Do I really need an "all terrain" tow bar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooney 78865

My wife and I just purchased a 34' Infinity class A a couple months ago and we have just purchased a Chevy HHR for our "toad".  I am in the process of selecting a tow bar/base plate combination and supplemental brake system.  We are not (unfortunately) retired and I don't expect that I will be towing but maybe 4-6 times a year at best.  I think I understand the advantages of an "all terrain" tow bar, but for us is it worth the expense? Also, thoughts on a standard 2" ball attachment VS a 2" receiver attachment?
Thanks in advance

It depends on the alternative and how much you value convenience vs extra cost. The all-terrain type tow bars are nearly always easy to hook-up and disconnect, while the others can easily become recalcitrant. It's not just uneven terrain either - they also work more easily if the toad is at even a slight angle to the coach. The least convenient tow bar is the type that stays on the toad and uses a ball coupler on the coach. You have to position the var perfectly to make the hook-up. Plus you either remove it from the tad or leave it mounted if its the fold-up type.

What I cannot tell you is how to trade that off vs the extra cost, except that I would never have anything less for myself.

I would recommend the"all terrain" for the same reasons Gary posted. It will only take a couple of times fighting to hook up the toad to make the all terrain look cheap.
I also recommend geting a 10,000 pound rated tow bar that stayes on the coach. You might change toads later and if it is heavier you would need to buy a new towbar. Plus I like the extra safety margin.
Bill

Here is the tow bar that I recommend. It is an aluminum tow bar, and has an integrated braking system.  Way more cost efficient than any other separate system.  I, as well as many others here on the forum have used it for several years. The "Ready Brute Elite" will do the job.

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

As Marty said, a number of us here use and recommend the all terrain ReadyBrute Elite combined tow bar/brake system. The 8,000 lb rating is more than adequate for any commonly used toad, and the combination makes the Elite very cost effective. We've been using ours for the past 9 years, and it has been trouble free for 50,000+ towing miles with two different toads.

I have a Roadmaster Falcon II which is not a all terrain tow bar and there have been many times I have had a problem unhooking the toad.  If I ever need to buy another tow bar it will be an all terrain model.  Dick

Thanks for all the input!  I'm definitely not going to have it stay with the toad. I am leaning towards a Blue Ox set  up of some type, with a ready brake supplemental brake system..... 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom