Route question: Phoenix to I-40 via Hwy 60 (Globe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSUTRIKERS

Looking for info on taking hwy 60 fro Apache junction up thru Superior / Globe / Showlow.  How is this Road for motorhome, towing? I do see one tunnel at 13' 6.  Does not appear as mountainous and as many grades as Beeline hwy (87) thru Payson / Heber. 
Any help appreciated.

Hwy 60 around Globe can get pretty twisty but I have seen fairly large motorhomes on it.  Personally I would take the Hwy 87 through Payson / Heber.  It looks worse on the map than it is, it is twisty but mostly wide sweepers and many RV's are seen on it and I have easily towed many times a 28ft TT.  It is also a beautiful drive. 

I agree  with Gizmo.  I had to driven to from Phoenix to the  Show Low area weekly for several years.  I would not take the route your are considering.  I do not like to drive it in a car!  The route through Globe goes down into the Salt River Canyon.  The speed limit is 25 near the bottom.  I have not taken my motor home on that road and I would not do so.  I once had to follow an 18 wheeler to the bottom of the canyon.  He was dong 15 or less and using all the road he could.  It is a long, steep twisty road down to the bottom of the canyon and a long twisty steep road up from the canyon.  Highway 87 to Payson and then 260 to Show Low is the best way to go.  There are a couple of tough grades.  The worst grade this way is when you have to climb up to the rim just West of Forest Lakes.  The road is four lane.  Just take it easy and you will be fine.  I see all kinds of RVs on this road all the time.  From AJ you are looking at 15 to 30 minutes longer going through Payson.

Good luck on your trip.

Hubby Dan has lived in Arizona for....well a long time.  US 60 between Globe and Show Low is a lot better (wider) than it was in the 60's....but it is still just as steep and has several hairpins with sharp drops off the side that will bother the faint of heart (like me).  Dan loves that route in his MG or the corvette...but would never take the MH through that canyon let alone pulling the towed.  He has seen a lot of smoking brakes over the years going down hill, and steaming engines going up.  That's not saying you won't make it, but you definitely need to be prepared, and he just won't do it in our MH.  You will see a few 18 wheelers, but they are few, and most go the other way if they can.

There is also highway construction right now between Apache Junction and Superior on US60 that can cause significant delays, along with a good climb East of Superior which includes that Tunnel you mentioned.

We often take the Pursuit from Mesa thru Payson to the Heber area.  The pull is hard up the Mogollon rim grade (several 5-6% grades between Mesa and Kohls Ranch, and then a final 7%/5mile grade up the rim), but not anywhere as steep or twisty as Salt River Canyon and rather pleasant.  I agree with Gizmo that the scenery is actually better, especially just West of Forest Lakes.  Unless you feel very adventurous and want to test yourself and your brakes, 87/260 is the way to go.

Jennifer & Dan

I am not familiar with the other routes, but the main hwy 17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff is a good four lane highway that is fairly gradual all the way. Might be a bit longer for sure, but nice safe route.

I'm very late to this post, but wanted to add some more good local info. From Mesa, or the east valley, to get to I-40 heading East, a pretty drive is 87 to Payson as suggested, then east on 260 to Heber.  Just past the Red Onion Restaurant (a good spot for a tasty burger, btw), take 277 towards Holbrook. You will have to take a left turn onto 377 a few miles in, and that'll take you to just south of Holbrook where 377 ties into 77. A left onto 77 and in a couple miles you're in Holbrook. I've driven this a number of times in our class C - it is a 2 lane hwy, and has some truck traffic, but I've found it to be the quickest way for me to get from the east valley to hit I-40 and go east. I will say, if you are leaving from Phoenix itself, or the west side of Phoenix, just take I-17 to Flagstaff and take I-40 east - that'll be easier and quicker. My suggested route is for folks in the east valley (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, AJ etc).
I agree that the drive thru Globe and Salt River Canyon on 60 is pretty, but not for most folks with RV's. Doable, but not my preferred route.
enjoy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom