Travel from Oklahoma through Denver to Portland, OR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artashton

We have a 2017 24' Forest River Surveyor. We want to come back to Washington State Oklahoma through Denver to Portland by the northern route. Anybody recommend the best way pulling a trailer. Which roads have the easiest up and down hills to navigate?

What part of OK are you starting from? 

In general you don't want to take I-70 west of Denver.  Lots of fairly steep climbs.  They are not really bad, thousands and thousands of RV'ers drive that section of I-70 each year. 

Head north to I-80 and west to I-84 is probably the fastest and easiest route. 

A more scenic, but slower route, is to take I-40 to Gallup, NM, then north to Cortez, CO, Moab & Green River, UT then US-6 to Price, UT and on to Salt Lake City.  Some two lane roads.  There is a bit of a hill climb, but nothing bad, from Price to I-15 at Provo, UT.  This route also gets you away from the mad house traffic mess in Denver. 

Depending on where you are starting in OK, and whether you truly wish to go through Denver, a number of routes are available.
Assuming Denver is a way-point for you, I recommend making your way to US 412, and heading west to Boise City, then north on US-287 to I-70 at Limon.
Once you are through with Denver, head north to I-80 as ASTravelers recommends.
I-70 west from Denver has some great scenery and all, but it also has heavy traffic, High, heavy climbs and can be more "interesting" than some would like. However a stop in Glenwood Springs for a day or two would make it worth the hassle. Then west to Green River Utah and follow US-6 into the Salt Lake Region. 
If you want to avoid Denver Metro Area, and I-70 through the Mountains, At Limon, take C-71 North to Brush, and then US-34 to Greeley, then US-85 to Cheyenne.

I also like ASTravelers' suggestion for the Southern route, as well.

If you decide to take 71 from Limon, CO. To Brush, I suggest you just stay on 71 to I80 at Kimball, Ne. Miss all Greeley,Co. traffic and US85 is under construction and will be until Nov 2017.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom