Setting up '14 Buick Enclave to tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

Just picked up a lightly used Enclave to replace my wife's dying car....

thinking about maybe setting it up to tow.  Before I do I  want to weigh it.  The brochure says it's less than my 5,000# hitch weight rating, but I know that's empty.
but IF i move forward with this
I was looking at the readybrute tow bar.  I like the idea of keeping things simple, and this readybrake looks good to me "on paper". 

I know that some of you use it.  Any reason to consider something else?

Any suggestions for the base plate?  Anything I should stay away from there?

Also, any suggestions for the taillight connections?  Anything I should stay away from there?

I've never flat towed like this before, so fishing for tips and suggestions.  (I know from other discussions here to not back-up, etc...)

Brad,

You already know as much as I do just from being here.  I can't help per se, but I can bump this back to the top for you.

NICE car!  My daughter works at the local Buick dealer with 3 years service already.

We've been happy with our ReadyBrute tow set up.  Like you, I was attracted by its simplicity.  We have Blue Ox baseplates on our 3,600 lb CR-V.  It has all worked well for the past several years.

The Enclave is probably right at 5000 lbs. The 2006 Acadia I towed for several years weighed in at just under 4900.

The E450 chassis on your coach can handle more weight than that, but it probably has a 5000 lb hitch rating.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
The Enclave is probably right at 5000 lbs. The 2006 Acadia I towed for several years weighed in at just under 4900.

The E450 chassis on your coach can handle more weight than that, but it probably has a 5000 lb hitch rating.

Just curious Gary.  Did you mean a 2007 Acadia as I thought that was the first year they were available.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:

yes, that's my fear...and my wife & kids tends to keep her cars well "provisioned" with lots of little things in all the pockets...so even if it does weigh in at 5,000# or less basic, it might very well be too heavy to tow especially after adding the tow bar set-up, and a bike rack and bikes which would have to move from the MH's hitch when we take them.
This might very well be an "exercise in theory" question....
regardless...IF the weight works, I'm guessing by the lack of comments against, that the readybrute / readybrake will be the thing to consider.

Guess I'll plan on taking it up to the CAT scale someday soon just to see where we are.

Did you mean a 2007 Acadia as I thought that was the first year they were available.

You are right - the "2006" was a typo.  I bought one of the first Acadias in January 2007 and Blue Ox tested the new base plates for their tow bar on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom