three hitch receivers on tow bar what to use them for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erald

Hi,

We have just bought an used American Tradition and we are planning to tow a dolly with our car. However we noticed we got three receivers at the back. Now is logical to use the middel one for towing  :) but asking myself for what reason the others are on and how to use them. I cannot think of utilizing those when I have my dolly on.

Does anyone ever seen this or have it and can tell me more about it.
Also it seems I have an air outlet next to the middle receiver and know there are trailers which use air for braking, but am not aware of how this exactly works. (do not think I need this for a tow dolly)

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 51
I purchased my trailer used but it was only a year old. It had the same thing. I'm thinking the previous owners had a special platform built to carry something heavy like maybe a motorcycle. They found that it was too much for the trailer so they traded it in and I ended up with it. To make a long story short, the axles were bent so I think they really overloaded it.
Your situation could also be for one of those single wheel trailers or a special carrier for a mobility scooter.

Thanks Rene,

Never thought there were special single wheel platforms with wheels actually (with googling I found this http://www.cruiserlift.com/id77) which is using the dual hitch receivers and 2 swivel wheels. You can even tow a car or dolly with it.

Never seen it and wondering if this is not going to be to heavy and bouncy with those small wheels.

erald said:
Thanks Rene,

Never thought there were special single wheel platforms with wheels actually (with googling I found this http://www.cruiserlift.com/id77) which is using the dual hitch receivers and 2 swivel wheels. You can even tow a car or dolly with it.

Never seen it and wondering if this is not going to be to heavy and bouncy with those small wheels.

Or this:

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel-58-dual-wheel

Motorcycle lifts and bike racks are the common reasons for multiple hitch receivers.

The air outlet is almost surely for a toad (towed car) brake, not a trailer. Units like the Brakemaster and the SMI Air Force one use an air connector like that.

As others have noted there are single wheel platform trailers that hook to the two outer receivers.

Another thing I have seen is a sat TV antenna mounted on a receiver adapter.  With adapters on both sides you can choose the best "Side" of the RV.

I hang (from time to time) ham radio antennas on my hitch reciever  but.. Well I only have one.  But the adapter is speial (Custom made by Blue Ox)  It not only takes the blue Ox tow bar (Itr's a drop hitch adapter) but a bicycle carrier, the ham antenna mounts to the bike rack upright.  Nice, Neat and easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom