Kitchen Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsidhu

Hey everyone! New to the forum and really hoping you can help :) We have a 2015 274vfk Forest River Cherokee. I absolutely love it, but I'd like to add some personal touches to it. So I'm starting with the kitchen. It has dark cabinets and light countertop. I'd like to go from the brown cabinets to the blue (pictures attached, or below, or where ever they show up when I post this...). Any ideas on tips for stripping, staining, painting the cabinets? They are just a cheap MDF covered by veneer (I believe). Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 2016-Forest-River-Cherokee-274VFK-Travel-Trailer-VCT06-26223.jpg
    2016-Forest-River-Cherokee-274VFK-Travel-Trailer-VCT06-26223.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Blue Kitchen Cabinets.jpg
    Blue Kitchen Cabinets.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 78
If any parts are veneer over MDF, the veneer can be painted the same as any finished wood. The problem is most of the cabinet frames are actually covered with vinyl, and that may cause issues.

Use Zinsser BIN Primer first
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-1-gal-B-I-N-Shellac-Based-White-Interior-Spot-Exterior-Primer-and-Sealer-00901/100398381

Vinyl or other plastic-based veneers require light sanding and a good primer (the Zinsser is excellent) before painting.  I would recommend a top-quality paint as well, e.g. Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Cabinets get a lot of handling and are subject to kitchen grease/smoke/humidity as well, so typically get cleaned often.

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll post photos once I start my project :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom