Zion to Sedona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. I am planning a summer trip starting in Los Angeles, stopping in Vegas, Zion, sedona and then needles ca. I am driving a 37' class A and I have never driven past Las Vegas. I have planned the route out on good sams club trip planner and the only hazard I see is the tunnel at Zion. Does anyone have any advise on the easiest "safest way" to get from Zion to Sedona.
Thank you for any help and I wish everyone happy and safe travels
Regards
Mark

If you really need to avoid the Zion tunnel (depends on the height and length of your RV) you can backtrack a bit to Hurricane UT and take highway 59 to Fredonia.  It's a dip south but many of us take that road when we want to avoid the tunnel and are going to Bryce.  You do want to pay attention to the roads in that area because you don't want to get off onto tribal lands which are restricted and the roads aren't suitable for large RVs.

We drive a 40' (maximum length) Class A diesel pusher through the tunnel.  We require 12' overhead clearance.  When RVs go through the tunnel they have to drive down the middle of the road because the ceiling is rounded and the edges are close for taller vehicles.  Because of that they close off traffic in the opposite direction.  They charge a small fee because it requires rangers at both ends of the tunnel to make sure traffic clears before allowing the other direction to flow.  If you have a car you'll have to disconnect it and have someone else drive it behind you.  Disconnect before you start up to the tunnel because it's narrow with sharp curves, another reason for length limitations.  If you can drive it first in a car, you can see what it's like first hand before making your route decision.

ArdraF

Thank you for the info. I am sure I will be fine as I have driven through some tight places. I just like to know all of my options before heading out.
Best regards
Mark

As long as you're not too high you should be just fine with a 37-footer.

ArdraF

I've been through that tunnel in my toad.  No way I'd personally do it in the coach(I'm pretty close to 13'), but if I did, I'd sure climb up on the roof with a tape measure and spend 5 minutes checking the height of the coach for myself.  No way I'd trust a sales brochure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom