2012 Winnebago Via electrical problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rswiat

I have a 2012 Winnebago Via.  I noticed the switches to disconnect the house batteries and turn off the steps weren't functioning.  I checked the breaker panel located in the outside storage compartment located by the steps and found three of the push button breakers labeled: "electric step control", "electric step ignition", and "battery mode switch" were tripped.  I figured they were like a GFCI outlet so I pressed them in but none of them would "click" in they were just moving loosely in and out.  I could see signs mainly rust that the compartment with the breaker panel and solenoids had moisture get in it although it is dry at this time.  I'm not sure what to do next since I'm not familiar with these push button breakers.  I figured they would push in an click to reset, but they remain loose, sliding in and out.
The steps work with the door opening and closing.  I don't have any 12 volt house power so the battery disconnect must be in the disconnect mode.

Any suggestions of what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

That's a bit odd the breakers won't reset, they should push in and stay there. It sounds like you have an issue with house and/or chassis power. What activity preceded this situation? Were you bringing your unit out of storage? Did you change batteries? Other?

Hi John

There was evidence....rusty screws and some corrosion... in the area where the breaker panel is and behind it where the solenoid is that controls battery disconnect.  I checked the two 5 amp blade type fuses at the solenoid and they were not blown.  As far as the moisture indications, the area is dry now but I remember a time a few months ago where I discovered that storage compartment where the breaker panel is located was extremely damp.  I couldn't determine how it got that way and it hasn't happened since.  I've had a problem a few months ago of the steps not deploying.  I went through the procedure to clean the connections underneath and lubricating but that didn't help, however by starting the engine I got them to work and then the continued to operate normally with an occasional occurrence of them not deploying.  In such cases starting the engine got them behaving normally again.  A few weeks ago while on a trip I discovered I couldn't turn off the steps using the switch by the door.  I also discovered and adjacent switch used to disconnect the house batteries didn't work....the led light indicated house batteries connected and when I pressed the switch it didn't disconnect the batteries.  I made it home a few days ago.  The next day after arriving home I noticed the battery disconnect led light was out and the house had no power.  I started the coach and still no house power.  That's when I remove the panel in the compartment where the breakers and solenoid is located. And that's where I'm at today formulating a strategy to run this down.

Be sure you have good (and fully charged) batteries before delving further into the mysteries of the panel!

Ernie

What Ernie said!

Regarding the moisture, it's not uncommon for compartments to leak when driving in rain - on your to-do list should be investigating the assumed leak. Put a bright light in the compartment at night and see if you have any light leakage. It sounds like you are having sporadic and random battery related events which I could attribute to bad batteries and/or a poor connection somewhere. If your batteries are three to five years old, they are at or near end of life and should be replaced as a first step.

Back
Top Bottom