Route Suggestions from Alliance NE to Mount Rushmore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dambluebird

We will be making a trip form TN to Alliance NE (have that route worked out) but seeking best route from Alliance NE to Mount Rushmore.  We will be traveling in a 32' RV and not towing anything.  Many thanks in advance..

Ah, Carhenge.  One of my favorite cheesy roadside attractions.

We left from Custer SD, which is where we stayed while doing Mt Rushmore and the area, and followed 385 right to Alliance.  Google maps shows it right at 2 1/2 hours, but I think it took us closer to 4 with souvenir stops and a stop for some buffalo in the road.

Great thank you!  Yes, we are doing a road trip for our high school graduation gift, and thought Carhenge would be a great roadside attraction for our trip!  We were debating on stopping at Custer State Park or going straight through to Mt. Rushmore.

We drove through Custer State park(no room at the inn)and ended up staying at a private campground in Custer itself(Custer's Gulch).  I've read less than stellar reviews of that park on here, but we were tent camping at the time and thought it was the bee's knees.
The road from Custer to Alliance is mostly 2 lane but pretty good road, and not a whole bunch of traffic.

Not sure what your camping plans are, or when you're going, but if you are going to unhook and drive around I would recommend you follow 385/18 north, then stay on 79. It's a lightly traveled 4 lane road, nice and flat. Just as you come into Rapid City, bear right on 16 (it's a kind of bypass) and it will take you to interstate 90. There are several campgrounds north of Rapid and you will avoid pulling the camper up and down a lot of hills and traffic. Even if your destination is a campground in the Black Hills, ( and there are some beautiful ones) you might be better off coming in from the north. Just a suggestion. I grew up there and go back usually a couple times a year. Happy camping!

Boonieman

Thank you. We will be in a 32' motorhome and not towing a vehicle.  We were considering staying in Custer State Park and then driving to Mt. Rushmore the following morning, then we are headed to Yellowstone.  We are traveling pretty much the entire month of June making our way to California (Redwood Forest, San Francisco for Alcatraz, Golden Gate, Yosemite) then headed to Grand Canyon and back to TN. Thanks again!

Sorry, I must have mis-read, thought you were towing Sounds like and awesome time. On your way I hope you swing thru Belle Fourche (Bell foosh) and see Devils Tower. Goods roads and awesome scenery and not too far off 90. Angostura Lake has a nice campground, right before you get to Custer. Safe travels to you!

I will check out Belle Fourche and Devils Tower, they were not on my list (which seems to be growing...LOL) and thank you for the campground recommendation.  Thank you so much again, this info is helpful!  Happy camping  ;)

Back
Top Bottom