EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: The life of our lemon...  (Read 4117 times)

alan6051964

• ---
Re: The life of our lemon...
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
Hello OP, new here, but not new to tt repairs..lol. your thread had me interested to join here, so thought I would start off with just saying, my hats off to you for hanging in there, and taking it in stride !. I myself have been where you are at now, and there is nothing wrong at all with doing a little hard work to make your tt all better !. bought a 1992 Fleetwood wilderness a few years back, turns out, the roof was leaking pretty bad ?, I spent many..MANY man hours working on it, as well as cash, and with me being disabled, cash did not come easy..lol. needless to say, I have replaced my rubber roof, sky lights, paneling on the inside, floors redone, carpet down. yes..lots of work for someone that barely knows anything about this kinda work ?, but I dived in head first, and got-r-done !.lol. anyway, my hats off to you for your great work, WELL DONE !.
1992 22ft Fleetwood wilderness TT

canuckrv

• ---
    • The adventures of Oscar and the Galavan
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 06:59:50 AM »
I am watching this thread closely as we are about to start our own, we are electing to replace our roof to be sure we get all the leaks.
BWT I love the old screwdriver.
The adventures of Oscar, Frances and the Galavan
http://galavan.blogspot.ca/

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
  • Our toes belong in the sand...
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
Appreciate the motivating words Alan and Canuck. We keep plugging away at this project and it's slowly coming together for the good.
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Toyota Tundra 5.7 4WD SR5
Harley Davidson RoadKing

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 10:23:28 PM »
Appreciate the motivating words Alan and Canuck. We keep plugging away at this project and it's slowly coming together for the good.
Your welcome !. if I could get some pics to post ?, I would show you what I had to deal with ?, then you would feel better about your trailer !..lol.

wstalker1

• ---
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
I feel your pain. We bought a 12 year old motorhome and fell in love with it long before we had a clue what we were doing. When we brought it home and found a few little things wrong, decided we did not know what we had got ourselves into. The people we bought it from lied some. The roof had been torn and replaced to some degree and I did not notice , mainly because I did not do my homework about Winnebago fiberglass roofs. One thing I thought was strange is that before I bought the MH I did a carfax and it did not show the roof repair, even though it was an insurance claim. I did not have a clue about tires either, just thought they looked good. They were the original tires. Half the windows needed replacing, bed needed new pump and remotes, slide toppers leaking, tv system all messed up. Anyway, you get the picture, but it was all my own fault, for not doing my research first. Even if I put 30K into it, still a major savings over new and I can see many good years ahead. We are looking forward to a lot of traveling, and if it gets too frustrating, we will chalk it up as experience and pity the person we buy our next one from as we will do a much more thorough search. I personally would still buy used, mainly because we can't afford new and would rather someone else take the depreciation hit. Good luck. I like your attitude and there is a lot of help out there.
Will and Maria
2005 Winnebago VECTRA WKS40AD

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »
Here's the latest update for all our fellow rv'ers that are following our project. We had some nice weather last few days and we got quite a bit done. I scraped off the dirty and gross stuff around our windows and door on the one side of the camper and went around resealing all of them. They look amazing and refreshing. I also scraped off the front two corner moldings in the front of the rv because someone before us thought it was ok to caulk them with silicone. Seriously. I scraped and pulled and snapped silicone off the molding for awhile. Finally getting them prepped and ready they were finally sealed properly with Dicor non-leveling sealant. Also, sealed the seam where rubber roof meet the gutter where there was decent cracking. Additionally, the seam along the awning rail. Sealant success!

DH (Flex) did a great modification to our gutter and awning pieces. He ended up cutting them about 10 inches back from the upper/back corner. They used to end and shoot water right down our back corner seam of our camper. Now he has it being detoured away before the water gets there. Last night/today it has been raining, we went out and good news....we have no water inside whatsoever!! Tomorrow we are hoping to start putting back together the interior, beginning with the remaining subfloor. Hoping to line our back wall with tongue n groove cedar. Found a nice vinyl plank flooring that looks like grey driftwood.

Hopefully our next few updates will be a bit more exciting.

Picture 1&2 ~ before and after window sealant
Picture 3 ~ Front corner sealant complete
Picture 4 ~ Two side windows sealant completed
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:22:58 PM by BikerFlex&HappyJen »
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

redneckgearhead

• ---
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »
great work!
2012 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 235FB

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 02:22:16 AM »
great work!

X2! Don't give up. I can't help but admire your determination. I am very interested in hearing your experience on the virgin voyage of what you have built.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
Excited to give everyone an update on our progress! The walls are going back up! This is such a great time for us. DH also put the subfloor back down and now he is working on replacing the paneling pieces before we install the cedar on the wall. The entire back wall from the cabinets down to the floor will be cedar. Also, the side walls from about 33 inches on down will be cedar and then we will put up some trim/chair rail where the wall and cedar meet. We purchased some vinyl plank flooring and will also be putting that in soon.
In the bedroom area, the walls are painted and cabinet hardware has been recoated from gold to a stainless steel finish. Actually I recoated all the hardware in the rv. No more 70's gold! Lol.
There will be a lot more pictures to come as the final touches get put into place. When we can see everything starting to get out back together it gives us confidence that we are doing it and doing it well. When we are done with this, we will have a '99 Dutchmen on the outside, but an upgraded and renewed interior (and quite a bit of framing).
Also, in case you are all wondering...DH is leaving the back lower left corner without paneling. This area is within the dinette seating/storage area. He is going to be installling a plexiglass door here so we can monitor and have access in case we suspect anything. The end is nearing soon...at least, we hope so! It would be nice to finally be able to take our rv on its first excursion!

Pic 1 ~ Before flooring and paneling replacement
Pic 2 & 3 ~ paneling starting to get reinstalled
Pic 4 ~ New Subfloor
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:04:33 PM by BikerFlex&HappyJen »
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Wondering about one thing...
How did hubby get the subfloor under the sole plate of the existing walls? Reason I ask is I might have to do something similar in my TT on a small section next to the super slide?
Otherwise, it looks like you guys are well on your way to enjoying the sweat equity you have been putting into this project.
I'm proud of ya!

Keep us posted.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
Wondering about one thing...
How did hubby get the subfloor under the sole plate of the existing walls? Reason I ask is I might have to do something similar in my TT on a small section next to the super slide?
Otherwise, it looks like you guys are well on your way to enjoying the sweat equity you have been putting into this project.
I'm proud of ya!

Keep us posted.

DH used two jacks on each corner when we had the bottom aluminum siding and the back siding wall off. He use the jacks to hold up the back/side wall and then we slid the subfloor between the wall and the bottom support frame. It took some hammering to wedge it in there, but it worked. Once it was between the frame and the wall pieces, he was then able to remove the jacks and finish hammering it into exact place. We did this large back piece installation from the outside. The two pieces inside he had to use some wedges using a huge screwdriver and also a small crow bar on each side to lift just enough to slide the subfloor in between. The interior ones were much easier after we had the main piece toward the back into place. Here's a picture from earlier that kind of shows how he did the back piece from outside. You can see the large piece of subfloor that had been put in between but it's not yet in the exact place. After this picture, he removed the jacks and then hammered the large piece back and inward where it finally needed to be.
Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:15:46 PM by BikerFlex&HappyJen »
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »
Wow, your driveway's kinda steep.   ;D
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
Well, we are still plugging away at this renovation. We have had much progress lately. Replaced some of the insulation on the back wall. Replaced paneling on the back wall and most of the side wall. And FINALLY....
We have almost all of the flooring down! Still have the bathroom to do and also a small area in front of the door and the flooring will be done.
Hopefully, tomorrow we can start installing the cedar on the back wall and the side walls. I am so sore from installing the floors today. My body isn't too happy with me right now. Cutting vinyl flooring with a utility knife is not the easiest task when my arms are so wimpy. And all the hammering against the block. Whew. But, it's almost done and I'm so pleased with the progress that was made. For those who think a renovation is an easy task....it certainly is not. Especially when battling rainy weather days and you have to work outdoors on something. Despite the fact that we got an rv that needed an abundant amount of hard core renovation, we are grateful of how nice it will be when we get it completed. This isn't something I think I would ever do again, certainly not voluntarily. If we were to ever switch to a different rv, we will certainly get a newer one, maybe a year or two old, and hopefully never have to do a renovation of this magnitude again. That's just my two cents on the topic for those who might be curious how I feel this far in to our project.
Alas, here are your updated pictures! Enjoy, friends!
Pic 1 ~ insulation and flooring level goo on
Pic 2 ~ back wall paneling in place, floor goo drying
Pic 3,4&5 ~ Amazing flooring!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:32:34 PM by BikerFlex&HappyJen »
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »
I am so impressed!  Love the pics!
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 03:14:20 AM »
Wow. You guys have almost built a new unit. Fantastic job. Won't be long I guess till you can get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labour!!  :D
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2017, 07:24:16 AM »
I know this isn't as much fun for me as it is for you but I am enjoying watching your project.  I look forward to reading the explanation of your accomplishments and the photos of the work.  You absolutely have to put a really nice lemon decal on it so people can ask about it and you can tell your story and show them your book of work making lemonade from your lemon.
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Merdian
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
I know this isn't as much fun for me as it is for you but I am enjoying watching your project.  I look forward to reading the explanation of your accomplishments and the photos of the work.  You absolutely have to put a really nice lemon decal on it so people can ask about it and you can tell your story and show them your book of work making lemonade from your lemon.

Hello,ClickHill......This is Flex.   I laughed when I read your suggestion about putting a "lemon decal."  I may just do that.   Especially, since there have been moments when we ran into another challenge, only to shake my head and pucker my lips.

Thanks.   Comments like these remind me how much fun we are having....even with the puckers.

Flex
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »
DH needed a new wireless mouse for his laptop. I picked one out For him today. I think it's appropriate, all things considered...
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
After what we completed today, we couldn't help but stand back and marvel at how pleased we are at the results. It's been a long process and we were excited to get to this point where we can see a cosmetic step. It's nice to see our vision we have had finally starting to coming to life. The cedar we chose to use is incredibly light weight. Very thin. The cedar in the rv smells so incredible each morning when we walk in and start on our daily efforts. And I've been told it is a deterrent for bugs and insects?
Thanks to everyone who continues to follow our project. Here is where we are at right now. We will be grateful when we get to the day where we can post the final project completion. We are getting closer!
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
That is amazing work!
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2017, 01:25:56 AM »
Well done, looks amazing. I'll know who to call when I need a renovation  ;D

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
Thanks Cadee! We have had some bumps but overall happy with what we've done.

Jackiemac,  if it would mean going to Scotland we would jump on that opportunity in a second!  ;)
DH would hit every golf course there he could find. We would have to rent a Harley to ride the countryside. But thank you kindly sharing you encouragement. Really enjoying this forum and how helpful most have been.
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2017, 10:49:13 AM »
Out standing work so far !, hats off to ya :-). no better feeling that when you stand back, and say to yourself, what a wonderful job we/us/I/them did !!!.

HoundyBoy

• ---
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2017, 12:24:19 AM »
Love, love, LOVE what you've done with the interior - the floor and walls look fantastic! If there hadn't been any issues to fix, would you have done the floor and walls like that? If not, the lemony lemon-ness was certainly a blessing in disguise...
Vanessa and Co-Pilot Houndyboy the hound dog
2003 Fleetwood Tioga 24D

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
Vanessa,
Thank you! we would not have done any updates right away had we not the surprise of finding water damage and rotten wood. It was an expense we would not have put into the rv, at least not anytime soon. We had planned on taking it camping the week of spring break at the beginning of April. Instead, we spent it starting on the teardown and repairs.

----------------------------

Backsplash went up today! Were able to use scrap pieces for the backsplash and just bought another trim piece to match what we used on the top of the back wall. We do need one more piece for the bottom where the backsplash meets the counter. Too tired tonight to try and squeeze it in this late. It took us all day to measure and cut and attach. Being the frugal people we are, it was satisfying using more of our stuff. DH is such a great handy man and I'm so proud of how good he is at projects. We make a great team! I'm the vision, he is the brains.

Itching to get this thing out camping!! As we get closer the excitement pushes us forward.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:52:22 PM by BikerFlex&HappyJen »
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Harley Davidson RoadKing

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »
It fits the rest of the trailer perfectly.  I would have suggested using Smart Tiles, and I would have been wrong, I like your back splash better, Very nice!
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 02:44:24 AM »
Looks fantastic! I wonder if doing this has made you even more excited about going out and using it?

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 06:08:42 AM »
So impressive!  What a labor of love!
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

boatbuilder

• ---
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
Looks great.  More like a cozy cabin than a TT.
Charlie

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »
I'm having some lemon withdraw - what's up?  I need some lemon update to quench my need.
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Hosted by Over The Network