First time snow birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cruzincat

If you were going to go south next winter for 2-3 months, taking along a doubting wife, what RV park would you go to with decent amenities, including a pool, such that the wife would stop doubting the reason we bought a class A to begin with?  Can't be too expensive, though.

We have one small dog.  We would like to be near Orlando so we can drop in at the parks, but we might need to board the dog occasionally to do that.

If I were to go South for the winter, and stay in only one RV park, I would buy or rent a park model for the season, and not buy a motorhome.

If we find a nice place, say in Florida, where we could store it until we come down and they can set it on a site when we do, that would be something we would possibly do.

If it were my first time, I would travel all across the southern states. You might find you like a certain area. We just did a 6000 mile tour across this year. Lots of cheap places to stay in Arizona and surrounding states. I have a friend who did the same trip two years ago and he discovered he like south padre island in south Texas. I think its 10 dollars a night to stay right on the beach. After two years he says he is going to key west next year. You will never know if you dont go. Thats the reason you buy a motorhome and not a park model trailer in one spot. Lots of the rv parks we stayed at had pools ect. Most were in the 35 dollars a night range. Enjoy your new motorhome, and hopefully the wife takes to the lifestyle.

We have been snowbirds in Florida (from Michigan) for the last three years.  Duration of our stays have expanded each year.  We have stayed at a combination of state, municipal and national parks as well as private facilities.  It sounds like you may want to try a variety of places, shopping for you personal favorites.  Here is what our experience has shown:

Myakka River RV Resort is a very nice, full service facility.  Decent sized lots.  Near Port Charlotte.  Pool, lots of planned activities if you are so inclined, nice staff, on the river, allows pets, moderately priced for what you get.  Just spent the month of January there.

Naples Motorcoach Resort and Marina (the marina part is almost a joke...)  Very nice. Multiple pools, social events.  (I found the staff almost snooty...)Expensive.

Fort Wilderness at Mickey Mouse's home also received good reviews.

State parks with full service sites (Elec, water and sewer) can be found at Johnathon Dickenson as well as a few other parks.  There is no organized social activity, no pool, etc.  But it is a lot cheaper.

Fort Desoto is a county park located in Tampa bay.  The sites have only water and electric, so you need to trek to he dump station if you stay longer than the capacity of your tanks.  Near all that Tampa, St. Petes Beach, and surrounding area has to offer.

I suggest that you start with a place like Myakka River to get the wife in a positive frame of mind about snowbirding...  Then you can introduce other venues as time passes.  Expand your horizons!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom