2005 W24 chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yfx4

Do any of you have a W24 service manual? Will you share the section.on the starting system.with.me?

All.I get is a clunk when I try to start it. New chassis battery. Odd that the clunk does not happen if I use the battery boost. Im.thinking it is the starter but I'd like to go through the factory diagnostics. Oh, there are no DTC's.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

I have a 2005 W-24, but I dont have the manual.  From my experience, either you have bad connection, or the solenoid is stuck.  I have ahd the solenoid stick a time or two.  I just get under the RV with a big screw driver, and short across the posts on the starter, and it starts right up.

Starter diagnostics are pretty much independent of chassis type & model. A "clunk" indicates the solenoid closes but the starter doesn't turn. Either no power passes through the solenoid or the starter itself is bad.

Since it cranks with a booster attached, it sounds as though voltage & amps are marginal but the extra boost overcomes it. I would be thinking a poor quality connection somewhere.

yfx4 said:
Do any of you have a W24 service manual? Will you share the section.on the starting system.with.me?

All.I get is a clunk when I try to start it. New chassis battery. Odd that the clunk does not happen if I use the battery boost. Im.thinking it is the starter but I'd like to go through the factory diagnostics. Oh, there are no DTC's.

With the boost does it start or do nothing?

You either have a bad or dead chassis battery, or a bad connection on the positive cable going to the chassis battery. All the boost switch does, is ties the coach and chassis positive together. Take the chassis battery and have it load tested, just because it might show 12 volts don't mean it has the amps to run the starter motor.

It does nothing with the battery boost. It does nothing with just the chassis battery......which is new. There is a small clunk from the area of the battery solenoids under the cabin stairs, but ONLY with just the chassis battery. When  I use the boost, there is no little clunk from there.

The clunk.is different from what I am.used to hearing from.the starter solenoid. It is from a different place as well.

I load tested the old chassis battery, it failed, so I replaced it with a new  battery. The engine still will not turn over.

I suspect it is a bad connection to the solenoid or a bad solenoud. Yeah, it could be sticking, I don't want it sticing when my wife is driving it alone somewhere.

My last rig was on a 2005 W-24 chassis.  I had a similar starting problem on an Easter Sunday as we tried to travel.  I pulled the starter (not difficult) and found a Pep Boys open.  They had a bench test set up for starters.  They tested my starter and it showed defective.  They could not match it by year or part number.  Comparing it to GM truck starters they found one that was almost identical except for the heat shield.  I was able to take the shield off the old starter and put it on the new starter.  Replaced the starter and all was well for three years until I traded.  The replacement was a rebuilt starter and cost less than $100.  If you want to try that route I could check my records and might find the Pep Boys part #.

Good to know, thank you. I will check at O'Reilly--the nearest PepBoys is a ways away.

yfx4 said:
It does nothing with the battery boost. It does nothing with just the chassis battery......which is new. There is a small clunk from the area of the battery solenoids under the cabin stairs, but ONLY with just the chassis battery. When  I use the boost, there is no little clunk from there.

The clunk.is different from what I am.used to hearing from.the starter solenoid. It is from a different place as well.
Sorry, I thought I read where it started with the boost switch. Check the ground real good between the engine and the frame. Even if it looks good take it off and clean it, before replacing the starter.

The clunk you heard may have been the boost solenoid.

Checked and cleaned the ground. It needed to be done but did not fix the starter issue.

I removed the starter, took it to O'Reilly and crossreferenced the part # stamped on the original starter #GM 12570823 to the Ultima # N613326A. They looked the same so.........I installed the new one. YEAH!! It starts and does not make any funny noises. Victory!!

Thank y'all for your help!!

yfx4 said:
Checked and cleaned the ground. It needed to be done but did not fix the starter issue.

I removed the starter, took it to O'Reilly and crossreferenced the part # stamped on the original starter #GM 12570823 to the Ultima # N613326A. They looked the same so.........I installed the new one. YEAH!! It starts and does not make any funny noises. Victory!!

Thank y'all for your help!!

Did your old starter have a heat shield protecting the starter solenoid? If it did, it's worth the trouble to put on the new one since the exhaust plumbing in routed close by and can bake the solenoid.

Yes, I transferred the heat shield.  Making sure the new one had the proper mounting points was part of comparing them.

I did have to buy a star socket to remove 2 of the heat shield mounting bolts though.

Back
Top Bottom