planning a 5th wheel puchase!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clinter35

I'm brand new to rv'ing and trying to make a decision.  I'm wanting to purchase a 1 to 2yr old 5th wheel between 26-30ft.  I've always heard there good manufactures and bad; well, there's my problem.  I anyone would be kind enough to tell me what to stay away from and what will make a good dependable rv.  Thanks clinter

You might want to buy into the RVCG.com listings.  Some of the folks do not like them but I found it helpful with weights, handling and purpose.  I'd also find an RV event near you and talk to some of the seasoned folks who will give you good info.  This forum if you review some of the postings will be very educational identifying problem rigs and elements within the rigs that have problems.  I think buying used is wise as the depreciation curve is significant in those first two years.  Check all the systems on a used rig.  My first 5r was 6 years old and I had a blow out on one of the original tires.  It did a lot of damage and at that time I had no idea about tire life.  It also seems like a 2-3 year old rig has had the problems fixed and therefore has less than a new one if it has been cared for.  Identify what you are going to do with the rig.  A vacationing rig is a lot different than a full time rig so purchase to suit your needs.  We just finished our research for a fulltime rig and a lot of this is pretty fresh with us.  Good luck with your research and welcome to the RV World.  Lots of people here with great experience to which I am indebted.
Phil 

Clinter

I'm in the same boat as you.  Although I have no personal experience, I have been alot of on-line research over the past 8 months on various forums.  Although no trailer is guaranteed "perfect", the consensus seems to be that the reliable, quality brands are Teton, Excel, NuWa, Sunnybrook and New Horizons.  I may have missed one or so brands, and I'm sure people have bought other brands that they are very happy with.  But that's just what I heard.  I'm probably going with a NuWa Hitchiker II Model 32.5FKSBG, just because I really like the open living area layout, enclosed bath and stackable washer/dryer and king bed potential -- all in 33'11" length.

Gary

clinter35 said:
07 F-250 4x4, 6.0 diesel

You did not say but I will assume you have a crew cab.   On that basis your truck has a tow rating of around 15,500 lbs (15,400 lbs with the manual tranny).   We like to allow a safety factor of 10% on those ratings to make that number 13950 lbs.     Limit your search for trailers to those with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 13,950 lbs or less.   That should give you good range of choices in the length range you spoke of.    On a used trailer, the easiest way to determine a trailer's GVWR is to look on the DOT plate on the driver's side exterior at the forward edge of the trailer.  

Insofar as evaluating a used trailer, we have had a discusssion of travel trailers in the topic you can find by clicking HERE.  Most all of what was said applies to 5ers.

As far as brands are concerned, you sound like you will be a vacation user, not a full timer.  For vacation units, I have a standard mantra:  Trailers are simple boxes on a ladder frame set on 2-3 dead axles.  The boxes are filled with a number of appliances all made by the same manufacturers;  Coleman, Dometic, Suburban, etc..  The cabinetry is simple as is most of the wiring.  In short, brand quality is not all that important -- condition is everything.  NADA has price data on model, year, and options.  Check out a unit that interests you on their site.

You might want to buy into the RVCG.com listings.

IMHO it is a waste of money.  They do no actual testing or on site evaluation that I am aware of.  I feel you can get more valid information right here or looking at groups that are run by the owners of the rigs you are considering such as Teton group, Newmar, and American Coach etc.  There you will learn from experiences of owners.  Best to talk to those that own or have owned rigs you are considering.  Again just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom