Gently Used towable recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Fitz

Looking to go FT this summer/fall.  I bought a Georgetown 328TS, and will want something to tow 4 down.  I don't really want to spend a lot of money on new, but don't want a dinosaur either.  Maybe 2-4 years old, smaller is fine.  It is just me and maybe one other passenger.
1.  Any vehicle recommendations - upsides/downsides.
2.  Recommendation on hitch system to hook TOAD to the Coach.

I've hauled trailers with gooseneck  and also towed travel trailers/campers/popups...never another vehicle.

thanks much.

Fitz

Most people here recommend the Honda or Jeep brand...either one is a good choice.  Just make sure the particular model you choose is 4 wheel down towable, especially the Honda. Good luck choosing.

Check out Motor Home magazine.  They publish an annual towing guide.  I think you can get the current year and the past year for free.  After than, copies can be purchased for about $2.  The guides are downloadable so you get instant results.  As a general guide, most manual transmissions can be towed, but read the manufacture's recommendations.  As for a tow bar, I use a Blue Ox.  This is my second Blue Ox system and I like the way it operates.  On your car you are probably going to need to put in a breaking system.  There are several different systems so you are going to have to research to see which one works for you.  My personal toad is a  Honda CRV which can be towed four down, but you have to run it ever 300 miles or so. 

Good luck on full timing
John  2004 Alfa See Ya DP

Massmerch is right about the Hondas (not current models) without the CV transmission and 4WD Jeeps with a neutral position on the 4WD gear box.  There are several other as well.

Check        http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/      to verify a specific model is towable or what mods are needed to make it towable.  Also check the Owners Manual (available on line) in the recreational towing section to see what the manufacturer says.

Any toad will need brakes, and several systems are available.  My favorite is Ready Brake.  The initial setup may be a bit of a chore, but the routine setup is connecting two cables and you are done.

Quite a few choices, especially Ford among Ford models. And some Jeeps, but by no means all of them. Only a few Hondas, the pre-2015 CRV and Fit. The GMC Terrain/Chevy Equinox are a popular choice too.  If you are willing to use a dolly, the choice opens up a lot to include most all front-drive sedans and crossover SUVs.

Most Motorhome Magazine Tow Guides are free. See http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

I like the Blue Ox Aventa tow bars or the Roadmaster All-Terrain models, but Demco's Ready Brute Elite with integrated surge brake unit is a solid choice too.

Back
Top Bottom