Towing X 3!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgcardoc

I saw a 40 foot (or so) diesel pusher going down I 10 - heading into the Phoenix metro area, flat towing a full size crew cab Chevy truck which was hooked up to a utility trailer with a 4 seat RZR on it. That's a lot of meat and potatoes going down the road but a good buddy mine of says that is illegal. He says you can tow a 5th wheel with a trailer behind it, but not the set up I described. But it would sure solve my problem of needing all my stuff when I get where I'm going. Thoughts?

When towing double you run the serious risk of being ask to explain your action to a judge

Is it safe?  Well, if the first trailer is a 5th wheel perhaps  Multiple "Bumper pull" types,, (Proper trailer hitch) I'm not so sure...

Woudl I do it.. NO

But it does get done

You also have to consider maximum consist length issues.

Not sure where I saw it, but there was a motorhome pulling a pickup on a trailer, which had a 5th wheel attached. Deadly to say the least

Here is one list of state towing laws.

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

In some states, a tow vehicle and two trailers is a NO!  Others, it is okay with limits.  Many require TV, FW, trailer, with TV, trailer, trailer not allowed.  With these rules, the state you are in sets the rules.  Home state laws mean nothing.

^^ Right, it's a state by state basis.  The other day, I saw the not-so-uncommon 5th wheel hitched to a truck, with a boat hitched to the back of the 5th wheel.  I believe that double-trailer towing (for non commercial vehicles) is illegal in my state, but in others it's quite common.

I'll note that the link above posted by grashley is a decent reference, but appears to be outdated for some of the categories.  Hundreds, if not thousands, of laws change every year in every state... many of them related to traffic and travel.  You'll always want to verify with a current source of some kind, if there's any question about the legality of your setup traveling across state lines.

Towing 2 trailers is legal in Texas. I've checked that. As long as the total length is under 65 feet, I'm good to go.

Right now I am looking at adding a hitch to the frame of my TT to tow a small box trailer under 2000 pounds. There are a few made by different manufacturers. I'm looking for the model which has the highest hitch as not to reduce my ground clearance under the bumper when the box trailer is not being pulled. Centering the hitch through the factory bumper would get the most ground clearance. I think the CURT 13702 Class III Receiver will fill the bill.

Comments welcomed.

grashley said:
Here is one list of state towing laws.

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

In some states, a tow vehicle and two trailers is a NO!  Others, it is okay with limits.  Many require TV, FW, trailer, with TV, trailer, trailer not allowed.  With these rules, the state you are in sets the rules.  Home state laws mean nothing.

Thanks for the input and great info. Under "towing two trailers", it says OK in Arizona but under notes it indicates  - Must be towed by truck/tractor. So I'm assuming it's like a gas truck with two tanks in tow. So I guess the argument could be made that a diesel pusher with a Freightliner chassis is a truck/tractor and therefore legal to tow two trailers.

mgcardoc said:
So I guess the argument could be made that a diesel pusher with a Freightliner chassis is a truck/tractor and therefore legal to tow two trailers.

Doubtful... if that is still the rule in AZ and you look more carefully in the state-specific vehicle code, I'm assuming the 2-trailer semi rig would have to be a commercial vehicle and fall under those guidelines.  RV's are not commercial vehicles, and usually fall under passenger car / light truck code, although some states do have separate classes of guidelines for RV's.

scottydl said:
Doubtful... if that is still the rule in AZ and you look more carefully in the state-specific vehicle code, I'm assuming the 2-trailer semi rig would have to be a commercial vehicle and fall under those guidelines.  RV's are not commercial vehicles, and usually fall under passenger car / light truck code, although some states do have separate classes of guidelines for RV's.

Probably true, but man would that solve my problem of not having all my stuff with me. Haha.

Have you looked at this sources?
http://trailers.com/state-laws/arizona.php
http://www.ehow.com/list_6593346_trailer-towing-regulations-arizona.html

It appears to say that the first trailer must be a 5W, which would probably leave out a motorhome as the tow vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom