Route suggestions from Charlotte, NC to Tucson, AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mspicer1234

I will be starting a new job in Tucson, AZ and will only have 5 to 6 days between the time I leave my old job in Charlotte, NC until I have to start my new one.

Any suggestions on a route between Charlotte and Tucson that would easily accommodate a 42 foot class A pulling a pickup truck?

As much as I would like to take more time and stop to explore the areas between I am not able to.

Thanks in advance for your input.

If the run up I 77 to I 81 doesn't bother you, that would likely be the easiest way, I 81 to I 40 all the way to Albuquerque, hang a left down I 25 to I 10 into Tuscon.  At about 2,100 miles it will take you 3 HARD days, or 4 more leisurely.  Memphis, Oklahoma City plus lots of other scenic diversions.

Ed

No need to take 77 to 81 - too far north. There are three ways to get to I-40 from Charlotte. I-77 to I-40 is the simplest but takes you north. I-85 to I-26 to Asheville where you pick up I-40 is easier but takes you further south. You can cut off the southerly route by taking I-85 to US 74 and take it to I-26, but the road isn't interstate and if memory serves me correctly, it isn't four lane all the way. Personally, I would choose the first route since it's the easiest. You'll have some hills, but if you're running a DP, you shouldn't have any trouble pulling the truck up with you.

Regardless of how you get to I-40, once you're on it, it will be your main road all the way out west. In most places, the road is in decent shape. I have traveled it from Kingman, AZ all the way to Ft. Smith, AR, and from Memphis to Knoxville. Years ago, there was an eight mile stretch through Knoxville that the truckers called Malfunction Junction because of the damage the road would do to your rig. I lost a leaf spring on a TT back in 1981 on the stretch, but they have repaired it since then.

When you get out west, do not take I-25. That will only get you to Las Cruces, NM. Stay on I-40 until Flagstaff, AZ and pick up I-17. Take it to Phoenix where you will pick up I-10 and take it to Tucson. Phoenix is a large city but not difficult to drive through. Just take your time.

I agree, go all the way to Flagstaff and take I-17 down to Flagstaff.  However when you get to ABQ area, check the weather for winter storms to be sure you don't have a chance of snow in Flagstaff.  If so take I-25 to I-10. 

"I-10 to I-20, then take I-285 around to I-85 out of Atlanta.
Time your trip so you are going through Dallas area later in the evening. There are some good RV parks East of Dallas toward the Tyler, Longview area. "

Oops. Wrong direction, but it still works. Down to Atlanta and around on 285 to 20 West-bound. I-20 combines with 10 near Van Horn, TX.
Simplest and fastest. Plan to get around Atlanta and Dallas outside rush hours.

I avoid driving through Louisiana as much as possible because they have probably the worst roads, including interstates, in the entire country. Albeit I-20 is better than I-10, which has the worst 30 mile stretch of road I have ever been on in my life, it still is not taken care of in that state. A lot of the interstate system needs massive repairs at this time, but I-40 seems fairly good through most states.

I made 2 trips west from central NC last year.  One to Las Vegas and one to SoCal.  Both times I wanted to avoid I-40 so I took I-85 to I-285 (goes around Atlanta, try to do this part mid-day as Atlanta traffic sucks) to I-20 to I-10.  Once  you get past Atlanta the trip is easy (take I-270 around Shreveport as the road surface on I-20 through Shreveport sucks).  Traffic in El Paso can also suck.  Your only other choice it to get to I-40 and head west to either I-25 in Albuquerque then south to 10 or I-17 in Flagstaff then south to I-10.  Take a good look at Google Maps and you'll see these routes.  I have also made trips west using I-40 and it's not all that bad but the road surface in some areas are terrible.  Unfortunately that can be said for much of the interstate system.  Happy RVing everyone.

I-40 through the Smoky Mountain Park region with a 40 ft rig and a toad can be fun. And from East Memphis across Eastern Arkansas to Little Rock are pretty rough, too. I'll take I-20 across Louisiana, any day.

Back
Top Bottom