EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: trailering  (Read 532 times)

John Connell

  • ---
  • Posts: 18
trailering
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:40:48 AM »
I have found out both my cars will have to be trailered behind my RV, my question to anyone who trailers there cars any special trailers better than others and any do's and don'ts I will be driving a 2016 Winnebago Itasca Cambria 27k that is good for 10,000 lbs and will be trailering a 1998 GMC Jimmy?

RedandSilver

  • ---
  • Posts: 1043
Re: trailering
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »
Two videos I watched on your model only claimed a 5000lbs towing ability.

I towed a vehicle on a trailer - but that was years ago so I can't give you any model advice.

2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

grashley

  • ---
  • Posts: 3717
  • Western KY for now.
Re: trailering
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
What ever trailer you choose, make sure it is rated to carry the load.  Total axle rating must be at least 90% of the weight of the trailer and the Jimmy.  Trailer tire load ratings must carry this same weight.  The other 10% of the load is on the tongue.

Trailer brakes are required, either surge brakes or electric brakes controlled by the MH with a brake controller.

As RedandSilver said, verify the MH can handle the load and the tongue wt, and that you stay within GCWR.

A design which provides easy tie down points will be a big plus.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

muskoka guy

  • ---
  • Posts: 761
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
Re: trailering
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:26:14 PM »
Are you sure it can pull 10000 lbs. Most gassers are only rated for 5000 lbs due to frame extension. Correct me if Im wrong. A trailer capable of carrying your vehicle probably weighs around 2000 lbs alone.

Arch Hoagland

  • ---
  • Posts: 1546
  • Clovis CA
Re: trailering
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:23:35 PM »
https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2015/cambria/specifications 

According to that page you can only pull 5,000lb. I'd double check for sure.

Another good source of what can be towed is the Remco site. 

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php


What year, make and model cars do you own? 

 
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

John Connell

  • ---
  • Posts: 18
Re: trailering
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:20:46 AM »
I just talked to Winnebago and with my 2016 and the v10 ford engine they can change my hitch from a 5000lb to a 7500lb, there new models with the v10 engine and chasis is coming with the 7500lb hitch which will work great the car is 4600lbs and the trailer is 1160 so at 5760 and the hitch is rated for 7500 they said I would be good to go and they said the V10 should pull it with no problems, thank you for the great advice. Till the next problem!

RedandSilver

  • ---
  • Posts: 1043
Re: trailering
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
What ever you get - make sure you get the MH and trailer to a scale.
Of course it's best to get weights on each wheel separately, however if that's not possible then I would
weight the MH alone and then get the trailer (with vehicle on it) and do a re-weigh, (could drop the trailer in the parking lot)
weighing the MH and loaded trailer. Should cost $1 more.
Then you will know your true CCC weight.

Seems a little off that you can just change the hitch and that will make it OK to tow more weight.
If that was true then many people would be changing their hitches to carry more weight. 
After all, you didn't gain any HP or torque when changing the hitch only.

The new vehicles might have a stronger frame or more reinforcements at the hitch area.  Maybe even different gearing if they
are going to really advertise that the 2017 or 2018 models can tow 7500lbs.  JMO.
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

GA_Boy

  • ---
  • Posts: 158
Re: trailering
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »
I believe he intends to trailer only one of his vehicles at a time.
RV should tow it with ease.  You can get a lighter skeleton trailer that has two axles and two runners for the vehicle tread width.
Marvin

 

Hosted by Over The Network