Auxiliary batteries not charging 89 itasca sunflyer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacob

Hello I recently bought an 89 itasca sunflyer 29'. The issue I seem to be having is I can only get the aux batteries to charge when the vehicle is running and the Battery Mode switch is set to Dual.  This option charges the aux batteries off the rvs alternator I'm assuming.

The manual says the aux batteries should charge when the RV is connected to 110 or while the generator is running.... but after putting a volt meter on the batteries I can see no charge. I do see all the lights working and have checked as many fuses as I can find.

My question is could the ac to D.C. Convertor box located behind the passenger seat be bad? If so is there a way to test it? I assume 110 goes in from both the gen and outlet and it's converting to 12v to run the lights but doesn't this box also send 13.5 VDC to the batteries.  Thanks

Converter charger series 7400.  Model 7445.

Did you check the fuses on the unit itself? If you suspect it bad, disconnect the output and measure the DC out. According to specs it should have 13.8vdc with no load. You might also check the input voltage. Don't forget to make sure the meter is set to AC. Should read around 110 VAC.

I did check the two fuses on the unit.  I will attempt to pull it out tomorrow so I can check the output. Thank you. I will also check th AC power coming into the unit. 

I'm not sure about a 1989 vintage unit, but later models would not charge the chassis batteries while on shore power, only with the engine running via the battery mode solenoid.

If your battery charger/converter is original to the unit, you should replace with a modern three-stage charger. We have many threads about battery chargers and how to charge the chassis battery while on shore power (Trik-L-Start or Xantrex Echo~charge.)

Thank you! Before replacing I just want to make sure that this is the issue. Don't have money to simply start replacing things.  The owners manual specifically states that the Rv is supposed to charge off shoreline AC as well as the Generator.  Makes me think it could be going bad.  Having an onboard generator that puts out 110 and goes to a converter -> 12vdc without doing anything else, seems like a waste of a generator.  The manual for the generator says their is a double pull double throw switch somewhere that is supposed to flip depending on if you're using gen or shoreline.  Not sure about this either.  Fun rv and I enjoy problem solving. 

My question is could the ac to D.C. Convertor box located behind the passenger seat be bad? If so is there a way to test it? I assume 110 goes in from both the gen and outlet and it's converting to 12v to run the lights but doesn't this box also send 13.5 VDC to the batteries.

Yes it does get 110 power from either source and is supposed to charge the house (aka "aux") batteries. Not the chassis battery unless a separate battery charge controller is also added.

I don't think the 7445 was the original converter/charger in a 1989 vintage unit, so hard to say if it is wired to charge properly. The original would probably have been a 63xx model and that had separate wires for converting and charging. The 7445 has one output wire for both, so needs to be wired to the battery to charge it.

You can get some tech info on the 7445 at this web page:
http://www.spectrum-x.com/PPS/Products/Converters/Deckmount/7400/7445/

Check to see if the lights are running off the aux house battery. They would grow dimmer over time, for example. You can also check voltage on the house circuits - if the converter is working, the voltage will be in the 13+ range. If not and battery power is in use, it will be under 12.6v.

Thank you!  The house batteries do work when nothing is plugged in. The aux light on the dash will be lit ( batteries are 11.6) and all 12v works.  With gen and 110 I notice the aux light on dash gets brighter and all 12v lights are now working through converter. The only thing the converter seems to not be doing is charging the aux batteries.  Only way I can charge aux batteries at the moment is to run engine and push mode switch to dual.  I will pull the unit and check the output then start following the wires.

Another thing... might be related or not.... when generator is running none of the 110 outlets work, except the one the converter is plugged into.  They only work when 110 is supplied. This might be normal but why have a gen if I'm not getting 110 in the outlets.

My 80 Itasca Suncruiser would charge both sets of batteries if the switch was in duel, no matter the source. If you get in a habit of leaving it in duel you will experience all dead batteries, been there. If you leave it in duel and are not plugged in it will deplete all batteries. Set the duel switch to normal, Disconnect the batteries and plug it in, see if the lights ect work. Unplug it, hook the batteries up, check the voltage on the batteries no load, then plug it in, check the voltage again.  You say the converter is behind the passenger seat, stand alone or fuse panel?

You might have to have the power cord plugged into the generator. Look around there may be a plug in the generator bay or the power cord bay that you have to be plugged in to get 110 from the generator.

Thank you.  I leave the switch in the normal position most of the time.  When driving I like to put it on dual to charge the aux batteries. With gen and 110 with switch on dual no change to batteries 11.6. Disconnected batteries and plugged in to 110 lights and appliances work 12v and 110. Batteries read 11.9 on one 11.6 on other with no load. Plugged in with batteries connected still 11.6 no charge appears to be going in.. same witch switch on dual.

Behind passenger seat which is raised...is a what looks like furnace floor vents at first appearance... looking inside and removing these vents is where the converter/ charger,  series 7400 model 7445. It is plugged into a 110 outlet I will pull it out of its home and check the output today or tomorrow.  It appears to be converting ok but not charging.

Look at the output of the converter. There may be 3 wires going to the fuse board. If so that converter has 12 volts to 1/2 of the fuse board and another 12 volt for charging the batteries. Bestconverters.com sells a pd4600 series replacement box that will replace the currant converter with a 3 stage converter that will take good care of the batteries. i'm like Gary and thought the 7400 series didn't use that though. Look at this link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whemme/

I used a PD9260 which is a upgraded converter with the built in charge wizard instead of the 9160, both same size and will fit. The 4600 series is a drop in replacement, but cost a bit more, but that's the way I'd go because it's a lot quicker and works just as good. 

Just thought of something else. There may be a circuit breaker between the coach battery and the converter. Fallow the wires from the battery to the converter, there may be a little rectangular box with 2 studs, it may be tripped. There will be a reset button on one end of it. If not use a meter and check the voltage on both sides of it.

Update!

I checked the converter box and it works properly. Traced the wires over to the fuse box where I found a relay!

One side of the relay had the aux batteries current visibility on the meter and the other side was getting the 13.6 from the converter but the relay appears to be in the closed position.  After googling the relay I found a diagram and instructions on how it operates. It has two posts, labeled on diagram as "I" and "S" these control the opening and closing of the relay.... I'm now in the process of trying to figure out where these wires from the relay go. There must be a switch somewhere that causes the relay to open. Maybe a battery disconnect switch somewhere?

So this is where I'm at....trying to figure out where the wires from this relay go!  I got anxious and wanted to see if the relay even worked so I went ahead and gave it some juice and it opened.  It only needs a quick hit of juice to open or close it. So now it's open.... will it close again? What controls it? Where do the wires go? Am I on the right path? 

I see the Winnebago site only goes back to 1990 on that model. But you can look at these adn maybe get some idea of where your wires are running? The Sunflyer is listed there albeit a 19990 model.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1990/1990_Wiring_Models.htm

There is usually a Battery Disconnect Switch near the steps, sometimes an additional switch on the dash. It is a latching relay, so a voltage applied to it changes it's state but only needs to be momentary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom