Oops broke the small kitchen sink cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willh2o

Oops, the small corian sink cover on our 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 35 u broke in half. Any great suggestions on repairing or replacement? 

I'll try to figure out how to attach a photo, but it's light mottled tan, about 1/8" thick.

Thanks,

Sandra and 89 year old Papa

Here's Dupont's Use & Care Instructions for Corian, but they don't address how to repair a break.  I believe Dupont makes color matched adhesives for this, but they may only be available to certified dealer/repair folks.  Since it's a portable piece I'd be tempted to take it to some local countertop folks and see what they have to say.

My 04 TT did not have one at all, but did have the lip on the kitchen sink to hold one. I made my own. I went to Home depot and purchased a piece of dry erase board material. Smooth shiny white on one side and a brown color on other. I had to make a template of the area and then cut it with a jig saw. I drilled a hole it it large enough for my finger to poke thru to lift it out. The extra scrap material worked great as a liner for the storage compartment to slide things on in and out. The sink top worked well. For the 10 bux spent it was nice to gain the counter space. I can promise you, it will cost alot more than that for someone to make one from corian. Try this idea, or get some good glue from the glue aisle.

I'm thinking repairing it would be more trouble than it's worth. And probably not near as strong as the original.
How about checking RV salvage yards and surplus stores? Do the Google thing.  Or if you know someone good with woodworking, maybe a butcher block type cover could be constructed to fit the sink? A nice light grained hardwood would look sharp with the counter top you described. 

I have wood covers in my TT that I also use as cutting boards. Comes in real handy and don't have to store a separate cutting board.
Just a thought.

I used gorilla glue clamped with long clamps. I sanded the finished fix with 2000 sandpaper. It looked OK, but you could see the crack. Over time, the crack has been more visible. The cost of repair was way cheaper than the $350 for a new one.

I wouldn't give up on a repair. I had a trim piece on our Corian stove cover come loose and glued it back on with cyanoacrylate (CA) glue, also known as 'super glue.' It was a good repair and has lasted a few years. Epoxy might be as good or better than CA but is messier to use.

As others have said, the pieces can be glued back together, though since it is often used to carry weight, that may not be strong enough. I would probably glue a reinforcing plate under the break, at least 3-4 inches wider than the crack line.  Corian is a porous material and readily glue-able with any type glue that works on porous materials like pottery.

Or have a cabinet shop make you a replacement piece is some suitable matching color. Doesn't have to be corian either - you might choose wood and have a spare cutting baord as well. Most kitchen & cabinet shops have leftover pieces of corian or hardwoods or mica that are large enough to make a sink cover, though some of them won't want to bother with a small job like that. Ask around.

There are even online shops that will cut Corian (or other solid surface brand) to order. Here's one:
http://solidsurface.com/blog/how-to-order-corian-cut-to-a-custom-size/

Here is a couple of pictures (I hope) of my repaired sink cover. One is of the overall cover and the other is a closeup. I used the regular Gorilla glue at that time. The crack was not very visible but it darkened with time. There is a white Gorilla glue available now. It would probably be better.

Attachments

• IMG_0449 (1296 x 972).jpg
    IMG_0449 (1296 x 972).jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0450 (1296 x 972).jpg
    IMG_0450 (1296 x 972).jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 17
A few points.

Your countertop should be made of a solid surface product made by Vendura (http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/hairdog52/IMG_1340.jpg). That is, if the Suncruiser used the same product as the Adventurer.

Solid surface is by nature repairable. It's a manmade product. With the correct "glue" the repair will be the same as the surrounding material.

I broke one of mine. $150 for a new one from Winnebago, no thanks. I got VERY lucky and found a used pair on ebay. Mine is a color called Almondine. The colors are in the parts manuals online.

Edit:
Checked the manuals. Vendura it is. Color appears to be either Rocky Mountain, or Quarry. The countertops are shown as one color the sinktops the other. Typo perhaps?

A similar thread about a cracked '04 Itasca cover

And only Rocky Mountain appears at the Vendura website, and "quarry" is in the filename at their site. Image attached. That must be it?

Attachments

• Quarry-Rocky-Mountain-300x108[1].jpg
    Quarry-Rocky-Mountain-300x108[1].jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 4
There is an adhesive for solid surface material.  I would see if a local cabinet shop has the adhesive and could glue the pieces together and add a backer to reinforce it.

Back
Top Bottom