I-85 through Atlanta closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not been to Atlanta but I can just imagine the gridlock. :eek:

This morning on Ham Radio, the "72 Chew" (delete space add dot net) the opening Net Control was from just N.E. of Atlanta (near the Mall of GA)

So naturally it was a major topic of discussion

A Storage yard full of PVC conduit for Fiber Optic transmission lines caught fire.

John From Detroit said:
This morning on Ham Radio, the "72 Chew" (delete space add dot net) the opening Net Control was from just N.E. of Atlanta (near the Mall of GA)

So naturally it was a major topic of discussion

A Storage yard full of PVC conduit for Fiber Optic transmission lines caught fire.

Was the storage yard under the overpass?

The highway northbound, just before the GA-400 split is where the collapse happened. If taking 400 north is part of your travel route, then you will have to stay in I-75 to 285, and go east to 400. If you were going through Atlanta on I-85, you will probably want to take the east side I-285 beltway around town.

Rene T said:
Was the storage yard under the overpass?

Either under it or right beside it or both.... I've seen some videos.....

Reminds me of going to NYC to pick up darling daughter at Julliard... East bound no problem
but returning we had to take about ga 40 mile detour.. Seems a couple of fuel tankers and a meeting of the tanks on top of what used to be a bridge....

About 350 feet of both Northbound and Southbound I-85 have to be removed and rebuilt. It's going to take months. The damage is going to be more than just the roadway. With traffic diverted, small businesses are going to suffer.

In business it's location, location, location. Now a lot of the people who would have gone to that area are going to avoid it, for months.

It is one of the major "trunks" of the highway system in the Atlanta area.

[edit]
Just checked the news websites. A homeless man is under arrest for starting the fire. He frequented the area as a place to smoke crack.

srs713 said:
[edit]
Just checked the news websites. A homeless man is under arrest for starting the fire. He frequented the area as a place to smoke crack.

They actually arrested 3 guys.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Watched the report on the news tonight. WHAT A MESS. They were talking atleast Laborday before it is repaired.
Bill

I'll bet they get it repaired a lot sooner than that.  They were already breaking up the old concrete and I would thing that by next weekend, all the debris will be gone. They'll be working 24 hours a day I would think to get it fixed.

Rene T said:
I'll bet they get it repaired a lot sooner than that.  They were already breaking up the old concrete and I would thing that by next weekend, all the debris will be gone. They'll be working 24 hours a day I would think to get it fixed.

I understood from one report, that the precast beams needed for the repair are non-standard lengths and have to be custom fabricated. I don't know how much delay that will add though.

Thank God they have a temporary fix.

Attachments

• 17626295_10212326494939799_2603563631714962148_n.jpg
    17626295_10212326494939799_2603563631714962148_n.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 28
Just read this from a article written 4 days ago.  The projected completion date is June 15th:

But on Wednesday, McMurry announced the contractor behind the repairs, C.W. Matthews, can earn an extra $1.5 million for completing the project by May 25 ? three weeks earlier than the target completion date..

According to AJC?s David Wickert, the contractor could earn $2 million for completing it by May 21 and $200,000 for each day before that, up to a total of $3.1 million.

NY_Dutch said:
With incentives like that, I sure hope there's some really good quality inspectors on the job! 24/7! ;)

That's what I was just thinking.......incentive money to hurry up.....QC out the window unless there is some very tight inspection going on 24/7.  Nothing like have an extra truckload of rebar left over after the concrete is poured.....or a 55 gallon drum full of extra bolts and rivets.

xrated said:
That's what I was just thinking.......incentive money to hurry up.....QC out the window unless there is some very tight inspection going on 24/7.  Nothing like have an extra truckload of rebar left over after the concrete is poured.....or a 55 gallon drum full of extra bolts and rivets.

Yep... "Slump tests? We don't need no stinkin' slump tests!" :)

(A slump test is an onsite way of determining if the concrete mix in each truck meets basic specs.)

The bridge is now open. I posted this info April 22nd:

Just read this from a article written 4 days ago.  The projected completion date is June 15th:

But on Wednesday, McMurry announced the contractor behind the repairs, C.W. Matthews, can earn an extra $1.5 million for completing the project by May 25 ? three weeks earlier than the target completion date..

According to AJC?s David Wickert, the contractor could earn $2 million for completing it by May 21 and $200,000 for each day before that, up to a total of $3.1 million.

Pretty good incentive

WOW.. In Darien, GA (McIntosh County) When I got there in 2011 they were working on the Highway 251 bridge over and interchange with I-95.... That was June 2011.

When I left.. 2 days ago.. Still working on it.

Rene T said:
The bridge is now open. I posted this info April 22nd:

Pretty good incentive

I can't help but wonder how they managed to complete it so fast.
I believe I will stay with 285 on my trip through Atlanta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom