Need to replace the roofing - 2000 Dutchstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm having issues with roof leaks and since we are about to move into "Waldo" full time, I need to get this fixed now.  I did do a forum search and read through lots of posts about roofing. An RV repair place quoted me about $8500 (more than the roof on the s&b which I just did!!) I'm looking into RV-Armor also, almost half the price. The most recent post I found was 2015. Just wondering if anyone has used them? If so, are you happy with it? I like the fact they come to you, but I wonder what the outside temp needs to be. It's still only getting into the 40's here. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We had our motorhome done last September and are very happy with it. We have it at the beach which rains ALOT and no leaks! Has given us peace of mind and is the best investment we have made so far.

RV Armor is a roof over-coating and not the same as a roof replacement. It may well be sufficient for your needs, though.

Your 2000 Dutch Star has an EPDM rubber roof and it may well be worn after 17 years of weather exposure. However, if not torn or badly deteriorated, coating with a liquid rubber compound such as RV Armor should extend its life another 10-15 years. That is indeed a much less expensive process than tearing off the old roof and replacing it.

It's also possible you don't need either coating or replacement.Leaks are rarely through the roof membrane itself - they are nearly always in caulked seams or around openings (vents, a/c, antennas, etc). Those seams and openings need annual inspection and touch-up, something that most Rvers neglect. A thorough job of resealing would very probably fix any such leaks, However, since your roof membrane is getting advanced in age anyway, coating or replacing will probably give you more peace of mind. And of course gets all the seams re-done as part of the process.

Back
Top Bottom