Self levelers ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accordionman

I am presently researching what to buy. I have decided on a few things, but some things are still up for discussion.  Recently my wife and I went to a dealer that was the agent, here, for "Sunset Trail" TT's.
He was telling us that they have electric auto levelers as compared to stab jacks that come with other makes.

Any thoughts on if the levelers are worth the money. He said they add about $ 3-4 K to the price.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ed

They sure are nice on a motorhome. Cant see why they wouldnt be equally as nice on any unit. I guess if you dont mind the extra work. Some folks put a socket on a cordless drill to save some time and trouble if you get the scissor type ones.

I see 4 and 6 jack auto levelers on 5'th wheels pretty regularly. Just as on our motorhome, push button leveling really simplifies and shortens setup time.

I'm not sure I have ever seen auto levelers on a TT. The sales guy may have meant power stabilizers. I believe the auto levelers are on the coaches you drive (maybe I'm wrong). My Jayco has power stabilizers, which are the arm type that are like your arm being lowered from it sticking straight out from your body. They are power with a switch in the front and the rear mounted to the side of the TT. The absolute nicest/coolest/big dog thing about mine is I have a remote that not only does the stabilizers but the awning, lights, and the three slides its super cool.

I agree with the other posters, pushing a button sure is nice.! I say yes, get them. My latest goal is to get everything as "easy" as I can to set up and break camp. I'm buying alot of things that will make things quicker per se'. 

More is less but I'm trying to get more is more.!

IF you want the basic camping experience, save your money. BUT one day you will want to upgrade that TT to all the bells an whistles, just do it now.!

You do not indicate your age.  If young and healthy, save the money and do it the old fashioned way.  It's not hard, but does take a bit of time and a little work.  If you are a bit older, less energy and like to take it easy, it is a GREAT option. 

Triple Slide- I don't know exactly what the Sunset Trail has, but there are leveling systems, not just stabilizing systems available for travel trailers. Would I pay the extra for it?-probably.

Thanks for all the feedback guys ! to answer some of the questions:

Yes sir, they ARE automatic self levelers. The salesman and I sat and discussed them vs stabilizer jacks and other types of both manual and semi manual types of methods to stabilize and level the TT. We, specifically, talked about a tennis ball on the floor of the unit, after it is parked and the possibility of the unit being slightly off bubble. Never having RV'd, I don't know if the floor being off the bubble slightly is going to cause any type of discomfort or not. He talked about perfectly leveling the TT after you get it parked and how it is more work. But if you go to a RV site with cement pads; sure they might not be on the bubble, but how far off are they going to be.

Secondly, I'm 69 to be 70 this year. Very active and in decent shape, but still 69.

As far as I can see, the auto levelers are not an option on this TT, they are standard.  Here is a link to the unit.

http://www.rickbakersrvcenter.com/default.asp?page=xAllInventory&cat=travel%20trailer
2017 CROSSROADS RV SUNSET TRAIL GRAND RESERVE SS33SI

Slightly off level likely wouldn't be noticed in normal living, and the RV absorption fridge makers say as long as the RV is comfortable for walking around the fridge is happy. That said, we have a Bigfoot automatic leveling system on our coach and really like it. I don't wouldn't want to go back to an RV without at least a push button manual system, but a fully automatic system would certainly be my preference.

We have them on our 5er and love them.  We travel with a lot of stops because we go from WI to CA and back to visit kids and grand kids.  If I was going to be setting up and staying somewhere for a longer time they might not be that big of a deal.  But when we are staying at 11 different places over 21 nights it is real nice to just hit a button and be level and done.

I really wanted these when we were shopping, but not on my must have list.
When the deal we found didn't have them, I figured I'd probably add them not too far in the future.  Reality though is taht I found that the places we go I usually don't have too much of a need.  There have been a few times when I really regretted not having them, but the added weight and expense just wouldn't be worth it to me.....my point is it depends a lot on where you go....

Yeh, BLW2, I agree. They just happen to be on one of the rigs I have been looking at. It wouldn't be a deal breaker if I found a rig I liked and it didn't have them. My wife thinks we need them. I personally, don't mind if the eggs go to the side of the pan ! LOL!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom