Snowbirding in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muskoka guy

I know this is going to get a lot of different answers but just wondering where people snowbird to and why. We just returned from a 6000 mile tour taking in the entire west coast and across most of the bottom states until we ran out of time and returned back to Canada. Im thinking of retiring in the next few years and hitting the road in winter. I have been to Florida many times but not in a rv. My friend likes south padre island in Texas. I see lots of people go to Arizona. Do most of you spend time in one spot and then move to another, or more or less find a spot you like and stay there. Just wondering. thx

Ok, some of us get around late!

We started short snowbird trips in 2015/2016. By short I mean 5-6 weeks. Our trailer is fine for that long, but not well suited for multiple month trips without more compromises than I am willing to make. We prefer traveling around with a week or two at different places. That's what I would recommend to anyone not sure of where to go. So much depends on your own interests and preferences. Do you require being near water or do you want red rock desert splendor? Near a big city for cultural activities or boondocking with no one closer than a mile away? Do you want planned activities and big craft/woodworking rooms?

One of these days we may have seen most of what we want to see in the winter and find a semi-permanent spot. We will then get a bigger trailer or a motor home (more likely). But we aren't at that time yet, and we keep our smaller trailer because of its ease of parking in the remote places we go in the spring/summer/fall.

Oh, and we prefer the desert so Arizona and New Mexico are some of our favorite spots.

I don't know that we qualify as "Snowbirds" since we basically live in our motorhome year round, but during the northern winters we do head south for the warmer weather, mostly staying in various locations in Florida, with shorter stays in Georgia and South Carolina. We've done the Texas/Arizona run, but prefer the southeastern winter weather overall. Our longest single stay is in central Florida for 4-5 weeks at our RV club owned park. Other than that we move around among various county, state, and national parks for periods of 4-5 days to 2 weeks, with just an occasional overnight at a private park when we need a filler between reservtions.

judway said:
I am a sunbird or maybe a sandbird. We own a house in Florida and travel north during the summer.
This is something I learned this winter when we were in Arizona is that summer down there is crazy hot. Summer in Ontario is beautiful, I just have learned to hate winter anymore. I guess many of the "sandbirds" come to Canada in the summer or the northern states. I must say I have travelled lots of Canada and it is beautiful. I would recommend coming in the summer and hopefully we will see you down south in the winter. I live in Ontario which is very nice. It is the land of lakes and camping. We also have no natural disasters to speak of or any dangerous animals. Also,if anyone has never been to the east coast and seen the wonders of the Bay of Fundy, I would recommend that trip. To see 30 ft or higher tides coming and going is awesome. The power of the earth at work is a marvel.

We have spent the last two winters in Florida and like it quite well. Just find RV parks south of I4 (Orlando to Tampa Hwy) if you want to stay warm. Cost wise the closer to the center of the state will be cheaper, getting close to the beach on either coast gets pretty costly and near the big cities is a mad house to drive in. We are going to the S. Texas area next winter just for a different view. 8)

We are snow birds and stay in the Florida Keys.
For many years, we stayed at the four state parks every year changing every two weeks, (the regulations), and then finally two years ago we found a deal we could not refuse on a RV lot, and bought it. Know we stay six months there.
We are hard core canoers and kayakers, and as far as we are concerned the Keys and the Everglades will keep us happy for the rest of our lives.

Jack L

muskoka guy said:
Also,if anyone has never been to the east coast and seen the wonders of the Bay of Fundy, I would recommend that trip. To see 30 ft or higher tides coming and going is awesome. The power of the earth at work is a marvel.

I was there 2 years ago and walked on the ocean floor at low tide.  All the fishing boats were high and dry.

My friend who likes Texas so much is going to the Florida keys next winter. I might have to join him for a few weeks to check out the keys. I have not been that far south in Florida. As far as the Bay of Fundy, i have been there three times from Ontario in the last six years in summer. I want to go again in the next two years. Two years ago we took the ferry across to Newfoundland for three weeks. We saw whales as well as icebergs in the northern part. They say its like visiting Scotland or Ireland and the people all talk with Keltic accents.  Very rugged island but very neat place to visit. Gros Morne National park has one of the only places on earth where the earths mantel has been pushed out of the ocean and can be seen.

We are Minnesota snowbirds,  currently on our return leg back home.
You asked where to go. My favorite spot so far is the outskirts of New Orleans. Either Mandeville or Slidell.
30 min trip to the city across the ponchitrain bridge. You can have the calm of the suburb but still experience the music and commotion of the city if you want.
The people are wonderful. The shrimp, crawfish, tuna, charbroiled oysters, etc. are mouthwatering.
A beautiful area with lots to see and do. We've been AZ, TX, and have yet to experience FL. But we always seem to gravitate to the big easy.

We are getting close to the end of our first long stay in Florida...Jan 5 - April 7.  We have a RV lot on a river that empties into the gulf; same latitude as Gainesville.  Only had 3-4 days when it got into the 30s at night.  Most days it reached the high 60s or low 70s.  For us, it has been ideal weather, although the locals say it has been a very warm winter.  We considered something further south but my wife and I do not like real hot weather.

The southern states have varied attractions and something for everyone.  With weather that will certainly beat Canadian winters.  First, decide what activities you enjoy, then start your search.

We only got as far south as Dallas this year as we spent quite a bit of time coming down the west coast. Next time we will come straight down from Ontario and get to the gulf of Mexico at least before we start touring around.

We've been in Arcadia Florida since early November and love it! Friendly, peaceful, quiet farm country only 40 minute drive to beach or big shopping. We'll leave to head north to CT mid May and be back October 1st for 8 months next season, we have a 36FT Open Range 5th wheel and stay at Cross Creek RV Resort. This property has 550 sites and is a mix of permanent and transient residents.

Her you pay for the year and sign a 3 year contract our price averaged $315.00 per month and we leave our RV here at no additional cost. Year runs from Sept to Sept and is not binding if choose to not come back however you will not get a refund if you leave early. 110 miles SW of Orlando

We've been snowbirds for 6 years now, we go to Arizona, south of Tuscon.  Originally went to visit friends from Alaska who have a home in Green Valley, and have kept going back for at least a couple months every year.  We stayed in one park this year, but have also moved around in Arizona and New Mexico, and volunteered in National Parks.
We did go to Florida one year, but we are west coasters; we volunteer in State and National Parks in Oregon during the summers, so Florida is too far to go. 
We avoid the Phoenix area; it gets hot too soon and the traffic is horrendous.  Quartzsite is not our idea of an interesting place, and Casa Grande is too windy/dusty.
This year we stayed in DeAnza RV Resort from December thru most of March.

We stayed at Black Canyon  north of Phoenix this winter for a few days while we went to Sedona and the grand canyon. Certainly did enjoy the scenery in Arizona. I learned from all the locals that they head north for the summer. Thanks for the input wasroop

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom