RV storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drdeacon

My wife and I are thinking about buying a 25-30 foot class C rv this summer. We are trying to find a place to keep it over the summer . Our driveway and in front of our house are not practical.  Any suggestion as to where to stor or keep during the summer months ? Also, is it necessary when not in use to keep the RV plugged in? I see a lot of rv s in our neighborhood in driveways usually plugged in . Any help would be appreciated !

Hi Drdeacon,

One place you might consider are fairgrounds if you have some in your city. A search under RV Storage might also yield a result for your area. If you have relatives or friends that have a spot you could store that might work. Sometimes campgrounds in your area provide RV Storage for a fee.

If it sets long enough in the summer time decals might fade in the sun so keep that in mind (unless full body paint). Keeping it plugged in, keeps the house batteries charged up on most RV's. I'd check the water levels so the cells aren't dry.

camperAL said:
One place you might consider are fairgrounds if you have some in your city.

There are a couple of fairgrounds in my area. They store boats and RV's during the snowy winters in New England.  But the first sign of spring/summer, they all have to be removed so they can do maintenance on the buildings for the fair season.

Drdeacon said:
My wife and I are thinking about buying a 25-30 foot class C rv this summer. We are trying to find a place to keep it over the summer . Our driveway and in front of our house are not practical.  Any suggestion as to where to stor or keep during the summer months ? Also, is it necessary when not in use to keep the RV plugged in? I see a lot of rv s in our neighborhood in driveways usually plugged in . Any help would be appreciated !

Might be helpful if you said where you are.

Some campgrounds will store your unit for you outside the park when you are not using them. Marinas and self storage places are other options as well as private properties.

You should store it on gravel or paved pads and not in a field. This will help keep the rodents away and from trying to break in.

massspike said:
You should store it on gravel or paved pads and not in a field. This will help keep the rodents away and from trying to break in.

I don't think it makes any difference. Mine is parked on asphalt and the critters still try to get in.

I think more important is not to park it on grass for extended periods of time. Grass grows up through things and holds moisture. Its a death sentence for lots of stuff.

Thanks for the good info... by the way I live in northwest Pennsylvania ... over 100 inches of snow per winter !

This is not a suggestion, but it IS what we did. We put our 5th wheel in a storage unit for the winter. It was 15x40, concrete floor, and the overhead door was 14 feet high. Our driveway is hilly, curvy, and narrow through the woods so no hope there of taking to the house. It was about $150 a month, which is pricy in my mind....but it's what we did. It didn't have electric, so we went up and ran the generator once a month. Since then, we had a pole barn built on top of the hill before going down our drive, 30x50 (wasn't specifically for the toy hauler) but made sure it was tall enough to store it if we wanted to. We had bids from contractors that ranged all the way to $60,000. We had it built for $26,000 with 6" concrete floor, 16 foot side walls, 8 foot and 14 foot overhead doors, and insulated. I had basic electric run to the building with a 200 amp panel for $700.  I'm doing the inside wiring myself. The builder did a real nice job. We had to pay more for the gravel approach, but the 26,000 price was for the building itself. I only share this info because I'm sure many folks have the same "where do I store this thing" issues. I know I sure was curious about prices and it's kind of a personal thing to share and hesitated to ask folks such questions. Anyway, I found out there's a lot more than the initial purchase price that can go into this whole camping thing. ? But so far, I sure do enjoy it and the good people I meet along the way.

I pay 600 dollars Cdn to store mine inside a large industrial building from Oct until early May. Hopefully in the not to far off future I will not be needing this as I will be heading south with it instead of storing it.

Boonieman said:
We had it built for $26,000 with 6" concrete floor, 16 foot side walls, 8 foot and 14 foot overhead doors, and insulated. I had basic electric run to the building with a 200 amp panel for $700.  I'm doing the inside wiring myself. The builder did a real nice job. We had to pay more for the gravel approach, but the 26,000 price was for the building itself.

You're killin' me. Our 10 foot garage extension is supposed to be finished next Wednesday, and we're at just a little over $55,000.00 - FOR A 10 FOOT GARAGE EXTENSION! And that includes reusing the original garage door. 13.5 yards of concrete, custom welding, custom supports - it goes on and on. All in the name of California earthquake standards. Low bid for the job was $45,000.00 and that company has a history of cost overruns, shoddy work and dissatisfied customers. Yep... RV storage prices vary significantly.

Kev

Attachments

• RV Garage.jpg
    RV Garage.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom