Upgrading Window 8.1 to Windows 10 - Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I know - I am late to the show as usual.  Missed the free Win 10 upgrade and only now deciding to maybe try it. Biggest problem is lack of cyber smarts.  The old noggin isn't computer savvy and the grandkids live too far away.

I need to know what I need to upgrade my 8.1 to 10 the easiest way.  I see Windows 10 OEM Programs for sale and I see  Windows 10 USB Flash Drives for sale.  I do want only the home edition.  The OEMs seem to be only for new computers that don't already have a ton of useless info in them.  Can I assume that the USB Flash Drive model is like a thumb drive that can be used for upgrading 8.1 without losing too much info already in the computer?  Any replies please speak in simple Simon language because this old noggin is on the edge of too many senior moments.  LOL.  Thanks.

Bill

If you do an "Upgrade" install you won't lose any of your data or programs, but if you do a "Full" install it replaces everything. That is normally a choice you make when you start the install process. You probably want to do an Upgrade unless your existing system is not functional.

The OEM version of Windows installation is intended for use on an new, empty computer, whether from a manufacturer or home built, but the primary difference is the type of license issued by Microsoft.

You may find this article on free upgrades to be helpful. One of the nice things about it is that you just download the Win10 upgrade tool direct from Microsoft and it does a magic upgrade for you.  You will need your Windows 8.1 product key, though. It should be on your 8.1 install package, or maybe on a sticker on the computer is pre-installed.
https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/
A USB Flash drive is also known as a "thumb" drive.  The type of media has nothing to do with the software content stored on it, so you cannot assume a USB/thumb drive does or does not upgrade vs replace what you have. The USB drive version oF Win 10 doesn't work any different than one that comes on a DVD or is downloaded - you get the same software regardless of the media that delivers it.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on all my desktop and laptop computers a couple of years ago when it first came in.  One of my laptops finally went nuts with driver updates that MS was sending down.  I finally moved that laptop back to Windows 8.1 and never miss anything that Win 10 gives.

I'd try just downloading Windows 10 following these steps https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. It tells you how to purchase the license you will need. The OEM versions are for people doing their own builds and you normally have to buy them along with a motherboard (unless you find a computer store that doesn't follow the rules).

You should be able to make it work without creating media. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary edition on a relatively new Windows 10 machine and ended up having to make my own USB drive (why: because Microsoft can't do updates) and it went smoothly. I already had a W10 license so I could download a boot image from Microsoft -- you will need a new license https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10.

I backed up my old hard drive before starting but I didn't need to as the installer will automatically move the old contents into a new folder (where you can copy them back as needed).

Note: if you do need to use a Flash Drive,you will need to tell your machine to boot from a USB drive (it probably isn't going to by default). When you power on your machine (before trying the update) there will be a pop up message telling you which F-key to press to change the Boot Options.

When I got a new Win10 computer my data usage went from about 20 gig a month to over 100 gig a month, with little or no change in my usage patterns.

massspike said:
I'd try just downloading Windows 10 following these steps https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. It tells you how to purchase the license you will need. The OEM versions are for people doing their own builds and you normally have to buy them along with a motherboard (unless you find a computer store that doesn't follow the rules).

You should be able to make it work without creating media. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary edition on a relatively new Windows 10 machine and ended up having to make my own USB drive (why: because Microsoft can't do updates) and it went smoothly. I already had a W10 license so I could download a boot image from Microsoft -- you will need a new license https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10.

I backed up my old hard drive before starting but I didn't need to as the installer will automatically move the old contents into a new folder (where you can copy them back as needed).

Note: if you do need to use a Flash Drive,you will need to tell your machine to boot from a USB drive (it probably isn't going to by default). When you power on your machine (before trying the update) there will be a pop up message telling you which F-key to press to change the Boot Options.

Thanks - easy to read and apply and I will use your advice. I have tried to use the supposedly still free assistive technologies download but when I download the "Create Media" file, I just get an "Unspecified Error" readout.  Thanks also to all others who responded.

I tried the Win 10 upgrade.  It worked okay, except for Microsoft Money(which MS quit supporting years ago)wouldn't run on 10.  Not a big deal, except I have all my personal financial records back to the last century and also the records for my restoration shop(closed now)on Money.  I tried a "legacy" download of Money that MS said would work with 10, but it wouldn't even work with 8.1.
Ended up rolling back the laptop to 8.1 and never looking back.

The wife and I have identical laptops.  Hers has Win 10 and mine Win 8.1.  Yesterday we put them side by side and started going to the same sites and doing pretty much identical searches and functions.  The result:  I think I will save my $119 and not give myself brain freezes trying to learn another system.  I thought sure Windows 7 was the end all for me but the laptop came with 8.1 which I still have not mastered. No use in switching again. Thanks for the comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom