New to RVing need help choosing the right truck to haul a TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmr85

Hello everyone. Me and my fiance are in the process of looking to buy a travel trailer to live in it full time for a year or two. We have physically seen a few already and have made up our mind in purchasing a 2017 Palomino Puma 30FKSS with a weight of 8,000 lbs.

We are really new to this living style but I am guessing that with our personal items the weight will increase significantly. So we are now in the process of truck hunting. Can anyone be so kind to recommend a truck size IE: 3/4, 1ton diesel or gas engine, what suspension and transmission is needed etc.

Our budget for a truck is no more than 20k, we want a truck that will meet and supersede the towing requirements, just to be on the safe side. Thank you everyone.

Welcome to the Forum!!

There are several comments here, in no particular order.

You should be okay with a PROPERLY EQUIPPED ? ton pickup truck with max tow package.  The key is how much weight the truck is designed to carry (payload).  This includes all passengers, cargo in the truck, 80# for a Weight Distributing (WD) hitch and the hitch wt of the camper, or 10% of LOADED trailer weight.  However, if you have a cap on the truck and store 1,000# of "stuff" in the truck, then this weight counts, too, and you will need a ? ton truck.

NEVER use the UVW of the truck to determine how much you are towing.  It is probably heavier than that when it left the factory, and likely does not include propane tanks, needed hookup stuff, or anything you will carry in the camper.  The GVWR is a much better estimate of the weight when you tow it.  In this case, 9950#.

You indicate you are a bit tight in money, so why a NEW camper?  A gently used camper will cost less.  New entry level campers all have factory "oops" that will be repaired under warranty, but we are talking about taking your HOUSE to the shop for a few days - or weeks!  Where will you live??  A gently used camper should have these issues resolved.  If you decide you want a different floor plan or need a bigger camper in a year, the trade will be much more affordable if the trade is purchased used.  It also leaves a bit more flexibility on the price of a truck.

Where do you plan to camp?  No camper is a good place to spend the winter in a cool climate.  How long will you stay in one place?  How will you produce income while traveling?

For the truck, a ? ton or 1 ton SRW will be your best bet.  The TT (travel trailer) can only carry 2000# of stuff, so I am sure the truck will be carrying the rest of your necessities.  If you are towing the TT over 10,000 miles a year you may prefer a diesel, especially if this is in the mountains.  The big issue is diesels are more expensive to buy and maintain.  Gas will be more in your price range.  For the bigger trucks, you usually have two motor choices - one gas and one diesel.  That choice makes the transmission choice for you on most models.  You will want the tow package, if not standard, and that will bring a strong suspension.

I hope this raises many more questions.  ASK AWAY!!  If you do not know the answer, it is not a dumb question.

Read lots of threads and Library articles (tab near top of page) and you will find answers to many questions and ease some of your fears.

The '17 Puma 30 fkss shows to have a 9950 gvwr and a 8000 lb dry weight. By the time you load the trailer with 1000-1500 lbs of "STUFF" your looking at a 9k-9.5k trailer.

Your looking at a used truck under 20k bucks !!

Diesels ?  Any of the 2500/3500 srw year model Dodge Cummins....or GM Dmax.

Ford diesels ? I wouldn't recommend the 6.0 or 6.4 diesel from Ford. There are reasons both engines were dropped. Check out some of the Ford diesel websites for a ear full.
The old 7.3 or the new gen 6.7 are dependable.

Gas engines ?? 3/4 or one ton srw for a 9k-10k trailer .
  Look at Fords 6.2.....or GM 6.0......or the Dodge 6.4 engines can handle that size trailer.

1/2 tons ??
  Fords F150HD with 8200 GVWR and 4800 RAWR 5.0 or the 3.5 ecoboost have the power and rear axle numbers for that heavy TT.

The older  '00 Dodge 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 hemi 8510 gvwr and 6000 rawr is a contender. The truck sits on a 3/4 ton chassis.

'00-'06 era GM 1500HD with 8600 gvwr and 6000 rawr 6.0 engine is the old platform 3/4 ton truck and is good for a 10k tow rating and 3000 lb payloads.

Good huntin' for the used truck...

If you do real good searching, youll find some 1 tons for your budget. I always recommend 1 tons because if youre going to spend a pretty penny, might as well get your moneys worth. If you have an issue with mpg, can always do diesel..which may be a bit more, but they have advantages. I bought my 1 ton, which is loaded, for a little above your budget. It is gas and SRW. Which can still tow the size trailer youre considering. Also, if you choose to, it gives you options to upgrade teailer to 5th wheel or nice sized truck camper if you stop full timing but still want to camp.

I cant recommend certain years, but with research (I used cargurus.com) I found great deals. Was going to check out a powerstroke but the place called and said it was sold before I got there. I was looking at sub 30k and newer.

1. Use the trailer GVWR as the estimated weight. You will fill it with stuff and odds are it will weigh close tot he max. Or even a bit more.

2. Buy a used trailer. There are plenty of nice ones available and buying new is no guarantee of it being trouble-free. Often the opposite. You will  save a bundle of money on a used vs new RV.

3. A few half ton trucks can handle a 9950 lb trailer, but a 3/4 ton would be a much better choice. Used trucks are expensive, especially used diesels, so with a $20k budget you are probably looking at an older gas engine F250 or 2500.

I have a TT that weighs a little less than 7000# fully loaded. I know that because I weighed my TT loaded and also know my tongue weight. After you get your rig be sure you weigh it. I digress. Anyway my TV is a Suburban 2500 with an 8.1L gas engine. It is under powered a bit for towing here in Colorado for my TT weight. If you are going anywhere near mountains a bigger truck with a bigger engine is always better. If you have a TV that is more than required that is all good. If you are under powered and the TV is near it's max weight, that is not a good thing. I know, I tried using my original 1500 Suburban and had to by a 2500.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for your advice. Now a few things have changed and I will put them in order as follows:

1. We have made a decision that we are going buy a used TT with a dry weight of 5,000-6,000 with a tongue weight not to exceed 600 pounds and a GVWR that will not exceed 7,500 pnds, also the TT will be no more than 26ft long.

2. Our budget for buying a truck went up to 35k

3. We are now in the predicament of choosing a used Ford f150 ecoboost twin turbo engine or a dodge 1500 ecodiesel. But I do not know which would be a better choice. All I know is that the Ford f150 has a rear axle ratio of 3.5 while the dodge 1500 has a choice of 3.5 and 3.9 rear axle.but I think a truck with a 3.5 rear axle should be sufficient enough to pull the TT and carry 2 adults a small child and 3 bicycles.

5. We are either deciding to live in Arizona or Colorado both in rv parks for either 1 or two years. I have chosen places that offer all utilities. We have spent time during the winter season in both areas. Should I be mindful of getting a TT with insulation if there is even an option?

Lastly I forgot to mention since we will be living in a mountainous area are we in need of a 4x4 equipped truck? I mean the TT will be hauled to its place and the rest of the time I will be using the same truck just for commuting until it is only necessary to move again which would be in a year or two. Or if the TT needs a repair.

What do you guys think? We made the TT decision because we are a small family and also new at pulling such sizes and a 30 ft trailer with with 9.5k GVWR seemed too much for us amateurs. We also made the decision on those two half tons because they both seem to do the job sufficiently and also because I will be commutting with them and they seem to have good mpg.

Thank you for the update!!

Since you will not be doing much traveling with the TT, the ? ton should be fine!

The hitch weight MUST be 10% or more of the LOADED trailer weight or you will have major towing issues with sway and bouncing.  For 7500 GVWR, this means 750# hitch weight.

That is a much better truck budget, but again, go used!  Either one of those trucks should be fine, although I have heard some rumbling about the ecodiesel reliability.  Do your own research before taking this off your list.  Do not go on my word alone!

The 2WD or 4WD option depends on what you would get if living in the same place in an apartment.  You do not need it for the bit of towing you will do.

Almost all campers get very cold in the winter or you go broke buying propane.  There are other threads on how to prep a camper for winter living.  Since you say you will be in the mountains, I assume both locations will see snow and freezing weather.

KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!

My trailer, fully loaded, is about 7500lbs. I tow with a 2015 Toyota Tundra 1/2 ton. Towing capacity is listed at just under 10,000lbs. The truck has the full towing package with the "tow haul" mode. Not exactly sure what the tow haul mode does, but it does make a big difference!

Truck is around 400 HP, and tows my trailer beautifully. Can hardly tell it is back there at times. You do certainly notice it when going up steep hills, but probably impossible to avoid unless you buy a semi! :D

Personally I am a fan of Toyota, so perhaps a bit bias, but my history with Fords has been terrible and I will never own another ford ever again.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but hopefully it is :D

grashley said:
BcNorth

You have provided a great example of what towing is like when the truck is NOT overloaded!  Thanks!

Years ago - wow, decades ago now! I was driving with my dad and we saw a truck towing a small trailer. The trailer was whipping side to side violently - I was just waiting for the guy to crash and die or something. Was terrifying. He managed to get it under control.

I asked my dad how that would happen. He told me that most likely the trailer was over weight.  I was a teenager, early teens probably, but that image & lesson stuck with me right until I bought my first trailer, and I always do my best to ensure I am under weight!

Not sure if my dad was correct or not, but never-the-less, being overweight is just not worth the risk in my book! Besides, safety aside, I don't want to wreck my truck either, damn thing was expensive!

Hey everyone so we are still looking carefully for a truck and here are the listing so far:

2014 ford ecoboost 3.5l: HD payload and Max trailer tow package.

2015 ford ecoboost 3.5L: HD payload and max trailer tow package.

2015 gmc sierra 1500: max trailering package.

2016 Chevrolet silverado 1500 LTZ: 5.3 eco 8 speed max, trailering package.

2015 Chevrolet silverado 1500 LT: 5.3 eco 6 speed max trailering package.

All below or exactly at 35k budget and all below 40k miles.

Also in regards to travel trailers we found a used 2016 outdoor rv black rock 23bks 4 seasons that has a max GVWR of 8,000 pounds and a tongue weight of 800 pounds. With regards to max weight I do not think we will max at 8,000 pnds  ( trailer weighs with no cargo just 5,720 lbs) we have sold all the heavy furniture and excess items we are going just for the bare ie clothes, bed items, important documents, small electronics and entertainment devices school/work supplies camping/outdoor equipment. The rest will be bought to accommodate our miniMalist/rv living style until we settle down in a house.

I used to have a 2014 Silverado 1500 with towing package pulling a 6,600 scaled TT 26 ft.  It was not fun.  I would not recommend one for an 8000 TT. MHO

It seems you have several decent choices there.  You did not mention trim line on the Fords.

Check the YELLOW LABEL on the driver door latch post on each.  This will show TRUE payload for each.  A very well optioned truck may have a low payload.  You will need at least 1500# or more for your needs.

800# hitch wt + 80# hitch + 2 people at 150# (you are still young, so this should still work!) + 300# misc cargo = 1480##.  More is better, within reason!

I'm not going to try and sell you on a diesel, they are not for everyone. However, I will try and sell you on the right truck for the job. If your not going to be pulling a lot once at location, a diesel doesn't make sense for you, and diesels are not great daily drivers. With a budget of 35000.00 for a truck, the diesel you would get would be 10 years old. 

I live in CO, and many of the members on this fine forum have most likely been though here at one point of another. We have some great places to visit and stay. Most of these locations include a mountain pass or two. (LaVeta, Monarch, Wolf Creek, Vail Pass, Loveland).

Now to my point. Currently, in the 1/2 ton market, I can't recommend one of them to you. Power is not the issue in most cases. The problem you will find is capacity ratings and tongue weight. The F-150 probably has the best rating (not saying it is a good idea), but still can be an issue. Next is the brakes and suspension to handle the weight and abuse put on a truck.

I would recommend a 3/4 ton gas powered truck. GM 3/4 ton 6.0 with the 4.10 gears would be a top contender for me. I drive a 2015 F250 6.2L truck at work. I have to say, pretty nice truck, decent power and big capacity ratings. Not as good on the fuel, but your driving a large truck that isn't a diesel.

I had HD dodge diesel trucks, and they cost me an arm, leg, and almost a marriage. I then went to a Tundra. There is no lack in power with those trucks and the brakes are good. However it just wasn't good enough when everything wasn't perfect. Capacity/tongue rating sucks, and you run out of those long before you run out of max trailer weight. Going down mountain passes was rough and usually a good white knuckle time. This past year we decided after towing our camper 6000+ miles in CO, and NM that it was time to be real with ourselves.

We went back up to a HD truck and towing was a dream again. No longer were we just dead tired upon arrival, we felt relaxed and the truck worked as advertised. I just don't think a half ton will ever be in front of my campers or flatbed again, not when it is this good.

Something to consider when buying a truck. I can't say that I've ever heard "I hate that I purchased a large truck," but I have heard the opposite when talking about a smaller truck sizes.

In my opinion diesel does not make sense in a 1/2 ton and marginal sense in a 3/4 ton simply because they are much heavier than their gas counterpart and so they have a reduced payload in most cases. The Dodge Eco-diesel has a very low payload. Nice trucks but not the greatest choice for towing heavier trailers. I would look at the Ecoboost F150s and learn how to decipher the yellow door sticker to be sure they have the max tow package. That is a fairly rare option and dealers will advertise it only to play dumb when you find out it has the standard tow package.

The Outdoor RV trailers are probably the best insulated trailers in your size and price range and are very well built, especially compared to other brands.  They are one of just a handful of all season trailers that actually have four season capability. Even so a Colorado winter or an Arizona summer will be a challenge for any RV. Are those the only options? Maybe winter in Az and summer in Boulder would work better.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE ?.

So we bought a truck. After much consideration, opinions given to us, and allot of research, we bought a 2015 RAM 2500 6.7l diesel 4x4, one previous owner with 54k miles carfax and hired mechanic checked. Cost us out the door 29k needless to say we are lucky with the price from what I've been told and read here.

We chose it because it's the right fit for us. And also because buying a half ton was kinda a risk in my opinion. So here is our truck. We are going back to pick it up next week.

Attachments

• 6f2c303856ad488aa88db1f4438fe165.jpg
    6f2c303856ad488aa88db1f4438fe165.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 44
You made a damn good choice.  "I bought too much truck," said no one EVER.

You won't regret having the diesel power to tow in the mountains.

Ron

More pictures to come once we have it.

Thank you everyone for so much help and patience with all our questions. Now that I bought the truck what do we need in regards to towing. I know we need a sway bar? Weight distribution adapter? What do we need exactly? And apologize for not saying the correct term, I am learning as I go.

With that being said I am also in the process of looking for good deals on used travel trailers 4 seasons one. Coming this June we will be heading up to Tampa for a rv show.

Attachments

• 20170501_204918.jpg
    20170501_204918.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom