New owner of a 2000 Adventure 32v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

old_dutchman

First post and hope I'm doing it right. Installed 2 new house batteries and unit plugged in at home 120 outlet
and showing 20amp on my EMS. Should the disconnect switch be on or off ? 

Do you mean the switch beside the door that shuts off the house 12 volt. You can turn it on and it will charge the batteries. That is where it would be in normal use at a campground. I have a 2000 37g adventurer so probably lots of similarities.

Hi old dutchman, and welcome to the RVForum. Congratulations on your new-to-you RV! Most charging systems won't charge the house-batteries if the disconnect switch is off (in disconnect mode) so if you want to charge the batteries, leave the switch on. Your converter (the device that charges the batteries) is probably an older two-stage charger. If the RV is plugged in to shore-power all the time, two-stage chargers will often over-charge (boil) the batteries, so you should monitor the condition of your batteries closely to prevent that from happening.

A better solution is to invest in a newer three-stage charger. They're far better at sensing a battery's condtion and at reducing the charger's voltage to prevent over-charging. Really helps save batteries. Since the RV is new to you, I'd also recommend that you look at the date codes on your tires. If they are 7 or 8 years old, you should consider replacing them soon - no matter how good they may look, or how few miles they may have on them.

Kev

Thanks guys.. yes the disconnect at the steps.. Batteries are sealed mat type.. I will have to check mine put out at times just to see if they need charging and if not I just keep the switch off while at home.
  Thanks again Gents
        Gerry

Mine stays plugged in and on from May till October when I put it in storage for the winter. We load up the fridge in spring and it never gets shut off until fall. The fridge needs 12 volt for the controls even when it is on propane. If you were camping you wouldnt shut off the switch. I keep an eye on my fluids occasionally and top them up with distilled water if they are down, but in five years I have only had to add water once. We do use the mh almost every weekend though.

Our first weekend and don't laugh, will be at the KOA campgrounds at the 400 & 89 to try out all the other things
like the slide out, jacks and the holding tanks flush system.  Generator, fridge, heating system all working fine. I see
your just north of us.
  Gerry

Congratulations on that Winnie!  Good choice to do a trial run in a local place.  I frequent the state park here in town for my spring and fall transition, and sometimes just to get out of the house!

Yes, I live in Huntsville. Thats the best way to test out a new to you unit. Better to find out close to home the little problems or things missing where its easier to fix or get. You dont want to find out something doesnt work and delay you dream holiday waiting for a repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom