TV mounting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don_and_Deb

I'm getting ready to yank out the inoperative 19" tube TV in the front of my Holiday Rambler and replace it with a 32" flat screen TV.  However, I want to mount the TV behind the dinette on the wall that backs the shower.  Basically, where you see the mirror in the attached picture is where I'd like to mount the TV.

Has anyone else done this?  It seems that the wall is deep enough that screws would work with wall anchors, but I'm concerned about the weight that would be hanging on the thin wallboard.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Dinette.jpg
    Dinette.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 98
Don't hang it with only the wallboard for support.  Cut a piece of 5/8' plywood large enough to fasten to a few of the studs in the wall and then mount the TV on the plywood.  If you use a moveable TV mounting arm, then make a strap to hold the TV against the wall while traveling. 

On my Class A MH I pulled the 26" picture tube TV out from between the passenger and drivers seat and mounted a 32" TV pretty much the way I described above.  An added bonus is I have some storage space behind the TV now. 

Ditto what ASTravelers says. You need to find some support structure behind that wall panel to screw into. It probably won't be much, but it's far better than anchors into the thin wallboard.

The standard VESA wall mounts aren't really designed for the hazards of RV travel either. Houses don't bounce over potholes and RR tracks! The VESA mounts themselves are usually plenty strong, but the bolt holes in the tv cabinet are only plastic. I had one tv break two of the four bolt holes in the tv case in just a year of routine travel, and it was a modest Samsung 23" model. After that, I supported the bottom edge of both tvs with a piece of aluminum angle painted to match.  That took much of the shear force off the flimsy VESA bolt holes.

I did what you are talking about in my previous class "C."  I used a stud finder to find wires and studs.  I made sure that one side of the mount hit a stud and on the others I drilled all the way thru the wall and used acorn nuts on the bathroom side.  Modern day flat panels weigh less then you think, and even if you had to, both wall boards would support the weight.

Re VESA mounts.  I have my 32" flat screen LED TV in my MH mounted with a VESA mount I bought at Sam's Club.  The TV and mount were installed 3 years and about 35,000 miles ago.  I do have a 2" wide strap which pulls the RV back against 2 large foam bumpers so, while traveling, the VESA mount is not supporting the load of the TV.  This mileage includes last years 4.5 month trip to/from Alaska.  While in Alaska we drove the MH 230 miles (460 miles round trip) up the bumpy mostly gravel/dirt Dalton Hwy (the haul road for the Alaska Pipeline).   

I am sure that if I hadn't supported the TV with the strap that either the mount would have broken or the TV housing would have broken. 

It sure makes it nice to be able to pull the TV out and turn it for easy viewing from our recliners.

during my remodel I removed the paneling that covered the wall that I had planned on putting the flat screen tv . if you have access to a small finish stapler (more than the one you might have for paper work) you can remove the paneling and add internal support . I was in the middle of a remodel (still am ) so it was a no brainer for me.

Thanks for all the advice!  I will mount some sort of wood piece to the wall studs as suggested, and I like the angle aluminum idea to take the stress off the TV cabinet.  I'll post pics of how it looks when I'm finished.

Yep, we sure did. I had a moment of d?j? vu when I looked at your picture, we also have a Holiday Rambler that is a 1999. It's been up for two years and we went about 8000 miles never had a problem. My husband said he mounted into the studs.

Attachments

• IMG_0043 copy.jpeg
    IMG_0043 copy.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 58
I'm so glad you posted this!  I've been going back and forth about where to hang the TV, but now that I know that you guys did it successfully I will hang mine in that spot as well.  What type of TV mount did you use?  I've got an articulated arm-type mount but would be fine with buying a (as much as possible) flush mount.

Also curious...what did you guys do with the hole left by the old tube TV up front?  I'm thinking about either installing a pull-out drawer with a cabinet door on the front or just putting cabinet doors and shelving in that spot.

Don_and_Deb said:
I'm so glad you posted this!  I've been going back and forth about where to hang the TV, but now that I know that you guys did it successfully I will hang mine in that spot as well.  What type of TV mount did you use?  I've got an articulated arm-type mount but would be fine with buying a (as much as possible) flush mount.

Also curious...what did you guys do with the hole left by the old tube TV up front?  I'm thinking about either installing a pull-out drawer with a cabinet door on the front or just putting cabinet doors and shelving in that spot.
I removed the old tube TV up front between the driver & Passenger seats, used the very strong brackets which held the old TV to fasten a sheet of 3/4" plywood to, and then mounted the articulated arm to.  I use a buckle strap to pull the new 32" LED TV back against a pair of foam pads when we travel. 

AStravelers said:
I removed the old tube TV up front between the driver & Passenger seats, used the very strong brackets which held the old TV to fasten a sheet of 3/4" plywood to, and then mounted the articulated arm to.  I use a buckle strap to pull the new 32" LED TV back against a pair of foam pads when we travel.

I thought about doing this, but the TV we want to use in ours is a bit too wide for the space, so I had to come up with a solution that would keep it up out of the way.  I like the foam pads/buckle strap idea, though!

Don_and_Deb said:
I thought about doing this, but the TV we want to use in ours is a bit too wide for the space, so I had to come up with a solution that would keep it up out of the way.  I like the foam pads/buckle strap idea, though!
My 32" TV is too wide for the space the old 26" picture tube RV sat in, so with the arm it sits just outside the cabinet (just the width of the RV outside the cabinet) when traveling.  When parked I extend the arm and point the TV toward our recliners we have in place of the sofa.  I did want a larger TV about 40-44", but then the TV would block the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. 

We used just a regular TV mount, just like at home, that does not move.  We put a small electric fireplace in the hole that was created from the old TV.  It works really well to heat the living area too!!!!

sswon1 said:
We used just a regular TV mount, just like at home, that does not move.  We put a small electric fireplace in the hole that was created from the old TV.  It works really well to heat the living area too!!!!

What a great idea!  I had noticed that the front of the living area tended to stay cool even when the furnace was running.  Your idea would fix that nicely :)  Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom