Advice needed for shore power and surge protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russgs

My wife and I are new to rv'ing and we pick up our Grand Design Reflection 26RL in 4 weeks. This model is wired for 50 amps so it has the capability of adding a second AC unit. We primarily camp in the mountains in Canada and will never go to the trouble of adding a second AC unit. The one we are getting won't even get used that mush as it tends to bother my wife's allergies anyway.
The unit will come with a 50 amp shore power cord and I want to also add a surge protector. If I know I will never need 50 amps for 2 AC's, should I just tell the rv dealer to keep his big heavy 50 amp cord and give me a 30 amp instead, since he is getting a good deal on this trade then I will tell him to give me a good price to install a 30 amp surge protector (not a 50).
Does this sound like a good plan or am I missing something critical and I should just stay with a complete 50 amp system (cord and surge protector)? Also, in case it matters we are not going to be full timing...

Thanks for any advice you may have.

I would say 50 amp is more desirable than 30. If you go to sell it in the future it might make a difference. Cant have too much of a good thing. With modern appliances it could make a difference. The 50 amp system has more than triple the hydro available than the 30 amp system.

If the shore cord is detachable (mine is) you can get a 30 amp; cord with a 50 amp; outlet on it (The RV end is an outlet)  They come in both "Lengths" and 1' length.. I had the 1' and used it with an extension cord till the plug and socket got kind of nasty,, Then I cut and spliced so now I have a "Length" and use it on 30 amp sites.. Way easier to wrangle.. But keep the 50 just in case.

For the surge protector.. Progressive Industries HW-50C hard wired inside the coach, works no matter if you have 30 or 50 amp power.. And being hard wired and out of sight of sticky fingers tends to be there when you need it.

First, you can use a 30A surge protecter on the 50A cord, so you don't have to change cords. You will need a 50A-->30A adapter anyway, for those parks that don't have 50A service available, and that can be used with the 30A adapter.

Second, you can't just "keep his big heavy 50 amp cord and give me a 30 amp instead".  50A and 30A cords have different number of wires and different plugs on both ends. You would need an adapter to plug a 30A cord into the trailers 50A receptacle. That is a different adapter than for the other end, since the two plugs are different types.

Using an adapter on the RV end of the cord and the lighter 30A cord may be a convenience for you. Whether you buy the 30A cord & adapter as an add-on or trade the dealer for the 50A is up to you. If you swap cords, you could always buy the 50A version later if you decided you wanted it (or sold it to somebody who did need 50A).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom