Mirrorless cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've been thinking of consolidating my DSLR cameras (Canon Rebel and Canon bridge) and Canon video camera into a single camera. I've done some research, read lots of reviews and watched YouTube hands-on reports. The field is somewhat mind boggling. I really like the Panasonic G7, partly because of the light weight and partly because of the ease of functionality. The downside is that my Canon Speedlite flash doesn't work in ETTL mode on that camera, and the Panasonic flash isn't chump change.

Sony A6300 and A6500 are nice cameras, but the menu system is somewhat complex, among other issues. One nice thing with these (Sony) cameras is that image stabilization is in the body, rather than in the lens.

Hi Tom
I consolidated about a year ago from a Canon 7D (18 MP) with 7 lenses and 2 flashes to a Panasonic FZ1000 (21 MP) bridge camera and a fixed 25-400mm zoom lens, even more range as my 7 Canon lenses. It can do 4K video and has a great LCD sreen that can be turned in any direction even for a selfie :). Image stabilization in camera and works awesome for video! It works with SD cards has wireless capabilities and is not expensive.
I'm very happy with this smaller camera and it weigh less then the packed bag I hauled around before.
It is true however that you cannot use ETTL flash from another brand, same as you cannot use a Nikon ETTL flash on a Canon with ETTL.
There are some simple ways around when you know some standard settings of your manual flash combined with manual camera settings. I cannot give you the numbers exact as I don't know what kind of flash you have. But it goes  like: Shutterspeed between 1/60 and 1/200 Aperture f/8 for between 6 and 8 feet. on 1/2 flash power but it depends on how powerful the flash is. Farther away? same settings but flash on 3/4, closer? flash on 1/4 etc.
dpreview.com

I got a really good deal on a Canon M3.  (I mean a really really good deal , less than half price) Then I bought an adapter (non canon) that lets me use all of my existing Canon lenses.  It has all the go to stuff on it, wireless, in camera effects, selfie mode and so on, all of which are useless to me.  It's 24MP but as far as I can tell it doesn't make that much difference from the 18 MP I've been using for a few years.  The only thing I don't like is the on camera flash, it pops up on a very fragile looking mechanism.  My speedlight works perfectly on it so that's what I use most.

It does videos very well.

Hadn't considered the Panasonic FZ100, but it's a serious camera for my needs, especially with that Leica 25-400mm lens. Many similar features to the G7, at a lower price. Manual flash is something I'd need to learn.

Thanks Russ, but the lack of a viewfinder on the M3 is a deal breaker for me; It's been my #1 criteria on camera purchases for years.

I have also downsized from my Canon 5D to a mirror less system because of the weight and size differential and so happy I did.  I have gone with the Olympus OM-D Em1 for a couple reasons.  First way back in the film days I had an Olympus OM1 and as a pro photographer, it received a lot of abuse and use and never failed me, also of importance the glass is all excellent.  Also I liked the fact that the Olympus has the stabilization in the body which means I can use a wide variety of lenses and still have image stabilization.  While I favor the Olympus, Panasonic does make a good mirror less system and I have a couple of their lenses for my Olympus as well.  The one area where the Olympus falls short of the Panasonic is video, Panasonic does real well in video while the Olympus does reasonably well.  Video is not that important to me so the few times I want to video something the Olympus is up to the task, but Olympus has the edge in stills, which is the most important thing for me.  Either way Tom you can't go wrong and if you have experience lugging around bulky equipment you will come to love the smaller platform. 

Thanks Bruce, appreciate the perspective.

Just checked prices, and got sticker shock with the new version (II) of the EM1.

Yes the new is pretty pricey, but as a pro I needed it's capability.  But besides Olympus making other mirror less models that are less expensive, do not be afraid to check the used market Ebay, B&H, Adorama & Keh camera are good sources for used.  I purchased mine used through Ebay and got a body in really fine shape, hardly used for pennies on the dollar.

Good point Bruce, I hadn't thought of buying used.

Tom, you can find a lot of photo equipment reviews at https://www.dpreview.com/.

Their reviews tend to be quite detailed. For example, their review of the FZ100 that you mentioned, is 17 pages long. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2015-roundup-long-zoom-compacts

I have also found their reviews to be well done, accurate, and very informative. Unlike some review sites, these are more than just somebody's opinion. Rather, they often include have extensive, laboratory, test results.

Their forums are also a good place for (opinionated) advice on photo equipment, or to ask questions .

Joel

Thanks Joel. I've read a few reviews on dpreview.com and, as you say, they're quite extensive.

Tom said:
Thanks Russ, but the lack of a viewfinder on the M3 is a deal breaker for me; It's been my #1 criteria on camera purchases for years.

There is an electronic viewfinder.  Same as for any other mirrorless DSLR.  I'm finding that I prefer the screen because I'm not messing with my darn glasses all the time when I use it.  The screen has pretty good viewability in sunlight but if you're wearing polarized sunglasses the off axis viewing is zero.

Since you like the Panasonic FZ100, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the FZ200. It has the an even longer, Leica25-600mm equivalent lens with an amazing F2.8 across the zoom range.

Joel

Ah yes, and the replacement FZ300. I started re-looking at Canon (so I can use my Speedlite) and was looking at their SX60. But the lens doesn't have that F2.8 over the range. My head is spinning  :-[

Since the CCD is smaller than a 35mm frame F4 is probably about the same objective ratio as F2.8 used to be.  And with being able to adjust she speed upwards up 12,000 on the fly who needs all that glass anyway?  ?

8Muddypaws said:
Since the CCD is smaller than a 35mm frame F4 is probably about the same objective ratio as F2.8 used to be.  And with being able to adjust she speed upwards up 12,000 on the fly who needs all that glass anyway?  ?

On those small CCDs, taking the ASA higher than around 800. tends to yield some rather noisy results. Some manufacturers use some aggressive noise reduction in their processing, but that also results in some loss of fine detail. Try taking a shot at 12,000 ASA , and then comparing the raw fire with the processed jpeg file. You will see how noisy the original was, and also how much detail was lost in the noise reduction.

Joel

pushed film got grainy, digital gets noise.  It is what it is.  All part of the creative spectrum.

In actuality I find that anything over 1600 is pretty much useless unless I'm looking to do something weird with the images.

Finally emerged from analysis paralysis, and pulled the trigger on the Panasonic G7 with 14-140mm lens. The combination of light weight, 1" sensor, and the best rated video were some of the factors that tipped the scale. The EVF and articulating screen were must-have features, although they're available on other cameras in addition to my Canon bridge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom