NC to Yosemite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypowellnc

We are considering a road trip to Yosemite from NC.  We are planning to stay at Yosemite Ridge resort.  Obviously that means I-40 to CA.  From 40 it's CA 58, CA 99, CA 140 and CA 49 to CA 120.  My main concern is CA 49.  It looks very twisty and windy from CA 140 to the park.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.  Happy RVing everyone.

larrypowellnc said:
We are considering a road trip to Yosemite from NC.  We are planning to stay at Yosemite Ridge resort.  Obviously that means I-40 to CA.  From 40 it's CA 58, CA 99, CA 140 and CA 49 to CA 120.  My main concern is CA 49.  It looks very twisty and windy from CA 140 to the park.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.  Happy RVing everyone.
The way I have gone in the last couple of times is to go further north on 99 You can cut off on 108 to CA-120 into the park. Not a bad road. Yes you will have some twistey road and steep climb into the park at New Priest Grade. Look at Googel. Just take your time and when you come back out use your engine to help with the breaking.
Bill

I don't know anything about the west side entrance to Yosemite because we live 3 hours southeast of Yosemite off the 395.  We like to travel the CA-120 from Lee Vining on the east side to the Yosemite Valley.  We have driven our 30ft MH down this road with ease a couple times over the past few years.  If you were to take the 395N from the 58 you could stop in Lone Pine and see Mt Whitney, check out Alabama Hills where many of the old western movies were filmed, you could stop in Bishop where there are endless adventures, Mammoth Lakes and June Lake which are on this route and provide quite the scenery anytime of the year. 

From what I hear(I have 2 sons who work in Yosemite Valley), Tioga Pass may not open until July.  Might be best to stick with 140, depending on the timing of the trip.

Yosemite Ridge Resort in Groveland? You didn't give an estimate of your timeline, but be aware, Big Oak Flat Road inside the west (Hwy 120) entrance of Yosemite is closed with no estimate for reopening.

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/291366/progress-made-on-big-oak-flat-road-no-estimated-re-opening-date.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom