Fogged Windows and Suncoast Designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am the other poor, recent experience with Suncoast.

I, too, had the fruitless damage discussion with an extremely rude member of management who advised that they are not responsible for anything.

I am considering calling my credit card company to charge it back to them or at least to explore if I DO have any options. They really made a mess of my coach.
It rained here at home this week.  The window leaks; adding insult to injury.

It is very frustrating to know we drove a round trip of 1,600 miles for this kind of personal treatment and horrific service.

Dianne

Consider filing a [Florida] small claims court claim for damages. It may be difficult to prove that they damaged paint or bent a window frame unless you have "before' pictures, but a leaky window is prima facie evidence of poor workmanship for anybody in the window repair business.

Arrived in Sebring this afternoon about 2PM. 
Checked in at office and told them I was there for Wed appointment for window replacement.  They had a fellow come out to confirm measurements and open gate for me to pull in.
Hooked up to water and electric, there for maybe half hour and shop foreman comes out to tell me that they think they may be able to get me done and on my way today (Tuesday). 
Fantastic, I pull into shop and there is Newmar in shop also.
They pull the window and take it to the glass shop.  I asked if I could watch and take some photos for others that are interested in getting this work done.  No problem but they can't let me go to part of shop where they cut, grind and laminate the panes due to insurance regulations.  No problem, I can understand that.
They pull the frame and take it next room to take apart and get panes out that are being replaced.  They use these panes as templates for the new ones.

Short while later, shop foreman comes back to tell me that the frame used in my coach is difficult to get apart so they can either re-install the window for the night or put crash cover over the opening and continue to work on the window so will be less time in the morning.
We choose to have the crash cover installed.(Just seems like heavy duty Saran Wrap, sticks to what it is placed onto but NO PAINTERS TAPE USED.

We pull out and hook up fort the night.  Just relaxing and going to have a sandwich for dinner when shop foreman comes out and says they are staying a bit late to get last window installed in the Newmar but my window is done and they can install before they leave so I have some glass in the hole for the night.

I went into shop and had a look at how they are sealing, I was given options, new butyl tape or just a bead of polyurethane between the flange and body.  I chose the butyl tape so they were cleaning off the old tape and putting new on when I went in to see.

Window was installed before they went home for the night and they want to ensure tight tomorrow to allow the butyl to settle, then the plan is to clean up anything that may have squeezed out, seal all around the outside and final clean up.

Just a quick note, when we arrived and went into the office, they gave me the gate code so I could come and go and also their wifi password.

I am attaching some photos, the first few show the extent of the fogging of the window, I was originally only going to get the slider done but thought if the forward fogs, I can't see mirror so went for the 2 lower panes.

I think there will probably be more photos than I can attach to this post so will post another with photos just so folks can see the work.

I have no affiliation with this company and will post tomorrow when we get to final destination final photos, opinion of the work done and how final price was compared to quote.

So far so good, wish me luck!

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1816.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1817.jpg
    IMG_1817.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1821.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1824.jpg
    IMG_1824.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 42
Here are the balance of the photos from today.

Not sure if I described what they do in previous post. they do not take apart and clean, they do not make new thermopane glass.
They cut new glass and laminate to another of exact same size just like the windshield.  That is how it is guaranteed never to fog again.

Update tomorrow.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 21
Just a final update,
The fellows arrived this AM and did exactly what they said they were going to do, ensured the frame tight and cleaned up outside (removed squeeze out of butyl tape) then sealed completely around the frame.
The bill was exactly what I was quoted which I was pleased about.
Something worth mentioning, before I left, there was another gent from London Ontario pulled in to get work done.  He said that he had some windows done 4 years ago and was there to get more done.  He also said that while he was wintering in Arizona this year, one of the windows that they had changed 4 years ago, just cracked.  He called the company up and they said that shouldn't have happened and  to bring it to them and they would change at no charge!  So while there, he decided to get more windows done.
To me, that speaks a lot of the credibility of the company.
All the staff there was fantastic and were a pleasure to deal with.
I am attaching the last 4 photos so folks can see what the final work turned out like.
If anyone wants a bit more information, please feel free to email me direct.
To the OP, thank you very much for posting your experience with Suncoast Designs, I think you saved me and others from major headaches.
To Gary RVer Emeritus, thank you for remembering about this company, if we ever meet face to fact, it would be my honour to buy you a drink.

Thanks again to all the folks on this forum and the owners, you guys are FANTASTIC.

All the best

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for posting this including the pictures. We have to get some windows in our Vectra replaced too. Do you happen to know if they also do tinted glass?

Again thanks for you info, made a note and will ask a quote soon.

When I called last week, I did ask about tinting and I'm reasonably certain they said they would tint to same level as original.
That being said, I would suggest you confirm with the shop when you get quote.
Once again, if I can provide any information to anyone, please dont hesitate to post or email me directly..
Bob

Sounds like they are a great company.  Thanks for the write up.

Just curious about the insulating qualities of the new laminated windows compared to thermopane.  My thermopane windows seem to insulate well and rarely sweat in cold weather, unlike the windshield.  Do you lose some of the insulating ability by changing to laminated windows?

That is the trade off I think.
The replaced panes will get more condensation at night when privacy screens up limiting air flow.
Just like the windshield. Personally, that shouldnt cause too much problem as we only use in cold weather when heading south.
Personally, I am just glad they are done.

Thanks for the excellent report, Bob.

I don't think laminated glass can be considered the equivalent of dual (thermal) pane - laminating is done for a different purpose altogether. However, I'm not convinced that dual pane has great value in an RV anyway, so eliminating the fogging problem is probably a reasonable trade-off.

Quite tardy on posting this, but we used RV Glass Solutions Phoenix location to defogged a window. Very pleased with their work. They spent 4 hours on one window. Suncoast spent the same amount of time on five windows.

Their main location is in Coburg, OR.

I'll grant that Suncoast guys work extremely fast, but there is no reason why an experienced crew couldn't remove and replace an RV side window in 30 minutes. It's a pretty simple task once you know the drill.  Of course, that doesn't include the time to disassemble the window itself and clean & reseal the panes, but they have a machine and a shop set up specifically to do that.

Still, I wish the Suncoast crew would slow down a bit and exercise a little more care. It's evident that they screw up now and again and that could be easily be avoided. The swaggering teens who did my 5 windows were individually good guys, but prone to show-off and horsing around as they rushed through the job. They needed someone a bit more professional (and dare I say, older?) to to supervise. I think also they were taking their customer service cues from the management - speed was obviously the top priority..

Will everyone please start reporting SunCoast on Rv Service Reviews. State the facts, management reply and then forward links to the company and BBB. Everyone with a bad taste in there mouth should and MUST do this. As it will get worst before it gets better.

Back
Top Bottom