no power when running generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waylo Cattle

Guys-
I have a 1995 Damon Challenger and when running off the generator, I have no power inside the motorhome.  When I hook up to outside power everything works fine...checked the GFI breaker and it is not tripped...generator is a Generac Q-55G and it cranks and runs great...12 volt system is reading fine at battery on voltmeter, but nothing inside...kind of at a loss.
Thanks-
Kurt

Is this a new to you motorhome?  Some didn't have an automatic transfer switch, if your shore power cord is permanently attached there may be an outlet inside the storage compartment you plug the cord into to get generator power.

Lou Schneider said:
Is this a new to you motorhome?  Some didn't have an automatic transfer switch, if your shore power cord is permanently attached there may be an outlet inside the storage compartment you plug the cord into to get generator power.

Exactly. Had the same problem years ago on a class C.

Didn't know you had to plug in the 30 amp cord to the generator. It was over a hundred that day and wanted to run the air conditioner. I always learn these things the hard way.

Or the generator isn't producing power. Take the cover off where the start controls are on the generator. There will be a small rectangular block with 6 or 7 wires on it, that's the regulator. There is a red led light on the regulator. Watch it when you start the generator. If it just blinks while you are starting it, try holding the start button a second or tow extra while starting. That led is on when the generator is producing power, IF the regulator is good. If you shut down the generator while under power it will KILL the regulator.The generator MUST be started and stopped with NO load on it.

The Challenger should have an auto transfer switch, that changes over automatic, after a time delay. If the generator is producing power and you still have nothing inside the transfer switch may be faulty. It is located on the back of the power panel, not so good if it is bad. I had a 95 Challenger 296 and sold it a couple years ago. Big mistake, I really liked that coach.

Did you by any chance start the generator while plugged into shore power & while under load?  If so you may have cooked your transfer switch (as we did).
When leaving a campsite I started the generator before unplugging thinking the A/C units could just keep running.  When I did unplug everything turned off.  I could hear the "thunk" as the transfer switch was trying to make the switch, but it was too late.
On ours the transfer switch in the back bay with the shore power cord.  There was a single green light, not lighted, that let me know it was toast.
On the bright side, we were looking for a surge protector and this gave me the excuse to install the hard wired version.  The transfer switch with surge protection cost about $50 more than the switch alone.  It was the same price to have installed.  And, it fit the same bolt holes as the original.

Once again, you guys know your stuff...had one of the transfer relay wires burnt in half, must of had a short or something...replaced it and fixed the problem...thank you for all the advice.

Hello group,

I am a new RV owner of a 96 Fleetwood Bounder, 34j and I believe the transfer switch is bad, but want to be sure.  How best to check it?

When not connected to Shore and Generator is on I don't have power to the AC or microwave.  Lights work but I think that is because they are running off the DC...

I checked the two small fuses at the Generator and they seem good.

Also, the ATS PN 00-00331-111 is no longer made by Intellitec and is a 50 amp ATS

Ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Ok, same guy... turned on generator (not connected to shore) and since i have the ATS open I was able to test that there is power on the GEN side, but nothing is working inside... no AC, no microwave... so it is for sure the ATS.

Now my issue is that the part is no longer available and need to know what to use to replace the PN 00-00331-111 from Intellitec... Any ideas?

Thx
Steve

No idea if your rig is similar, but I had an intermittent issue same as yours. Thought it was a harness plug but seem to have narrowed it to a slightly loose set screw on the terminal block in the vicinity of the transfer switch. One screw was about 1/2 turn loose. Tightened it and problem seems to have been resolved.

Back
Top Bottom