Backing Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

When I returned to the shop this afternoon after grocery shopping and stuff... The owner's on was backing his auto hauler trailer into a carport.

He did a darn good job of it too (perfect in fact)

Why am I posting this?  Well we've all enjoied the occasional "Backing into the site" follies

THe young man is .... EIGHT YEARS OLD

And can drive both stick and automatics in both directrions!!!!!!

As it should be, too. 
I had to wait until I was about 10 for my dad to teach me.  Had to wait until I could push the clutch pedal in my dad's bug all the way to the floor.  All 5 of my boys can drive stick, as does the grandson who is old enough to care.

They know what you teach them. I live in the country. When my kids were around 7 I bought a running car (standard), for 50 dollars off one of my employees who bought a new one. The kids drove that thing up and down the driveway, through the field, got it stuck many times, and just plain had fun. Now my oldest is 27 and both kids have been good drivers since then.They both got their licence at 16. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

He must be tall for an 8 year old to be able to reach the pedals and use the mirrors. I remember sitting between my dad's knees learning to steer and shift three on the tree, he worked the pedals. I was 10 when that truck was built and he didn't buy it new. I was no shrimp either.

Well I and a couple of my sisters learned to drive with a John Deere tractor. Must have been about a 1948 to 1950 model M. We grew up on a 50 acre ranch/farm. The tractor usually was hooked to a two wheel trailer to haul hay out to some cattle we raised. I later spent many hours disking some of the fields to keep the weeds and fire danger down.
Had my first "accident" running into a wooden brace post for the fence next to the barn, sort of scratched up the grill some. Soon after graduated to one of our 2 pickups.
Ah, life growing up on the farm...

Back
Top Bottom