From Kanab to Moab, UT via 89, 160, 191?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rev-n-awe

I'm wondering about the route from Kanab, UT to Moab, UT - particularly, taking 89 east/south to 160 north/east to 192 north.

I have the Mountain Directory West manual and have read up on the passes. I have taken this rig and tow vehicle over Powder River Pass (US16, west-bound into Ten Sleep, WY) and Monarch Pass (US50, east-bound into Poncha Springs, CO) among other passes - but those are relatively tough ones that stick out to me.

So: how does 89/160/191 in UT & AZ heading east & north compare to those two passes?

Thank you for your feedback.

Bonus question: the Mountain Directory West manual doesn't show or mention the route on 98 from Page, AZ to US160. I assume that's a bad option, but I'd like to know for sure. Thank you again.

compared to those passes the highways to Page/Moab are mild.  There's one highway south of Page that was closed for a while but probably open by now.

rev-n-awe said:
Bonus question: the Mountain Directory West manual doesn't show or mention the route on 98 from Page, AZ to US160. I assume that's a bad option, but I'd like to know for sure. Thank you again.

I assume that's the "shortcut" to 160 that goes by the big coal based power plant... two lane highway, kinda curvy but OK.  Been over it many times in the RV.

taoshum said:
I assume that's the "shortcut" to 160 that goes by the big coal based power plant... two lane highway, kinda curvy but OK.  Been over it many times in the RV.
Yep - that's the one. Thank you for the info and help, taoshum - it's a big confidence builder. I just confirmed that my Rand McNally RV GPS iPad app does offer that as a valid route between Kanab and Moab. (I didn't realize it would let me set an origin location besides my current GPS location, and then base a route from there.)

I'm looking forward to the drive that day. Still interested if any others have anything to add about this route.

It sounds like you are planing on making the about 350 mile drive in one day.  Is there some reason you are taking that winding 2 lane drive instead of taking the somewhat shorter and much faster route by going north on US-89 to I-70 and then east to Moab?  It's not like you will be doing much sightseeing on the longer route. 

AStravelers said:
It sounds like you are planing on making the about 350 mile drive in one day.  Is there some reason you are taking that winding 2 lane drive instead of taking the somewhat shorter and much faster route by going north on US-89 to I-70 and then east to Moab?  It's not like you will be doing much sightseeing on the longer route.

Fair question - my short answer is: I've never been this proposed route, while I have either already been on the other route (I-70 to Moab) or will have been on that section of road on my way into Kanab this Summer. And we very much enjoy all kinds of views/sites and thought we'd appreciate some of the views that way. It doesn't seem that much more out of the way or longer to me, and we'll have several days in Moab to recover. :) Thanks for chiming in!

If I was in the Monument Valley area, and didn't mind boondocking a night, I'd stay at Goosenecks State Park.  Absolutely nothing there except dry camping spots and an awesome view.

Attachments

• 20161016_170206.jpg
    20161016_170206.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 4
AStravelers said:
I agree, that is a very good reason for taking your preferred route.

For my personal preference I would not want to take the hwy 89, 160, 191 route in one day.  It would be much more enjoyable to take 2-3 days for the drive if you have the time.  One night at Lake Powell, one night in Monument Valley at one of these campgrounds: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/utah/monument-valley

I see your point - yes, unfortunately this time around we won't have the extra day to stay. It's a 5-week trip throughout the West, and I plopped Kanab in between my stops at Heber City and Moab - so we're already on a bit of a "diversion"? though, Lord willing, one day we will return and spend more time in this entire area.

Really appreciate the conversation everyone - thanks much.

I have taken the US89, AZ98, US160, US163, US191 route a few times. AZ98 is a good, fairly flat, 2 lane highway through the reservation, but keep on the lookout for horses and other livestock. The steeper parts are on US 163 and US191. You can also stay on US160 to US191 and bypass Monument Valley, it is only a couple of miles different. Last time I was through there US160 and US163 both have some rough spots.

dkreuzen said:
I have taken the US89, AZ98, US160, US163, US191 route a few times. AZ98 is a good, fairly flat, 2 lane highway through the reservation, but keep on the lookout for horses and other livestock. The steeper parts are on US 163 and US191. You can also stay on US160 to US191 and bypass Monument Valley, it is only a couple of miles different. Last time I was through there US160 and US163 both have some rough spots.

Excellent, Dennis - thank you for that. I think we'll plan to go US163 and get a glimpse of the Valley for future trips. And plan to stop on the north/east side and take a look back at the iconic view!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom