Thinking of doing it alone, eventually full time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amandus

So I'm new here, and I've been considering traveling as my lifestyle for about 4 years now. In the last few months I decided if I didn't ever try it I know I would always regret not, and I hate feeling stuck in one place and like change. There's been this deep desire to do this since I was about 20 years old (I'm about 25 now) and I don't think it's ever going to go away unless I try it. Given that how I make money is online and with planning to take my musical aspirations seriously, and being a person of modest living who's lived in a 5 by 15 foot room for months at a time before and not minded, it just makes sense to me especially if I start to travel to cities to do shows or DJ. But even without that, it's something that appeals to me.

I live alone and prefer that, although I have 2 cats. I would probably start out part-time, using my current home as a 'home base' to receive mail and be my legal residence but I wouldn't really spend much time at when I don't have too, preferring to go to wander to cool places between nearby cities up to about a 300 mile radius away. Anyways I'm expecting I might be able to have around 5,000-10,000+ USD that I'd be able to put into a motorhome/trailer all at once in about a year (limiting me to older/smaller models). I've done some research on prices and different kinds of motorhomes and trailers. But everything seems to have too many things I won't ever need (extra beds/sitting/living areas) or not something I do need (usually a space large enough for the studio). Either way I have to be pretty economical about my initial investment into it. Though I did see what seemed to be some good deals within this price range so I know I could manage a good deal particularly with trailers if I can also find a good deal for an appropriate pickup  (found some nice used trailers within my needs for 3-5k weighing about 5000 pounds; it's the older motorhomes under 10k I'm worried about).

I did some math to figure out what all I need space wise. For my studio based on what I do now and realistically expect to do in the future I could easily fit my studio in the space of a queen-sized bedroom area by converting it. I'm an electronic musician and synths don't take up much space anyways and I already prefer the flexibility of virtual instruments (I'm very computer based for writing+performance). I ended up only using about 5x5 feet with extra space below the tables/desks on shelves when I've lived in the 5x15 room so a bedroom with a queen-sized bed like many I see on 25-30 foot motorhomes/trailers is the upper end of what I'd probably use. Anything that would need more space would be a much more expensive and lavish setup. And if I could afford that, I could probably afford a larger RV/trailer by then too.

That I would consider the largest single area I'd need. I'd only need a twin bed for sleeping and not any "living room" area. I only need a small sink and I don't like microwaves but love stove tops and ovens. A table for 2 people with seating is probably all I would need if I brought a guest in but I don't think that would be often, I'm a pretty private person and I settled on avoiding romantic/sexual relationships a good time ago.  A shower and a toilet is a pretty important but I don't feel it's strictly necessary but I know that I would probably regret that decision later if I go without one. The shower more so.

For storage of personal belongings I'd only need about 2x2x5 to 5x5x5 feet of storage for any non-studio possessions including most of my clothes but hey the more storage the better. The lower end there would exclude my small book collection which I'd be okay with parting with most of the books. If I have a bicycle for getting around when parked I could probably get a rack to mount it on the outside somewhere (I like to bike). The only other thing I can think would be the logistics of my cats if I were to take them along (I'd likely at least take 1). They are older and not very active and that's a whole topic onto itself taking into their personality and cat-psychology I'd need to address.

So that's my thoughts logistics wise as for actually living in the space. Do I have the right mindset? Is this a realistic approach? I mean I spend most of my time at the computer or in bed when I'm inside, so so long as those two spaces are comfortable I think I'll be okay, and I know a twin-sized bed is enough for me + 2 cats from experience.  And I'd spend most of my time outside exploring or going places when not working at the computer or sleeping. I know this doesn't even touch all the other aspects of traveling, ect but I'm just thinking about the day to day stuff that you do anyways. I have plenty of time to plan, so I don't want to rush into making any decision.

Since I forgot, as far as trailers I was looking at stuff like this:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2001-Sunline-T2453-120809885

Under 5k, has an extra fold out bed already and the back bedroom could be converted into a studio with enough space. Floor plan in picture 18. Now this one sold but something like this would be easily enough for me and like I said, by the time I'd need more studio space I'd likely be able to afford a larger trailer anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

That's quite a first posting.

If your looking for advice we will need more info.  You didn't say where you live.  Can make a big difference if a warm or cold climate.
You didn't say if you have a vehicle now.  A vehicle able to tow is MOST often misunderstood as to what you need to tow a Travel Trailer (TT)
Most often (not always) people end up buying something too small and then upgrade over and over - that costs a lot more then starting out
with something a little bigger then you thought you needed.  $5k-$10K is very little money to work with.  Unless you want a project that will take a lot more money to complete and a lot of time to finish.  Most turn key units will cost more.  Remember Usually you get what you pay for.
The bigger the unit you go with will have much more capabilities that you might not think about right away. 
Many small units will have no stove but a microwave/convection oven is pretty common.

With all that said you might be able to get away with a Class B van - Just remember what I said MOST people end up upgrading if they like the RV life style.
Of course there are books and books written on the difference between the RV's available.  AND there are pros and cons to each for sure.
There are plenty of opinions out there - but it will come down to what works for you.  Renting is a good way to get your feet wet without spending all your money. 
When you do decide on a unit - even if you could - we almost always recommend buying used - especially for a first unit.
Some of the decision on what unit will work for you also depends on how long at one time you plan to live in it.  A weekend, a week, a month, 3 months or more all make a difference on what unit will be better for you.  Campgrounds all the time vs. Boondocking (no power or water) makes a difference too.

Good that your researching this well in advance of needing one. 

Thank you for your reply and sorry if it was too long or had any unnecessary information.

Well, it's a ways away and that is the lower end of what I would expect to put to be able to put in upfront. I could probably manage that as a down payment to get lower monthly payments if I bought but there would be an upper limit to how much I could afford per month. Ya, not a lot to work with but unless something is wrong like with the kind of trailer I linked in the second post I think I could do it. I don't have anything able to tow right now.

You are right about the renting aspect, and I plan to do that. But I'm just thinking ahead because I'll want to only rent something I could reasonably afford so I'd still be looking within that range. Also, I live along the West Virginia/Ohio border. I would probably travel to the Carolina's in winter and stay closer to home in spring/fall.

Also I kind of don't believe the old saying that people get what they pay for is always true even though it's generally true. Most things are price gouged and even when it's not if you know where to look and are persistent enough you can get something way under it's market value or something with a lower market value that performs the same task just as well. But I'm aware that belief might be too much based on my experience with music equipment and electronics.

So say I wanted something about the quality of the trailer in the second post. How much would one of those 2001 Sunline T2453's, used but in decent condition cost? And if that one is way under what it should be worth, is there any reason why it was? I've seen similar used trailers being sold at around that price. Earlier I said that you don't always get what you pay for and me asking about this is to understand why this is an apparent outlier. I don't know what to look for to know what's wrong with that one, if anything.

It seems the truck would be the more expensive part if I were to go that kind of cheap route. Speaking of that, what kind of truck would be needed to safely haul that (5,500 gross weight)? I've read some stuff on it but it's kind of confusing with some conflicting information so I can see how it wouldn't be well understood.

Edit: I found many used sunline trailer models 5000-15000 dollars. Is this because it's a trailer or is it just a lower end brand? Both? Would it be more economically viable to go pickup + lighter trailer like one of those models? If I am understanding what I've read on hauling correctly, would a lighter pickup (say an older F150) be able to safely haul something around 5,000-6,000 pounds? Or is this definite heavy duty territory? Mind you the most I've ever done with pickups and hauling is wagons for light ranch work.

It's certainly true that there are deals out there.  Sometimes being in the right place at the right time is all it takes when your ready to buy.

There is a whole section on towing on this forum.  But in a nut shell I'll say that I have never heard anyone say - I bought too big of a truck.
But there are a lot of people that wished they had bought a bigger truck.  Always better to have too much truck for both safety and legal reasons.

Remember I said there are pros and cons to all RV's?  Well Trailers are usually less expensive then Motorhomes - but you need a vehicle to pull them.  Motorhomes many times are built to a higher quality standard vs. trailers but there are exceptions to everything....
As far as make of trailer it comes down (usually) to how well it was taken care of more than the make of the trailer. 

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for coming here for research before buying the wrong setup!!

What you want is very possible, but the budget makes it a bit more challenging.  A MH for under $10K is a money pit!  It may be affordable up front, then cost another $5K A YEAR to keep it mobile and livable.  You would still need a way to get to gigs without packing up and moving.

An older PU like an F150, PROPERLY EQUIPPED with tow package and brake controller should handle the size TT (bumper pull Travel Trailer) you are considering.  Not all F150's will work!  With some serious searching, you can find one that will work for you.  It can also be used for local transportation past biking distance.

With TT, you usually do get what you pay for, but again, careful research and a little luck and good bargaining can sweeten the deal.  The most important factor is FLOOR PLAN.  If the floor plan will not allow what you want to do, price does not matter.  Keep looking.  Next is condition.  Especially with older TT, a very thorough inspection is required.  The Library tab near the top of the page has several articles and lists for pre delivery inspections (PDI).  Current or prior water damage is a deal killer.

A 20 year old entry level camper will be much less expensive than a 20 YO top tier camper.  The entry level one is likely nearly worn out unless it has received immaculate care.  So, yes, you do get what you pay for.

Remember also you will need some $$$ to remodel to your needs.  It will likely need some fresh floor covering, reupholstered furniture, and other possible repairs, so plan this into your budget.

Where do you plan to park the rig?  Most camp grounds (CG) will cost $20 - $50 per night.  Monthly discounts may be available.

I do not want to be a wet rag over your plans.  I want to make sure you go in with eyes wide open and eliminate as many expensive surprises as I can.

Enjoy the search!!

EDIT:  Per Murphy, the first 80% of any project will require 80% of the time and 80% of the money.  The last 20% of the project will require the OTHER 80% of your time and 80% of your money.

grashley said:
Per Murphy, the first 80% of any project will require 80% of the time and 80% of the money.  The last 20% of the project will require the OTHER 80% of your time and 80% of your money.
grashley,
❤️ Love that quote!
Bob

Amandus check out Pippi Peterson  post on U tube she is your age? she has a lot of good ideas. But she is in a motorhome with a small car. She also works out of her RV. She has many post to look at.

YouTube.  RV Living (as the search subject).

CheapRVliving.com and LOTS of other videos covering all types of information (Class A/B/C vs TT).  How to live less expensively.  How to earn money. 

I'm going full time in two years and I'm trying to learn from other people's mistakes (it is much less expensive that way).  I've determined a 30 ft Class C would work best for me (I want a queen sized bed I don't have to crawl into) but that could change.

I think a major consideration is where you will be parking it. If you have traveled south and are out in the middle of nowhere, do you need a vehicle to get into town. If so, a truck and trailer combo might work best. If you are parking in town and your bike will get you where you want to go, maybe a b or c class will do. Even if you bought a trailer and had it towed somewhere until you had enough to buy the truck would also be an option. From my own experience, the insurance on my mh is very cheap. Much less than on my regular vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom