tow help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RollingStones

We are still in the buying phase and I am getting conflicting answers about tow weight. My ford f150's sticker gvwr 6000, front gawr 3100, gawr rear 3200.

I am being told I can tow up to a 6k trailer (pretty sure wrong), a 3200 lb trailer and 3200lbs trailer and truck.

our goal is to get a small travel trailer with bunks.

Depending on your specific truck options, 6k lbs isnt out of the question.
Did you happen to get your ccc/payload number off that sticker?

I dont see anything that mentions it.

Attachments

• 20170328_150146_20170328150256224.jpg
    20170328_150146_20170328150256224.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 17
Need to know the actual weight of your vehicle.
Your title or registration should have the unladen weight.  That will at least get you in the ball park.
Otherwise get it to a scale.

The gross combined weight is also needed so you don't go too heavy.

In general though a 3k trailer shouldn't be any kind of a problem.  If that is your goal.

ETA:

This may help a little.
http://www.pickupwiki.com/specs%252F1998%252FFord%252FF150
You may be able to get it close if you can obtain some other info required.

thanks so much, we are looking in the wolf pup range which uvw is listed on their site at 2900ish.

I just woke up when I replied. GVWR is for the truck only. GCWR is for both truck/trailer.

But 3k lbs shouldnt be any trouble with most pick up trucks. My old dakota 4wd CC could tow 5k. I thought you were looking at a 6k lbs trailer.

OutdoorFT said:
I just woke up when I replied. GVWR is for the truck only. GCWR is for both truck/trailer.

But 3k lbs shouldnt be any trouble with most pick up trucks. My old dakota 4wd CC could tow 5k. I thought you were looking at a 6k lbs trailer.

my wife's Chrysler Pacifica will tow a 4500 lb trailer ...you should be fine.

Thanks everyone, we're going to go forward with looking for a small rig. No harm in not talking a bunch of our crap.

None of the numbers you cited determine tow capacity - you need to learn the GCWR (combined truck & trailer weight limit) and Payload (cargo) capacity to know that.

However, an old  trailer towing guide shows the least F150 as having a 4500 lb to capacity. That's a Supercab with the 4.2L V6. Most F150's are over 5000 lb.

The 2900-ish you gave for the Wolf Pup is its dry (empty) weight. You don't tow it empty, and it will exceed 2900 before it even leaves the dealer lot. Use the Wolf Pup GVWR as the estimated tow weight.  That's 5480 lbs for the Wolf Pup toy hauler and 3917 for the littlest 16BHS travel trailer.  And remember you will have passengers and gear in the truck as well, so the truck needs to be able to haul that as well.

Without knowing what engine/drivetrain and trim package your truck has, we will just be throwing darts around the correct answer. That year of F-150 had Gross Combined Weight Ratings (GCWR) of 6,500 to 15,000 lbs.

However, it appears as though the 2wd models have a towing capacity around 8,000 lbs and the 4wd models have a towing capacity around 7,000 lbs regardless of trim package.

Thanks again everyone, we're going to go have it weighed this weekend and see if we can find the manual to get the right info. You've all been very helpful.

I've already informed everyone in my family what we are planning on taking (4x 30ish qt with clothes/shoes/toiletries. The kids have two hand held locking totes with misc toys. Two milk crates with games and homeschool supplies. 4 bikes, 2 scooters. etc. I've been packing and taking the weight to make keep track of it.

We're hoping to purchase late April and have a month to get everything squared away before leaving on June 1st. 

Back
Top Bottom