WiFi antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
What do folks use to boost signal from a WiFi tower? At our summer place, we have a generous WiFi allowance, but we have a weak signal at our site from any of the park towers.

I use one of these, available on eBay. Cost is about $50.

46dBm Outdoor Flat Panel WIFI N 150Mbps WLAN Super Range Booster Wireless USB

If you can get somewhat of a signal, this device will give good service. You just point and connect the USB cable into the computer. The software will give signal strengths and a few other features.

The cost, for what you get, is very good. I have 2 of them.

Thanks Wayne, much appreciated. I was thinking of mounting an antenna on the roof of the coach. I currently have an "open hole" in the roof from removing an old sat dish cable, and thought this would be a good time to run an antenna wire before I seal up the hole.

Do you have a network router for one or more computers/devices or do you go directly to the WiFi signal to your laptop? I am looking to set up my own network since there are four of us connected at once. I have not done it yet, but it is on my list. with the USB antennas, you need one for device you want to connect top the network. Remember with antennas, as in the sound of a generator, the dB scale is logarithmic. For every 3dB increase in the antenna the gain is doubled.

Thanks. I can go with or without a router (have a couple). I usually use a Verizon JetPack when we're there, but I could use the additional bandwidth allowance from the park WiFi; If nothing else, we're paying for it in our annual dues. As an EE, I understand dB.

The JetPack was purchased, so no monthly device fee. 24GB of anytime data is shared between the JetPack and our phones runs $110/month. I can throttle it back for low usage periods and save some $$ monthly. I also have a grandfathered T-mobile plan that costs $30/month, but not very usable in the west. Here at home I have 1TB of data on cable, but can't take it with me  :(

The unit is an adapter and one would be needed for each computer. I have had good performance with it.

The included cable is only 40" long, so a longer cable is necessary for most applications.

I used it one time when I could see the Bar where the router was located but could not get the computer to work. The adapter gave good free WiFi as long as I was there.

Tom said:
Thanks. I can go with or without a router (have a couple). I usually use a Verizon JetPack when we're there, but I could use the additional bandwidth allowance from the park WiFi; If nothing else, we're paying for it in our annual dues. As an EE, I understand dB.

As an EE as well I was just going to get a repeater, and find a nice omni directional antenna. One I can hook up outside temporarily while we are parked.  Run its coax to the SMA input/output on the repeater. I have Metro PCS here locally but when i run a hotspot with the kids it really hits the data limits PDQ. That is the plan at least, when I get the time!   

I am presently using one of these at the house, also obtained from eBay.

Hawking Technology HI-Gain HOW2R1 Outdoor Wireless-N Dual Radio Smart Repeater, I paid $179.

It works great, I can now use my computers anywhere in the house. No cables or wires needed. It is sitting in the living room closest to my WiFi source, so I will have to mount it outside. Where it needs to be installed is a problem because of 120V availability. I will probably put it off until next fall.

I don't think it will work at my other traveling locations as well as the antenna adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Blurex-Wireless-N-Network-performance-increase/dp/B00KXAFYZS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks Joel. It's currently unavailable, with no indication if or when it will be.

Tom said:
Thanks Joel. It's currently unavailable, with no indication if or when it will be.

Is this the same thing Tom?

http://www.sears.com/blurex-long-range-wireless-n-wifi-network/p-SPM11964308132?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&gclid=CO-DvNrlkNMCFYmPswod5-MLpQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have been using PDQ Connect on our boat and RV. It picks stuff up over a mile away. The best reason I like it is you only log in once. All of the devices log into the PDQ which are now automatic.

It is a little expensive, but well worth it. It also creates a wireless network just for the boat or coach. The wireless router has 4 RJ45 slots for printers or other devices.

It is designed for a permanent mount, but I just set it on the helm or the dash. Plug in the router, and use a MacBook to log into the marina or campground wireless. Once that is done, all of the other devices logon automatically.

Also, a little secret. Some marinas and campgrounds charge per login. Once you create the login with that account all devices can use the internet.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom