The life of our lemon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BikerFlex&HappyJen

Instead of being on another thread in this forum sharing our new adventures with you wonderful folks, instead, we realized days after purchasing our new-to-us fifth wheel, we bought....a lemon. ?
So, with that, we will be starting our journey here at rvforum in the great beyond of Remodeling our RV.
Where to begin...

We decided on our 99 Dutchmen 5th wheel because it was light weight and did not have slides. Our thinking was, the less things to maintain the better. Boy, were we wrong. First, when we hooked it up at the dealer we bought it from the clearance was too low to the bed of the truck, so as we were sent on our way home (3 hour drive) we were advised we may need an axel flip. We had to tow our lemon home unlevel to avoid collision with our truck bed. Flex described it like dragging a wet blanket behind us.

Upon returning home we got another surprise. Because of the low clearance and slight incline of our driveway, we could not get it into our driveway. The next day we took it to a local rv dealer and requested an axel flip. Upon getting that done  we were told we also needed new bearings and new brakes.

Finally, with the axel flip, bearings and brakes complete, which made a world of difference, we were finally ready to bring 'er home! Spring break here we come! Not quite...

We had combed through the rv before purchasing and checked corners, walls, and thought we did a pretty good check through. Everything seemed in good order. Unfortunately we checked most everything except under the dinette benches. Mistake. After pulling up the cushions and a brand new looking rug stowed in each compartment, low and behold...the dreaded dark spot. Oh, dark spot we know what you are...

And that folks, is what started our adventure of our lemony-lemon.

Attached are the first pictures of how this started and we will keep you updated on our project. It's been both a burden and a blessing. As difficult as it was to accept this disheartening discovery, we have stayed optimistic that we can handle what has come our way. In the end, we will have a beautiful camper that we can enjoy. We didn't plan on doing renovations right away, but since we are forced into it, we appreciate being able to make it our own. Any advice along the way is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 390
Can you not force the dealer that sold it to you to fix this?

Used RVs are  sold "as is". Unless the dealer made specific statements about "no leaks" or "good brakes" or offered some sort of warranty, there are no grounds to ask him to do anything. Especially with an 18 year old RV...

Be sure to ascertain where the water is coming from.  Chances are the water is just settling where you discovered the problem and not necessarily the source.  If what you are showing is the extent of the damage I don't see a real big problem. 

I think you will be OK.  Keep your chin up.

A lemon is normally something that is new and has unresolved issue/issues that the dealer can't or won't fix. These issues are almost always direct from the factory. You bought an 18 year old trailer that you didn't inspect thoroughly enough. I absolutely feel the dealership should help with the repairs since the brakes are a safety item and the water damage may be a health issue but buying an 18 year old unit has risks.
Hope all goes well in the future and these are your only issues
RichH

you can always flip it and be a little more cautious with your next purchase, that's what I would do

if you go through a dealer again, you'll know to ask questions like "when were the bearings/brakes last serviced?" "when was the roof last replaced?" and if the answer is "We don't know" then you say "Then we assume the worst and the cost of those services will now be deducted from the purchase price"

use your own words but you get the idea

everyone has some issues with used trailers and you'd be insane to think you wouldn't. but having an idea of what the issues are, and negotiating that in to the price is the remedy

As is with ANY used ... ( even 2 days old ) the old saying ALWAYS holds true ...

Caveat emptor

What lemon???? There is nouthing heare that constitutes it being a lemon. You had ample opertunity to inspect it. You should have knowne that it was to low to tow behind your truck. You do own a tape meshure don't you? I bet you haven't looked at the date code on the tires to see how old they are.
Realley not picking on you but just because you didn't catch some ishues doesen't make it a lemon.
Bill

When I call it a lemon, I say it with good intentions. I'm trying to make light of the situation, all things considering. I originally joked we should call it Humpty Dumpty. We are trying to have good attitudes about what we got ourselves into. We are quite pleased so far. It has been a lot of work and sore muscles. One day at a time we are making progress. Learning has been such a great aspect of this whole process considering this is the first camper besides our Pup that we have owned. Yes, we made some mistakes picking and buying this camper, but we have also learned so much and grateful for the knowledge. Hopefully our mistakes can help others not make the same ones. It was disheartening being a fairly new buyer picking out a camper and trying our best to learn how to get a decent one. Yes, we picked an rv that needs some help, but after it's all said and done, it will be something we are very pleased with. It's all about having the right attitude.
Yesterday we were able to get it reframed and part of the subfloor down. We had some surprises along the way. All in all it's coming along quite nicely.
Appreciate everyones input and the great tips you've shared. We probably should have joined the forum BEFORE rv shopping.
I am going to attach a picture of the bad corner (before)  and then some of what we got done yesterday. We did find the water was coming in from the seams on the back moldings tha were not sealed well. You could see where the water started entering in when we pulled off the siding and paneling.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 262
Holy cow, Bill! Have a heart. Like none of us have never made a bad judgment call in our lives.

My hat's off to these people! I'm reading nothing but an awesome attitude! And I would bet my bottom dollar that any member of this forum would help any way they can.

Keep us informed. I will be watching.

Good news today! After a good rain, it appears we no longer have water coming in via the back corner seams. Leaks have indeed been fixed! Before the repairs, after we pulled off the interior paneling we could see the water coming in during a rain via the corner seams and run down to the dreaded dark spot(s). Looks like we are good now! ?
We did get the outside siding back on last night. That was a good thing since we had rain coming. Still some things to buckle up via outside and then we can focus on finishing the interior.
Also, I did a few updates to the bathroom the other day, although it's not fully complete yet. It was nice to get some cosmetic things done as well.

This is ToesInTheSand DH (Flex).  Thanks for the welcome.  Common sense seems to dictate that few can look back and say, "I've never been so excited about this or that, where the excitement didn't outrun one's common sense.  I did.  I am not ashamed.  I say, "So what."  We bought an Rv that showed me what I didn't know; I didn't know. 

We bought an Rv that needed work. 

My wife described it as a "lemon." We laughed and we shrieked at the same.  Some say that if one knew all that is to be known about everything, one would choose the winning lotto numbers first!  We don't know much about Rving.  We're learning by fire.  Someone said, that "Rving is full of surprises, isn't it?"  I say, in our case, Rving is full of surprises before it begins!  I say that, Rving is like fishing, golfing, or a long motorcycle ride.  The pre-trip is as much fun as the actual event.  To put it another way, getting ready to go is as much fun as getting there. 

When I go fishing, I go through the tackle box and arrange lures, gadgets, and make sure the bait bucket doesn't have a hole in it.  Before a golf outing, I clean clubs, restock golf balls, and make sure my shoes don't leak.  The same with a long motorcycle ride. Leather, rain gear, tools, and snacks for picnics that will take place at some scenic overlook.  So, I say, what if the Rv purchased needed some work?  The discovery of the flaws in the "lemon, beater, heap, or junker" or simply an "experienced" Rv has turned us into ravenous Rv'ers. We see things differently.  We don't see a problem. What we see is a blessing; an opportunity.  Yes, we are hungry for knowledge, tips, advice.  So, we came here. At the same time that I believe that wisdom comes from seeking it from others, I also believe that one has to have the desire to seek it.  We appreciate all who offer encouragement, advice, and tips that will help us on the road.  Thank you.  We too look forward to the road ahead.

All take care and watch out for motorcycles.

Flex       

denmarc said:
Holy cow, Bill! Have a heart. Like none of us have never made a bad judgment call in our lives.

My hat's off to these people! I'm reading nothing but an awesome attitude! And I would bet my bottom dollar that any member of this forum would help any way they can.

Keep us informed. I will be watching.
I have a heart and will help with advise any way I can.
Bill

We had some of the same experience. Bought a 17 year old Adventurer DP. Looked it over the best we could. Now we are finding things that I wish I would have noticed when we bought the thing from a dealer used. Like a key to the basement compartments. When they said as is, they meant it. But I enjoy fooling with stuff as much as I do taking the family on a trip. My wife said next time we will buy new. I had to laugh. The guy right down the street has a brand new RV I see pulled up to his house on a weekend. Since we dont really have space to keep the MH in our neighborhood, I asked him where he keeps the brand spanking new and beautiful MH. He told me at the dealer. They let him take it out while they are trying to fix things since he bought it new. So, at least he is getting things fixed, but so am I while enjoying the sour sweetness of doing it my self, while drinking a glass of lemonade. :) 

BikerFlex&HappyJen said:
Good news today! After a good rain, it appears we no longer have water coming in via the back corner seams. Leaks have indeed been fixed! Before the repairs, after we pulled off the interior paneling we could see the water coming in during a rain via the corner seams and run down to the dreaded dark spot(s). Looks like we are good now! ?
We did get the outside siding back on last night. That was a good thing since we had rain coming. Still some things to buckle up via outside and then we can focus on finishing the interior.
Also, I did a few updates to the bathroom the other day, although it's not fully complete yet. It was nice to get some cosmetic things done as well.
Congratulations, you two are certainly putting in some hard work there to get things shipshape. I'm sure it will pay off with lots of wonderful adventures! Well done. ?

Gods Country said:
Well that turned into a project real fast, as things like this are apt to do. 
Looks like you have it all under control.

Thank you, God's Country.  As you said, "...that turned into a project real fast..."  It sure did.  We appreciate the encouragement. 

Back
Top Bottom