New Keystone Cougar or a lightly used Arctic Fox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oregonnativekory

If you had your choice, would you rather purchase a new Keystone Cougar or a lightly used Arctic Fox. These are the two brands that I am looking at for a full time trailer. Are there significant quality or resale differences? A new Arctic Fox is a bit out of my price range but I may be able to swing a new Cougar. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

You'll get more for your money going "lightly used" every time, with RV's anyway as long as the rig was well-maintained and is in good condition.  They depreciate horribly in their first few years... trailers not as much as motorhomes, but still a trend I prefer to avoid.

Buy what you like.

Bolt on /add on accessories make them all pretty cool.

Used is better, low ball it you might be shocked. (a sweet deal will taste great for years as you sit and enjoy a cold one under the awning everytime)

It wont matter what brand it is when you go to sell it.

Triple slide Jayco said:
It wont matter what brand it is when you go to sell it.
I disagree with this statement. There is a reasonable difference in resale price between high quality units and lower quality units. Some of it is the difference in initial price, but the better built units just hang together better over the long haul which makes them more valuable on resale. Of course the owner maintenance is a huge part of resale, but of two equally maintained units you will get more for the higher quality unit.

The price for the camper new, clearly indicates which one is better quality.

The used camper should have all of the factory new issues resolved, already suffered the new unit depreciation, and be ready to take camping.

This is a no brainer.  Go better quality used.  Arctic Fox!

Factory issues on an Arctic Fox?

We had TWO.  A plug that didn't work and a small plumbing leak.  Both were fixed in one visit.

We had good luck with our next one, a Keystone Montana.  But it was nowhere near the quality of the AF.

On the other hand, the AF was the plain Jane compared to the Montana.

When buying a used vehicle (car, boat, rv, etc) I look at the ads and see which brands are being sold. If the majority of one brand is on the market for resale, then to me there is a good bet that customer dissatisfaction with that brand is high.

We are on our second Keystone Cougar, WESTERN EDITION, 21rbswe, TT, and really have loved our Cougars. We did not like Artic Fox layout, but the storage and layout of Cougar is so nice! We have Polar Package and have camped in very cold weather.  The Cougar is lighter in weight and much less $$, for those who are looking... give the Keystone a chance, lemons in every brand! we bought two used and decided which one we wanted to KEEP and then bought new from dealer. The added features from the 2015 to 2017 was awesome!

Back
Top Bottom