Hi folks! Trying to figure some things out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DelActivisto

Hi! New here. Looks like a good site, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Short story: Never had a camper before, always done tent camping, moving from Missouri to Oregon, hoping to spend less than 25-30k and possibly live in it full time for several years.

Well, that is a tall order, possibly, but that's never held me back before. I feel like we are really leaning towards a very well built A or C class motorhome - B classes are just too small. We are starting from scratch, me and my Mom, and so could potentially do a truck and 5th wheel, as well. (I just got done remodeling an investment property, and when it sells we'll go ahead and move, where I'll be finishing my bachelors in biology near Portland.) We like the 5th wheels, because trucks tend to be easier to maintain than houses with engines (assumption), but you have to park the trailers and you can't make "60-MPH-sandwiches, which is an obvious drawback. :)

We like motorhomes, because they are self contained and you can attach a toad (in our case, probably a Prius) and cruise towns and fit into very tiny, secluded campgrounds in a pinch. You also get an engine and lots of interior space in a MH, especially A class, compared to a T&5W. Any thoughts or opinions on the MH vs 5th wheels debate are appreciated, or point out some threads where the probably heated debates have already occured. ;)

Also considered remodeling a bus, but time is an issue what with moving, working, and doing college at all the same time. I could take the same amount of money and time and build a cabin, so I probably won't do that.

Also considered building a 5th wheels, because I am insane, and love a good project, but again, same problem. I just really dislike the idea of these huge, expensive trailers and MHs wearing out after about 10 years, and really think they could be better built - think Tiny Houses on motors or trailers.

We are really thinking hard about Airstream motorhomes, the old ones, on the Freightliner chassis. Any pros and cons from Airstream MH owners would be great - also how much you paid and what your insurance, maintenance and repair costs have been!

Again, I need something that will last and that doesn't require much maintenance. I will probably do most maintenance myself, as I am reasonably handy and can easily handle oil changes and air filters. Brakes and mechanical things are a little beyond me, but I expect most things on the coach itself I can repair myself - like I said, just finished remodeling an investment property from top to bottom, so not afraid of complex projects.

Thanks for any advice, I know that is a lot to ask in one post. Feel free to ask any questions, address whatever points you want, my name is Ted, pleased to meet you!

Seems like you have it figured out.  Everything that is sold has its advantages and disadvantages - that's why everyone doesn't just buy a "X".  No one will be able to tell you what is right for you. 

I will say if you want something maintenance free for 20 grand you may be in for a struggle.  I would look for something that has been well maintained and then plan to continue that tradition.  RV's are a lot of upkeep for their size.  Plan on that.  It's not bad - I enjoy doing mine but if you don't want to then you won't.

Good luck and enjoy finding the right answer for you.

If you are not going to be travelling a lot, the truck and trailer might be a better idea until you are done school. You can always have the trailer towed for you and located at a park in the short term if you dont own a truck right away. Lots of fifth wheel trailers have as much room inside as a class A mh. If you bought the truck with the trailer, you could use the truck to commute to school. The class A is better if you are moving a lot. Nicer to travel in, you can see more. You can make lunch or use the washroom easily. The fifth wheel or trailer is better if you are parked more. That way you have a vehicle you can still drive. Good luck either way.

A motorhome is more expensive to buy and more expensive to own than a trailer, so  a poorer choice if you only plan to park it to live in (not move around often). It requires vehicle liability insurance, mechanical maintenance that a trailer does not, and the tires are considerably more expensive and there are more of them (6 minimum). Your budget makes a motorhome a more challenging choice, but a truck and trailer aren't inexpensive either..

Even a large C doesn't have a lot of room for a fellow and his Mom, but space and amenities is very much a personal choice. Take Mom to an RV lot and spend sometime in a typical 29-31 ft C and get a feel for sleeping and bathroom arrangements, galley space, TV watching, etc. A layout that is really cool for a weekend can get mighty old after a few months of sharing a tiny bathroom or watching a tiny tv at an awkward angle.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
A motorhome is more expensive to buy and more expensive to own than a trailer, so  a poorer choice if you only plan to park it to live in (not move around often). It requires vehicle liability insurance, mechanical maintenance that a trailer does not, and the tires are considerably more expensive and there are more of them (6 minimum). Your budget makes a motorhome a more challenging choice, but a truck and trailer aren't inexpensive either..

Even a large C doesn't have a lot of room for a fellow and his Mom, but space and amenities is very much a personal choice. Take Mom to an RV lot and spend sometime in a typical 29-31 ft C and get a feel for sleeping and bathroom arrangements, galley space, TV watching, etc. A layout that is really cool for a weekend can get mighty old after a few months of sharing a tiny bathroom or watching a tiny tv at an awkward angle.

Great advice, and yeah, space could be an issue. We have a 2000 square foot house all to ourselves right now, so either one of us can randomly decide to dominate an entire room for art or building projects, you know how it goes. ;)

We've looked at Cs, especially since they look like they are a lot safer than A class MHs that are not essentially bus conversions. So, yeah, that does make the 5th wheels look better as well. Further, I'm more familiar with repairs on a regular truck - I've owned and driven them for years. Not so with MH engines! No idea how they work!

muskoka guy said:
If you are not going to be travelling a lot, the truck and trailer might be a better idea until you are done school. You can always have the trailer towed for you and located at a park in the short term if you dont own a truck right away. Lots of fifth wheel trailers have as much room inside as a class A mh. If you bought the truck with the trailer, you could use the truck to commute to school. The class A is better if you are moving a lot. Nicer to travel in, you can see more. You can make lunch or use the washroom easily. The fifth wheel or trailer is better if you are parked more. That way you have a vehicle you can still drive. Good luck either way.

Hm, yes, more to think about. On top of possibly living in it for a while (we are going to try to avoid doing that at any rate), we would also like to go touring quite a bit, within the range of several of the nearby western states as well as the states on the drive out. Driving a large vehicle doesn't really concern me, and Mom has also driven cattle trailers and 35' 5th wheels before, so no real worries there.

I do want something reasonably portable. We enjoy being able to park in secluded spots - hard to do that when you barrel in with 60 feet worth of vehicle!

KandT said:
Seems like you have it figured out.  Everything that is sold has its advantages and disadvantages - that's why everyone doesn't just buy a "X".  No one will be able to tell you what is right for you. 

I will say if you want something maintenance free for 20 grand you may be in for a struggle.  I would look for something that has been well maintained and then plan to continue that tradition.  RV's are a lot of upkeep for their size.  Plan on that.  It's not bad - I enjoy doing mine but if you don't want to then you won't.

Good luck and enjoy finding the right answer for you.

Yes, thank! Yes, we may have to up the price range a bit, but it can't budge much before financing is required.

Ernie n Tara said:
Note that a Prius is not towable four down and may require a trailer to carry.

Ernie

Yep, thanks for pointing that out! I've heard the horror stories of Prius pulled on 4 down. Basically you wind up with a 3,600# paperweight.

Also folks, we're not opposed to a regular truck and bumper trailer. For long trips, I am wondering, is the wind sway from, say, a 30' bumper trailer a problem? We like the Airstreams; most of the other travel trailers seem sort of flimsy.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Some Prius are dolly-towable and some require a full trailer.

I know my Prius is towable by the front wheels, rear wheels on the pavement. You have to put it in neutral, I think, to prevent the rear wheels from overcharging the traction battery.

Not that it matters too much because you want space, but I believe most state parks only take units up to 30 ft long. If you plan on using the park system, it might make a difference. Others who use the parks might be able to tell you better than me.

Motor homes generally have less interior living space than a comparable length trailer.  Parking a MH for two to three years and trying to live in it full time in Oregon can be very costly.  Drive trains simply do not like to sit for extended periods of time.  Now, depending on what part of Oregon you think you will settle in, winters can be wet and/or very cold.  We wintered at the mouth of the Columbia river gorge several years ago.  $75.00 a week in propane was not unusual, and add a couple hundred a month in electricity and things can add up real fast.
Add new MH tires after sitting three years and your idea could wind up costing you a lot of money.

muskoka guy said:
Not that it matters too much because you want space, but I believe most state parks only take units up to 30 ft long. If you plan on using the park system, it might make a difference. Others who use the parks might be able to tell you better than me.

Oregon state parks, at least some of them will have sites that can handle the largest of the modren RVs.  Some parks, especially on the coast may be limited to around 25 feet.

I wasn't aware of any length restrictions on state parks. That is a bit of a deal to me, because I'm planning on visiting quite a few on way out. Is there a site I can check length restrictions or would it be on a park-by-park basis? I can kind of understand pristine parks not being able to sustain a lot for 40' houses with wheels.

IF you plan to live in the camper OR have it parked for long periods of time, get a FW or TT.  As was said above motors like regular exercise.

As a general rule, if you will be staying at a given site a few days, then moving on, MH is the way to go.  If you plan to stay at a given location for a week or more before moving, the the FW/TT is often more comfortable.

If you want high quality, find out what a specific camper cost new.  Sites like      http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs      will give original MSRP as well as current values.  High quality, inexpensive campers is an oxymoron!  The current condition and the care a camper has received over its life also have a big impact on price and current quality.

Also note that a bumper pull TT will place 10% - 12% of its gross weight on the tow vehicle.  A FW places 20% - 25% of its weight (pin wt) on the tow vehicle.  For this reason, a ? ton truck can handle smaller TT and stay within their load carrying capacity (Payload).  For anything over about 28 ft, you really need a ? ton truck.  A 1 ton truck is needed for all but the smallest, lightest FW.

Often, older government owned campgrounds were built for the normal camper of 60 years ago, and have had few upgrades since..  You MAY get electricity and water at your site and the size trailer they can accommodate is limited.  There are almost always privately owned campgrounds nearby that can accommodate larger campers and offer full hookups.  Finding a place to camp is rarely an issue.  Finding a place to camp with a large camper in a state park or national park is a different question!

Good Luck with your research!

but I believe most state parks only take units up to 30 ft long.

I was able to put the 45 foot Beaver I used to have into a lot of the Colorado State Parks with little or no trouble. I've also been in Texas, Kansas and Michigan State Parks (not ALL of them in any state, though), and probably some others I can't think of right now. Sure, there are some parks that way, but many have at least a few sites that will handle the larger rigs.

donn said:
Limited towing capacity and no storage space.

On what? Could you be more specific? SUVs have lots of storage space, so not sure what you're referring to there. I'm thinking of an Infiniti QX56/QX80:

https://www.infinitiusa.com/suv/qx80

It can haul 9000 pounds, which is almost as much as a ? ton diesel truck! Whoa!

Welcome  to the forum. Sounds likd you have a good head on your shoulders.  Im not an expert and you will see from your other post towing numbers are not just looking at one number, unfortunately! You need to check cargo carrying capacity amongst other things.....

I wasn't aware of any length restrictions on state parks. That is a bit of a deal to me, because I'm planning on visiting quite a few on way out. Is there a site I can check length restrictions or would it be on a park-by-park basis?

There isn't any general restriction, as a few here may have intimated. It's definitely park-by-park, so you  have to check the ones you plan on using, in advance. Older parks, state & federal, sometimes have problems with longer rigs and may have restrictions to avoid them, but by no means all or even most parks. In particular, parks intended to provide only "primitive camping" in wilderness areas may have small sites and/or narrow twisty roads. Quite a few USFS recreation areas are in that category.

A "campground guide" is a useful resource, compiling park descriptions, site sizes, prices and seasons into a single entry and organized by map region and name. Available in book form, online websites, and smart phone apps.

Back
Top Bottom