Heater Vent Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BristolKing

What is the sealant used to seal around the suburban style heater vent on a travel trailer ? It looks like the city water, tail lights etc. were all sealed with the same stuff. It is pliable and almost feels like a white/grey window caulk. Held up well and kept water out everywhere and the heat from the vent did not dry it out or did -20 below temps. Would like to use same kind, and must be heat resistant for the furnace vent. Thank you.

Simple answer. Go to any major RV dealer or Camping World in your area. Ask at the parts counter and they should have it. Common stuff. Easy to work with. Just make sure mating surfaces are clean as possible and no stripped out screw holes.
Rebuilt my water heater once. Needed the same stuff come time to reinstall. Found about a half dozen screw holes stripped out.

If its around the furnace area its called "thumb gum" and sold at Home depot in heating cooling area, either in a small box in stick form like a putty. OR at a heating cooling supplier.

If around the windows and door trim etc. that's sold at RV dealers and is on a roll like a white putty about 10 bux

There are probably two different seal materials. One will be under the metal flange of the vent and it will be the gummy tape type that others have mentioned. The other is probably just a water seal bead around the top and side edges, mostly cosmetic but aids in keeping water from penetrating behind the flange. Any decent brand of RV caulk, e.g. Geocel Proflex RV, should handle that. The flange doesn't get all that hot or the sidewalls and paint would be damaged.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
There are probably two different seal materials.

Yep. I forgot about that part. The Proflex works well. If you're not good at caulking and want it to look its best, find someone who is familiar with the tricks of caulking and applying sealers. A pro would be the best. Perhaps someone who installs windows or bathroom enclosures.

I'm a pretty handy guy. But one thing I can't do to save my life is run a nice looking bead of caulking/silicone sealer! When I reinstalled my water heater and tried to make the final bead of Proflex look really nice... :mad: :mad: :mad:

You get the idea.

denmarc said:
Yep. I forgot about that part. The Proflex works well. If you're not good at caulking and want it to look its best, find someone who is familiar with the tricks of caulking and applying sealers. A pro would be the best. Perhaps someone who installs windows or bathroom enclosures.

I'm a pretty handy guy. But one thing I can't do to save my life is run a nice looking bead of caulking/silicone sealer! When I reinstalled my water heater and tried to make the final bead of Proflex look really nice... :mad: :mad: :mad:

You get the idea.

Run masking tape on both sides of where you want the bead. Put down caulk, wipe with a wet finger if you want a concave bead, then immediately pull of the tape. Viola! perfect caulking.

kdbgoat said:
Run masking tape on both sides of where you want the bead. Put down caulk, wipe with a wet finger if you want a concave bead, then immediately pull of the tape. Viola! perfect caulking.

I know. Have heard similar suggestions. Still looks like crap. And then I see these guys who know the tricks of the trade just spit down a bead straight out of the gun and make it look perfect. Drives me crazy.

I guess it's just one of those things that I was never meant to perfect.  ;) ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom