropped.

ArdraF

I used a standard GPS (Garmin Nuvi 1300) and it worked OK.  Last year I purchased a Garmin RV660 and I would not go back to a standard GPS.  It is not only great while on the road but makes trip planning easy.  Happy RVing everyone.

I have the GoodSam RandMcNally 7735, and it has kept me out of trouble with low bridges and weight restrictions.  I like the function where it helps me find a nearby campground.  In addition, it also shows gas stations, food, and other services along freeways.  And also it is big enough to see easily when on the dash.

Like every GPS however, it very occasionally wants to send you down someone's driveway or on a non-existent road, so I do keep a map handy and plan out my route ahead of time.

larrypowellnc said:
I used a standard GPS (Garmin Nuvi 1300) and it worked OK.  Last year I purchased a Garmin RV660 and I would not go back to a standard GPS.  It is not only great while on the road but makes trip planning easy.  Happy RVing everyone.

Does this one have trip planning and campground locations etc?

Susiej said:
I am getting confused. Aren't there some RV GPS units that have GoodSam mapping capabilities or extra POI's already on the unit such as campgrounds.
You should be traveling with a laptop or a cell phone which will work much better for POIs and route planning. A GPS is for giving directions.

Another vote for the RV660, I also have an older nuvi but like the RV600 much better. Also down loaded Base camp with the 660 and like it too. You can do every thing on your PC and down load it to the Garmin. Works for me.

I am a Graduate of Google U.  Just use google maps to google "campgrounds near ......"  then look at reviews and individual campground websites of those that fit your needs. 

I use my phone (Droid Turbo 2) and google maps to get where (as gps) I am going blue tooth paired with my JVC stereo in my RV.  This sends a return text to anyone who texts me that I am driving, and directions are heard over the stereo speakers.  Twice campgrounds have had recommended routes to avoid a low underpass and the other a one lane bridge, both times google took me the correct way.  I believe (don't know for fact) that google automatically believes you are driving a pretty large vehicle. 

Disclaimer:  On our most recent trip a section of interest from Laramie Wy to Colorado Springs google took us on US 287S to W. Colorado RD 72 to I-25 S.  We were not aware that W CR72 was a dirt road.  It was a nice day and we saw  semis using this same "shortcut".  It was for about 2 miles and then back to pavement.  This was the first time google potentially let us down.

The reason I bought a RV660 was google. I got to see the back country of Ark and Mo. on a trip this summer. When I got home the first thing I did was buy the RV660. I had 82 miles of 1 1/2 lane back roads between the 2 states, that was enough for me. Not saying the Garmin will never do that, but I've been on 2 road trips since and the Garmin did great for me. I DO also have a road atlas too now, where I didn't before.

am a Graduate of Google U.  Just use google maps to google "campgrounds near ......"

That's fine, so long as you have adequate cell reception. Many of us are out of cell range often enough that a dedicated GPS is a big plus.

I have the Garmin RV770 and am very happy with it.  I was going to get the rv760 but off for the newer model.  Very glad I did the screen on the 770 is excellent.
We also use various phone apps for rv park research then the gps for directions.

Charlie 5320 said:
Another vote for the RV660, I also have an older nuvi but like the RV600 much better. Also down loaded Base camp with the 660 and like it too. You can do every thing on your PC and down load it to the Garmin. Works for me.

I just purchased an RV 660 (I knew that Cabela's gift card would come in handy lol) and will use it for the first time this weekend.  I've spent a bit of time updating and poking around, and it seems really cool. 

I'm interested in what base camp can really do.  Garmin's site doesn't really tell you very much.  How do you like it?  You're saying you can create a route there and import to your device?  Any other helpful features?

I'd love to hear a bit about how you use it and what you like.  :)

Also, I'm upgrading from a Nuvi that's from ca. 2006.  BIG difference!  I think the lane assist feature alone is worth the price of admission!

FunSteak said:
I just purchased an RV 660 (I knew that Cabela's gift card would come in handy lol) and will use it for the first time this weekend.  I've spent a bit of time updating and poking around, and it seems really cool. 

I'm interested in what base camp can really do.  Garmin's site doesn't really tell you very much.  How do you like it?  You're saying you can create a route there and import to your device?  Any other helpful features?

I'd love to hear a bit about how you use it and what you like.  :)
I've only used it a couple times, so don't know all the features, but I used it to set up a trip I went on then down loaded it to the Garmin. You can actually change the route if you don't like the route it picks for you. You can add stops ect.

Mostly I relied on smart gadgets like a hiking watch from Casio, Garmin or personally liked G shock for most of the outdoor trip. these timepieces are evolving like hell and we really not underestimate their features this source contains genuine reviews specifically for hiking, they reviewed the watches of Garmin, Casio, G shock, Timex, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom