Fogged Windows and Suncoast Designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmalpas

While this a negative review on Suncoast Designs. It should not be of much concern to any owners that do not have a painted exterior. It should be of special interest to Lazy Daze owners due to their unique construction. You will not find negative reviews on Suncoast on Facebook or their own web site because they delete them.

February, 2017 - We went to Hudson, FL to have Suncoast Designs clean five fogged windows in our Lazy Daze MH.  Before we made an appointment we asked if they had worked on a Lazy Daze before. We were assured they had and it would be no problem. When we arrived they said they had done six Lazy Daze in the last few months.

First, the good thing - the windows are clean and clear. Except for one, which already has condensation in it.

When we checked in, the short conversation was very terse. No nice to meet you. We had to pull the information out of her. Where should we park? Where is the dump? What is the WiFi password? etc.

The first thing the next morning, two young men came to remove the valances and shades. Mission accomplished they left. Two others were outside cutting the caulk on the windows with razor blades. This went on for about 90 minutes. The windows barely budged. The original team returned to find out what was taking so long. They said they it usually took 5 to 10 minutes to remove a window. The original pair, led by Austin, went into a frenzied physical mode using pry bars to remove the windows. At this point, I did not know they were bending the window frames in the process. I would not know this until the windows were put back in and bulges in the frames showed where the pry bar was used.

After a window was removed, I could see why removal was difficult. The manufacturer put a bead of Locite sealant on the aluminum skin which bonded with the aluminum frame. Another rubber like sealant was used to prevent water from even getting to the Loctite. A belt and suspenders deal. One could argue it?s overkill. I am not so sure.

Before a pry bar was used, we should have appraised that they were experiencing difficulties they had never encountered before. And we should have been offered some choices. Such as:
1) Abandon the project.
2) Advise us the window frames would be bent if they continued.
3) That an additional charge would have to be made because of the extra time needed to remove the windows without bending them.

But they said nothing and we did not know the frames were being bent.

They sealed the window openings with plastic lined cardboard held on with painters tape. Remember the painters tape, this will come into play the next day.

The next day, they had us bring the rig inside to put the windows back in, as it was raining.
That?s when we heard a rubber mallet pounding the bent frames almost back into shape. They applied a bead caulk ONLY to the exterior. No caulk was put under the lip of the window between the frame and the aluminum skin. That means the caulk will have to be redone every 1/2 years due to deterioration from UV light.

This is when I find two places where the paint was lifted off where the painters tape that held the plastic lined cardboard on overnight. One of the men told us that they had told the manager/owner about this problem with the tape before. [Since the majority of rigs are fiberglass, this would not be problem]

They did not do a water test because it was raining. Overnight it continued to rain. One window, over a couch, was not sealed at the top. It leaked and wet the couch. They sealed it.

We were asked to sign a checklist that said the work had been done. I noted the GM had already signed it, even though he had not looked at our rig. In fact, we did not see him out of the building the time we were there.

Now the second experience - not at all pleasant!  We go inside to pay and asked to speak to the manager. The customer rep, Taylor, says the General Manager has already seen the pictures where the paint was removed and they will take no responsibility for it. We think we should get some credit to have it repainted.  She is determined that will not happen, but finally admits she is authorized to give us $100 off.  After some arguing and then demanding to speak to manager/owner. He comes out of his office, walks down the hall past us and places himself behind the counter and proceeds to tell us off. He never introduced himself, but we found out he is the deceased owner?s son.

The GM is arrogant. Nothing is their fault. It?s all Lazy Daze fault because they use cheap paint and are built on the cheap. Anyone that knows Lazy Daze, knows cheap is not a word that can describe any part of them. They have held a five-star rating for decades. The paint is a two part epoxy that lasts for over 20 years without fading. And get this, not only did the painters tape remove the cheap Lazy Daze paint, it also removed paint from the Hehr windows. Guess they use cheap paint also.

Finally, he agrees to give us $150 off. Less than it will cost to have the paint touched up.

Suncoast states that we signed a document during check-in advising us that paint removal might occur. That is prima facie evidence that they knew of the problem but silently concealed it. Talk about Buyer Beware. No one would knowingly sign something that said they were giving Suncoast the right to damage their RV.

Our Lazy Daze has zero factory defects. The paint is perfect, not a single bubble.

I was always taught that the customer is always right, whether they are or not!  Small businesses operate on the goodwill of customers.  This guy was a total jerk and we would strongly recommend not using them, especially if you own a Lazy Daze or any other rig that is painted.

BTW, I met two other owners in for service who were there as come-backs. Suncoast Designs claims the best warranty in the business, but what good is a warranty when you are thousands of miles away and the window is leaking.

We are still finding screws that were not put back in. Even though I loaned them a hex head tool to put them back in. We found one window screw hole that was stripped out.

In summary:
The window frames were bent and show the bumps.
Paint was lifted off the exterior and the window frames.
One window was not sealed and is showing internal condensation.
One window was not externally sealed and rain soaked the couch.
At least a dozen screws were not replaced.
Nothing is the fault of Suncoast.

That concerns me a bit as I am scheduled in there beginning of April.
Did they only run a bead of sealant along the top?
No sealing of the flange to body? No butyl tape?
Gary Brinck, was your installation sealed like that?

Mine was sealed with a bead of sealer under the flange, and a second bead outside after the flange was tightened down. I would have preferred butyl tape, but they do everything with a caulk gun. And fast!

I had problems with the lack of communication too, and sent them some "friendly advice" about that afterwards. I guess nothing has changed in that regard.

It is sounding as though the current installation crew lacks training & experience, and they are probably under a lot of pressure to hurry. The installers operated at a dead run when I was there, and it seems that is still the case. Maybe too fast, especially if inexperienced.

A good alternative choice is The RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, AR. They have a quite good rep. But then, Suncoast used to have one as well...
http://www.rvfogdr.com/

It looks like Suncoast has a Management problem.  This is the second complaint in the last week concerning two forum members terrible service...both had bent/gouged window frames and scratched coach paint from poor removal of the Windows.  Suncoast is off my list.

I can only speak to how our rig was sealed.

No butyl tape, no sealant under the flange. Only a bead around the edges.
Does look that good either appearance wise.

I wanted to use the folks in Searcy, AK, but they will not touch a Lazy Daze. Too time-consuming to remove windows.

This is a positive review of the Phoenix location of RV Glass Solutions. Their main location is in Coburg, OR.
http://lazydazearticles.blogspot.com/2017/03/fogged-windows-repair-at-rv-glass.html

I wanted to use the folks in Searcy, AK, but they will not touch a Lazy Daze. Too time-consuming to remove windows.

Ah! Sounds like there is something unique about your Lazy Daze windows that the Suncoast team wasn't trained & knowledgeable to handle. The [lack of] experience factor, I think. When we were there, the workers were all young and a bit brash.  The old saw "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" comes to mind.  :eek:

Did you not make issue with the Suncoast management over the damage to your coach?

Does anyone have someone they can recommend that might be on my route.
Leaving North of Toronto, Canada and heading to Florida.
I'm leaving next Friday and after recent reports about Suncoast, not sure I want to trust them.

Lazy Days in Tampa (actually Seffner, Fl) used to do windows. I went on a tour of the facilities in 2012. They had a small "clean room" where they disassembled and reassembled the dual-pane windows.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Ah! Sounds like there is something unique about your Lazy Daze windows that the Suncoast team wasn't trained & knowledgeable to handle.

Did you not make issue with the Suncoast management over the damage to your coach?

Lazy Daze is unique in their construction. Rock solid, Some say over built. They can survive a rollover. If two screws would do, they use five. That sort of thing. And because of that I questioned if they had serviced Lazy Daze before. I did not want to surprise them. They assured me they had done many and it would present no problem. Unsaid, was a pry bar would be used to break the seal on the windows.

Yes, we attempted to discuss it with the management. But, when he opened the "discussion" by blessing us out and saying the paint was cheap and the rig was pooly made. Well, where can you go from there? Had I been my 30yo self, we might have had a serious discussion about his lack of manners.

dmalpas said:
Yes, we attempted to discuss it with the management. But, when he opened the "discussion" by blessing us out and saying the paint was cheap and the rig was pooly made. Well, where can you go from there? Had I been my 30yo self, we might have had a serious discussion about his lack of manners.

As much as I dislike them (sorry to any who are) there are people called Lawyers.

Sometimes a letter from a Lawyer changes their attitude real quickly.  Just saying it might be worth it if the cost to repair their damage
is more then the hassle to get a lawyer involved.

RedandSilver said:
As much as I dislike them (sorry to any who are) there are people called Lawyers.

Sometimes a letter from a Lawyer changes their attitude real quickly.  Just saying it might be worth it if the cost to repair their damage
is more then the hassle to get a lawyer involved.

I would challenge whether that ever ends positively.  A threat letter from a lawyer is just an empty threat.  If you open a case, discussions between you and the owner end.  Lawyers talk to lawyers and unless you go in with compromise in mind, you will only throw good money at bad.

I think some of the troubleshooter editors, or even BBB would be a better next step.

Agree that lawyers should be a last resort, but if they did in fact bend window frames and damage the finish, it may be time for that.  If the management refuses to discuss the alleged damage anyway, maybe there isn't much to lose?  Florida does have a Small Claims Court for claims up to $5000 (excluding legal fees).

Using pry bars to help break away RV window frames is sometimes necessary because the sealer acts as an adhesive, but obviously they must be employed carefully. Hasty use will very likely result in damage.  I've removed a couple myself and know what is involved, but I had all day if needed.  Sounds like those guys were under a lot of time &  boss pressure.

Thanks to all who posted about their problems with Suncoast Designs.
I was scheduled to be there next Tuesday and after reading about the quality of their work lately, I honestly want nothing to do with them.
I had my DW call today to cancel and she told the gent who answered that we were cancelling and the reason why was that there had been a number of reviews lately in an RV Forum saying that their work was no longer quality and they didn't care about what damage they did.

He didn't try to defend the business and didn't really care what the reputation is.

Feel much better now that I have cancelled, now just have to find where I can get window fixed or new window.

Many thanks to the folks of this forum for letting everyone know what is happening.

You guys "ROCK."

All the best

He didn't try to defend the business and didn't really care what the reputation is.

That's really sad, but it also explains why the quality has gone downhill. If the management doesn't care, why should the employees? I think you made the right decision

On another RVing blog I came across this recommendation for an alternate fogged window repair shop. Sebring isn't all that far from Hudson, so reasonably convenient for anybody traveling in Florida. I have no personal knowledge of this shop, so caveat emptor.

Darren Thomas Glass, Sebring, FL 863-655-9500. They defog the windows, remove them, strip them apart, clean, reseal etc and reinstall.

Lazydays RV in Tampa also has a glass shop and does defogging as well as windshields. Probably more expensive, though.

Gary, thank you for the information about the place in Sebring.
It is called Darrin Thomas Glass Company and I have researched them to find only good reviews.
They guarantee fog less for life because they are not manufacturing thermopane units but laminate glass (just like your car windshield).
I have scheduled in with them for next week and will report what they are like.

Like Suncoast Designs, they offer power, water and will allow you to use the wifi.  Prices seem comparable to Hudson Fla.

There is another place in North Carolina that will manufacture new panes, have them heat treated and then put them together but their warranty is 100% fir first 2 years then pro-rated after that.

I don't want to have to do this again as it is a long way to go to get this fixed.

Thanks again for your information.

Bob

Bob T said:
I don't want to have to do this again as it is a long way to go to get this fixed.

Bob

Bob, please post your results here so we can all learn about other vendors.
I think it's inherent to the design that they will all allow moist air to enter the sealed space, sooner or later. Happens to double pane windows in homes and they are not flexed going down a highway.

We had our windows done at RV Fog Doctor.  I had wanted them to use butyl tape behind the frames when they reinstalled the windows but they just used the existing foam sealing tape and used a bead of silicone around the exterior of the frame.  They said they never used the butyl tape.  Otherwise, we were satisfied with their work.

I believe Fountain RV in Lakeland, FL also does the fogged window repair. 

Im scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and have the windows replaced on Wednesday.
Hopefully the vendor will allow me to take some photos while they are doing the work. If so, I will post these photos.
Either way, I will definately post photos of final job and my opinions of the type of job (I am a very picky person, as a tradesman, I know what a good job is). 
Will post as many photos and as much information as I can so other folks can make informed decision.

Thankfully others, have done the same previously. Thats how I found out about Suncoast and was able to cancel.

Updates coming.

Best to all

Bob

Back
Top Bottom